Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Go to "Settings /General / About / Applications" and it'll tell you which apps are incompatible.
Thanks.

Looks like all six of my non-bird Audubon guides are going to be incompatible (Fishes, Trees, Insects & Spiders, etc.). I also see they are no longer available in the app store.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #47
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I have six apps which wont be compatible and I am *really* annoyed about one of them because the dev is happy to take money for it even now, and even though its not going to survive iOS11. But, he's not Robinson Crusoe, I've seen a lot which are doing the same thing. Ever so glad my password manager will still work. It was a bit touch and go for a while.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #48
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
As an iPhone 6 Plus user, I'm a bit annoyed that they are shifting some of the control center controls to force touch menus.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #49
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
As an iPhone 6 Plus user, I'm a bit annoyed that they are shifting some of the control center controls to force touch menus.
You can turn force touch off of course (and then you need to long press). And adjust the sensitivity. What is your issue with it? I don't have an iPhone (yet), so I'm curious. Seems like a good thing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #50
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can turn force touch off of course (and then you need to long press). And adjust the sensitivity. What is your issue with it? I don't have an iPhone (yet), so I'm curious. Seems like a good thing.
There is no such long press option on an iPhone 6. The force touch functions simply do not exist on these older devices. (which may be a good thing overall, since they're already pretty starved for RAM)

Last edited by Dylrob; 06-16-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #51
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
Quote:

Hopefully there's some kind of alternative for iPhones with no force touch. iPads don't have it so maybe they'll use the control center with that coding?

I have an iPhone 7 so I do have force touch but I usually forget it's an option. I like the features when I remember that they're there.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #52
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm looking forward to iOS 11. It seems to incorporate more functional improvements than past updates that are actually useful and will help improve productivity. Not just aesthetics.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #53
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
There is no such long press option on an iPhone 6. The force touch functions simply do not exist on these older devices. (which may be a good thing overall, since they're already pretty starved for RAM)
Got it. I think it just maps to long press - but in any case it will map to something.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #54
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does anyone know whether with iOS 11, split view now works with all apps or does the app still need to be specifically written to support it?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:37 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Does anyone know whether with iOS 11, split view now works with all apps or does the app still need to be specifically written to support it?
I think it'll always be necessary for an app to register itself as "split view aware". Some apps (some games in particular) assume that they control the entire screen. They're generally the ones that always run in either landscape or portrait mode, and don't support screen rotation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:34 AM   #56
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Yes, as Harry says - An app has to be developed specifically to support it.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I only have two:
  • MyConvert
  • Google Earth

I'm sure Google Earth will get updated, but even if it doesn't it is no big deal as the other map apps all have satellite views, including Google Maps. I don't even remember the last time I used Google Earth, it has been a long time. The myConvert app is an old math conversion app. There are tons of these available.
I'm now down to only one incompatible app, MyConvert.

Google Earth 9 just arrived this morning in my updates. The update description calls it a major update. At any rate, it is no longer listed in the incompatible list.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #58
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Rumors have it that the Apple announcement will be on Sept. 12th. If that is the case, then it's likely that iOS 11 will be released to the general public within a week of that date.

I suspect the most recent beta is pretty close to what is going to be released. More than anything, I think that how well iOS 11 will be received will depend more on how well apps take advantage of it, than of anything out of the box in the OS. The beta doesn't really include updated Apple apps, so it's pretty hard to determine if there is anything that makes me go Wow. A lot of apps have been releasing new versions in the past week. I suspect it's mostly compatibility releases.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #59
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Invitations have gone out for the event
https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/31/1...2th-invitation
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #60
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
IOS 11 will become available September 19 (tuesday).
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote