Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #1
FlyingFoxx
FlyingFoxx began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Question Looking for something depressing...

Hello, first time posting.

I'm looking for a novel that is very deep and depressing. Ideally focusing on one protagonist. I generally don't like books with romance. I love Catcher In The Rye, Brave New World, The Sun Also Rises, and Crime and Punishment. Also, for any of you music buffs, I'm going through an Elliott Smith (self-titled) phase, so thats the kind of vibe I'm going for. Hope I don't sound like an asshole... I'm just looking for advice.

Thanks

WJS
FlyingFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm not sure if it fits as there is a bit of romance involved but have you considered "Jane Eyre" as a possibility? Certainly there is an element of depressing events in that novel.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
The Road.
The most depressing book I ever had the misfortune to read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_road
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. A non fiction account of the murder of a family in Kansas. Warning: graphic and depressing.

Last edited by MickeyC; 02-17-2014 at 07:11 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy. Inward-looking protagonist, deeply depressing, gut-wrenching conclusion.

Last edited by issybird; 02-17-2014 at 07:46 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
december
Nameless Being

If you're interested in science fiction, you might want to give Peter Watts a try - Blindsight and Starfish are both excellent books, but incredibly, incredibly bleak. The man has some truly brilliant ideas on how biotechnology (and humanity itself) might evolve in the not-too-distant future, but ye gods, it's not a journey for the faint-hearted.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
If you like dogs: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10132873
Supposedly a retelling of Hamlet.

The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling I found depressing.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I found On The Beach by Nevil Shute very depressing.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Good Neighbors by Ryan David Jahn, based on the Kitty Genovese murder that became a symbol of urban apathy.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Straight to You by David Moody-

Quote:
The sun is dying. The temperature around the world is rising by the hour with no sign of any respite. At this rate the planet will soon become uninhabitable; all life extinguished. It might be weeks away, it might be days... we may only have hours remaining. Society is crumbling. The burning world is descending into chaos.
Steven Johnson's wife is hundreds of miles away and all that matters is reaching her before the end. He has to act now, no time to stop and think. Every second is precious. Tomorrow is too late.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
FlyingFoxx
FlyingFoxx began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Some good choices...

I'm really interested in The Road and On the Beach based on what I've heard online. Can anyone tell me more about those without spoilers? Whenever I try to research a book online I always ruin the ending for myself. Also, I've always been interested in Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. Anyone read that? Thoughts?
FlyingFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFoxx View Post
I'm really interested in The Road and On the Beach based on what I've heard online. Can anyone tell me more about those without spoilers?
One of my favorite author authors, Anthony Trollope, had a different perspective on spoilers:

Quote:
But let the gentle-hearted reader be under no apprehension whatsoever. It is not destined that Eleanor shall marry Mr. Slope or Bertie Stanhope. And here perhaps it may be allowed to the novelist to explain his views on a very important point in the art of telling tales. . .

Our doctrine is that the author and the reader should move along together in full confidence with each other. Let the personages of the drama undergo ever so complete a comedy of errors among themselves, but let the spectator never mistake the Syracusan for the Ephesian; otherwise he is one of the dupes, and the part of a dupe is never dignified.
As for the two books mentioned, they are post-apocalyptic. Most people on earth have died, and then more die.

Another novel in that category, which I recently read, is Earth Abides by George R. Stewart. It's less pessimistic than On the Beach, but more than depressing enough.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
There are a couple books in this list that I have read fairly recently and really enjoyed (Earth Abides, Blindsight). I didn't think they were particularly depressing at the time, but that was because I was enjoying them a lot. Looking back, yes they were, especially Blindsight.

Another one would be 1984. Great book, but really depressing for me.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Flowers for Algernon. Science Fiction, but with a soft edge.

From Wikipedia:

The eponymous Algernon is a laboratory mouse who has undergone surgery to increase his intelligence by artificial means. The story is told by a series of progress reports written by Charlie Gordon, the first human test subject for the surgery, and it touches upon many different ethical and moral themes such as the treatment of the mentally disabled.
In 1958, Keyes was approached by Galaxy Science Fiction magazine to write a story, at which point the different elements of Flowers for Algernon fell into place. When the story was submitted to Galaxy, however, the editor suggested changing the ending so that Charlie ... lived happily ever after. Keyes refused to make the change and sold the story to The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction instead.
A pivotal moment occurred in 1957 while Keyes was teaching English to students with special needs; one of them asked him if it would be possible to be put into a regular class if he worked hard and became smart.

I've read both the original short story and the novel. I think the short story is more powerful, but the novel is still extremely good. And, very depressing.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Another one that is depressing at least in part is Stephen King's "The Stand" in which most of humanity dies of a strain of flu and the survivors (good and bad) are going to have to have it out.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catcher in the rye, crime and punishment, depressing, elliott smith, suggest