Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Problem with justify

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question: I just bought a mobipocket book from fictionwise.com, and when I try to read it on my cybook, the text is not justified. I tried switching off and on again the 'justify text' option, with no results. Other mobipocket books show a nice justified text.

Does anybody have any idea of what's wrong (and if it's a problem with the file or my cybook)?
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket recommends against the practice, but some ebooks have the justification type specified in the document. In such cases, there is nothing you can do short of exploding the ebook and editing it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To clarify what wallcraft said:

If an eBook explicity specifies its justification with, for example:

<div align=justify> ..... </div>

then you're stuck with whatever justification is specified.

Mobi's recommendation is that you DON'T specifiy it. ie just use:

<div> ..... </div> (or <p> ... </p> if you prefer)

since that allows the user to set the justification
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Thanks for the answers. I'll have a look at the mobiperl tools to see if I can fix this. In the meantime I've written to fictionwise, maybe they can do something on their end.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
chlorine
Addict

Problem solved, thanks!

After _some_ trials and errors I managed to convert the file to html and then to replace all left aligned paragraphs with justified paragraphs. Looks much better now!
Advert