Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 02:20 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
That's a really broken UI, then.
Not at all. It's just a UI you don't like. "Broken" implies that it doesn't work. Which is, of course, not true.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
SOtherwise, on EPUB3 (where you can set more than one semantic), the work flow is currently: look at the tooltip, note what is set right now, open the dialog, click only what you want to change (i.e., set what isn't but should be and unset what is but shouldn't be), then click "OK".

Again, disagree all you want, but if you think that workflow is as easy as it could be, I hope that every piece of other software you use changes its UI to be just as "easy".
That is NOT how set semantic works. You simply choose the new semantic and it sets it clearing any previous values held by that resource. For epub3, you are setting the Landmarks section of the Nav here. For epub2 you are setting the guide items in the opf. For epub3 with an optional guide it will keep common semantics in sync.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-13-2016 at 08:53 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It occurs to me that if one is going to criticize how a particular feature works, it should be necessary that one actually understand the functionality of said feature first. Otherwise, you wind up criticizing the feature for faults it doesn't have (and for lack of functionality that it does, in fact, have).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-13-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Again, disagree all you want, but if you think that workflow is as easy as it could be, I hope that every piece of other software you use changes its UI to be just as "easy".
Ixnay on that. No call for it. If it weren't for Kev and Diap (and possibly other unknown soldiers), this program would be languishing. They've done yeomen's work, for nothing other than the meager thanks of its users. You have no reason to get snarky about it. Disagree, fine. That tone? Not fine.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #35
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Hear,hear. I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ixnay on that. No call for it. If it weren't for Kev and Diap (and possibly other unknown soldiers), this program would be languishing. They've done yeomen's work, for nothing other than the meager thanks of its users. You have no reason to get snarky about it. Disagree, fine. That tone? Not fine.

Hitch
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #36
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Reading this thread, and playing about with Sigil, I just noticed that the semantic for the contents file reads Table of Content where it ought to be Contents. Is that perfectly harmless? (Sigil 0.9.6, Win 7, 32 bit)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #37
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Reading this thread, and playing about with Sigil, I just noticed that the semantic for the contents file reads Table of Content where it ought to be Contents. Is that perfectly harmless? (Sigil 0.9.6, Win 7, 32 bit)
It's perfectly harmless. Sigil displays the title attribute values of guide items in the .opf file. For example:

Code:
  <guide>
    <reference type="toc" title="Table of Content" href="Text/TOC.xhtml"/>
  </guide>
However, in terms of semantics, the title attribute is irrelevant. What matters is the type attribute value. (AFAIK, the title attribute is only used by some reading apps for visually impaired users.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #38
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just spent half an hour trying to REMOVE a semantic, which the lack of a checkmark made unintuitive, to say the least. It was only in a casual statement above, about making it difficult to determine if one had actually SET a semantic, that I wondered if setting it again might possibly get rid of it. So I took a leap of faith and clicked on the semantic I was trying to remove.

Then I hovered over the file name in the Book Browser, and at last! There was no semantic listed after its name.

In the 0.8.X versions, there was a visible checkmark. It would be nice to see that again.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #39
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was a discussion we already had in this thread and it is not going to happen. Simply look at the Report feature, or just look at the content.opf or just mouse over the file name in the bookbrowser to see what if anything is set.

As for disabling it, you can:
1. toggle it off again by setting a different one or re-setting the same one (just as before)
2. Simply edit the content.opf to remove the offending guide item
3. Edit the nav landmarks section to remove the offending landmark in epub3

The checkmarks only worked because there was such a short list of supported semantics in epub2. With a short list, an actual menu item was generated for each one. That approach no longer works with the longer list now available in epub3, nor was there any place for descriptive information to explain what that entry means.

That said, I can change the menu item from "Add Semantic" to "Add/Remove Semantic".

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 02-01-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #40
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I just spent half an hour trying to REMOVE a semantic, which the lack of a checkmark made unintuitive, to say the least.
BTW, it only takes seconds to double-click content.opf and scroll down to the guide section, which contains all semantic entries. (In epub3 books you'll need to check the nav.xhtml landmarks section.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That said, I can change the menu item from "Add Semantic" to "Add/Remove Semantic".
How about "Toggle Semantic"?

Would it be possible to display all items with guide/landmarks entries in a different color (e.g. Navy, Teal or Magenta) in the QTreeView control of the Book Browser?

Last edited by Doitsu; 02-01-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #41
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Would it be possible to display all items with guide/landmarks entries in a different color (e.g. Navy, Teal or Magenta) in the QTreeView control of the Book Browser?
Color or bold would work. Something to let you know "Hey, something with this file is different".

And/Or a nice little checkmark.

Side Note: Just today I worked on an EPUB that had Title Page + Copyright + Preface + Foreword metadata marked on files, and it was a nightmare/annoyance figuring out what was what. A simple two second "right click and glance" turned into a "hover over each file with my mouse + quadruple check the content.opf".

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-07-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Or just run the Report
Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #43
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
I'm not sure what the hoo-hoo is about this semantic thing. There are several very easy ways to check it, change it, or remove it. My preferred method is to go into the OPF file and make the changes manually. Others probably have developed their own preference. But to try to burden the maintainers with the responsibility of making you be able to do it your preferred way seems a little self centered.

Just my two cents worth.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
I'm not sure what the hoo-hoo is about this semantic thing. There are several very easy ways to check it, change it, or remove it. My preferred method is to go into the OPF file and make the changes manually. Others probably have developed their own preference. But to try to burden the maintainers with the responsibility of making you be able to do it your preferred way seems a little self centered.

Just my two cents worth.
The beef is mainly because it simply doesn't work the way many people were ACCUSTOMED to it working previously. It'll pass eventually. I don't take it personally. Hell, before I got involved with maintaining Sigil, I camped on version 0.4.2(3) while Sigil went through a bit of upheaval 'til late in the 0.6.x series.

So while I understand that many people don't like their favorite tools to change, I also keep in mind (and remind others) that there's no reason to upgrade to newer versions you don't like. Stick with what works for you. But if a feature in a newer version looks enticing to you ... then you better be ready to compromise to get it. Way of the world.

And (as always) when push comes to shove ... "patches are welcome, and forks are allowed."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-15-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #45
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The beef is mainly because it simply doesn't work the way many people were ACCUSTOMED to it working previously.
I had that same problem when I changed my mode of transportation. I discovered that smacking my new mechanical nag on the side with a buggy whip just didn't have the same effect as with the old one. Eventually I coped.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote