Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #1
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
Boy, Do I Hate My Kobo

I bought a Kobo Aura One when they first came out. I admit, it's great to read on. But they really just keep finding new ways to make the firmware worse with every new "update". I installed the newest one, which I haven't done in a long time, only to find they put the chapter as the header and the book as the footer. That's terrible, so I tried rolling back to an earlier firmware, but now Calibre is saying that is doesn't recognize that firmware, and Windows 7 (which is also complete s**t) only has a 25% chance of recognizing the reader, a 25% chance of telling my I have to scan for errors and a 50% chance of telling me I have to format it to use it.

I said screw it, and did a complete restore to put it back to factory new. The very first thing I had to do after setting the time is connect it either over WiFi, or to install their software that I don't want. I connected over WiFi, which I had no option to avoid, and the very first thing this garbage thing does is download and install the latest firmware against my wishes.

I would never get another Kobo device.

Oh, good... it's back. I think I'll smash it with a hammer.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	174686  

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 11-03-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can turn the header and or footer off. Also you can tick the "use newer firmware option" in Calibre. It works on older calibre & plugins with latest firmware, though the latest Calibre & plugins now recognise the newer FW, which is fine on my N905c touch, Original H2O and Libra.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you don't get is the page number has always been part of the footer. So it makes perfect sense to have the chapter be at the top since you cannot have the chapter along with the full book page numbers as the footer.

You will get used to it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
in my opinion new 4.18.firmware is great, i don't have any issues once i set it up correctly.
The trouble is that they did some changes that can be easily managed with settings adjustments. so that is not worse, that is better as now you have meny options that you can use if you prefer. all of them can easily be reverted with settings and you dont even need a patch.
I like that they did changes that can enhance your(or others) reading experience and not in the way that e-reader should lean towards tablet experiance.

I would look around the new firmware, and try new options/settings (i'm surprised that you didn't already). and then judge if its good or bad.

I love progres bar, as it doesn't reduce reading space, and just looking at it i can tell how much is till the end (roughly, as i don't care about page count that is usually wrong, nor the chapter name, or book name, as i usually do know what i'm reading; previously i used percentage ).

So as you can see you can set it up on your own likenings with not much trouble. Just disable options that you don't like, and that's it.

Or you can after setting up your device, just unpack firmware you want and roll back.
BTW, i'm using win 7 with no intention to upgrade.

Last edited by forster01; 11-03-2019 at 07:30 AM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #5
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you don't get is the page number has always been part of the footer. So it makes perfect sense to have the chapter be at the top since you cannot have the chapter along with the full book page numbers as the footer.
What you don't get is that I would have the page nubers displayed at the bottom withe the chapter so I would know how much of the chapter was left.
Advert
Old 11-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
I would look around the new firmware, and try new options/settings (i'm surprised that you didn't already). and then judge if its good or bad.
I'm sorry... what forced you to jump to the conclusion that I didn't look around in the update. My complaint began with a very specific change. How would I know that I couldn't put it back the way it was if I didn't look?
Old 11-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
I'm sorry... what forced you to jump to the conclusion that I didn't look around in the update
Cause you try to roll back... as you said, otherwise you would made it with changing settings.

Last edited by forster01; 11-03-2019 at 07:36 AM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
Cause you try to roll back... as you said, otherwise you would made it with changing settings.
Now you're just embarrassing yourself.

Does the new firmware allow you to have the chapter information on the bottom? No.

How do I know that? Because I looked.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:18 AM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
What you don't get is that I would have the page nubers displayed at the bottom withe the chapter so I would know how much of the chapter was left.
What you don't get is Jon doesn't agree with how you prefer the information displayed, which means you need to adjust.

If you stick with 4.18, and have both the header and footer enabled, there is a patch which switches the information. However it requires they both be enabled and I have to imagine it wont be updated for future firmware versions.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Honestly, what is the big deal about the chapter being in the header and not the footer? Before the chapter was put in the header, I never had headers on. I didn't like headers.Now that the header is useful, I've given it a go and I've been keeping it on. So really, you will get used to it. I did.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Honestly, what is the big deal about the chapter being in the header and not the footer? Before the chapter was put in the header, I never had headers on. I didn't like headers.
My most deepest apologies... I hadn't realized that you were the bar against which all things are measured.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #12
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
What you don't get is Jon doesn't agree with how you prefer the information displayed
No, that's not what he said.

"What you don't get is the page number has always been part of the footer."

I explained that I did have the page number at the bottom, which he was trying to explain to me was the correct way of doing things, but it was for the chapter and not the book.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I bought a Kobo Aura One when they first came out. I admit, it's great to read on. But they really just keep finding new ways to make the firmware worse with every new "update". I installed the newest one, which I haven't done in a long time, only to find they put the chapter as the header and the book as the footer. That's terrible, so I tried rolling back to an earlier firmware, but now Calibre is saying that is doesn't recognize that firmware, and Windows 7 (which is also complete s**t) only has a 25% chance of recognizing the reader, a 25% chance of telling my I have to scan for errors and a 50% chance of telling me I have to format it to use it.

I said screw it, and did a complete restore to put it back to factory new. The very first thing I had to do after setting the time is connect it either over WiFi, or to install their software that I don't want. I connected over WiFi, which I had no option to avoid, and the very first thing this garbage thing does is download and install the latest firmware against my wishes.

I would never get another Kobo device.

Oh, good... it's back. I think I'll smash it with a hammer.

I am with you. Partly.

I hated my Aura One in the beginning, when almost nothing worked. No reading stats, no sleep-wake function, no battery life. I was so sad and angry and it didn't get better with firmware updates, which was a major bummer. But then one day, there was a new firmware I liked, the battery was behaving normal and reading started to be joyful again.

The last firmware was not as nice as the one before, at least in my opinion, but for the first time I patched it and it was great!

If only I'd been able to like the Forma better than I did. Ah, yes, I sold my Aura One and bought a Forma. I sold it because the micro usb jack was starting to be worn out and it was a game of miss and hit to connect to my PC for sideloading. Someone made me an offer I couldn't resist (158€ for a device I'd paid 230€ for exactly three years ago).

It turns out I don't like the ergonomics of the Forma, because I read lying on my side, not sitting and holding it one handed like those who sing its praises. Now the Aura One is out of production (just another reason to hate Kobo ), so guess what? I jumped ship, bought a PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro and am happy again. The software is different but offers a lot. The Inkpad is set up the way I love my reader to be, the sleep cover opens the book where I stopped reading and not like the Kobo Aura One two pages earlier...

But I gotta say, the last firmware update was really nice once I got it all sorted and patched. Stats were working just fine and the sleep-wake-thing actually worked.

So please, get off that tree you climbed screeching and venting , take another look at it and make it work for your needs. You can do this

Last edited by Poppaea; 11-03-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Getting rid of a blaring spelling mistake. Guess there are more, but I can't be bothered right now. :-)
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
My most deepest apologies... I hadn't realized that you were the bar against which all things are measured.
You're so rude!
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Give the new firmware a chance. I did and I've gotten used to the new header. How long have you given the new firmware? My guess is not all that long. Try it for a few weeks and see how it goes.

But if you then don't like the new firmware, you can go back. But to go back, you may have to factory reset. You would lose your reading history. So think long and hard if going back is the solution.