Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
beckyt
beckyt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPad
Run Calibre with Library on an external,How?

my Calibre lib is taking up too much room on my (older) XP pro comp. How do I successfully move my Calibre Library to an external drive and still have the Calibre program which is on the comp continue to work from that library?
beckyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyt View Post
my Calibre lib is taking up too much room on my (older) XP pro comp. How do I successfully move my Calibre Library to an external drive and still have the Calibre program which is on the comp continue to work from that library?
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another

Same procedure for a drive.

When using external drive. Make sure you power and data connections are secure to prevent interruption while in use.

Also Reserve a drive letter for that drive, so it always gets the same letter, even with a port change.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
I do this.

I have the Calibre library on a portable drive and I just point calibre to the library folder on the drive. The only thing you have to make sure of is to ensure that the drive letter is the same every time otherwise the library links wont work. I've been doing this for over a year and have had no issues at all.

I did go one step further and am using the portable version of Calibre on the same drive so I don't actually have it on my laptop at all. I do however keep a copy of my library backed up on to my Desktop as a "Just in Case" as I have invested a lot of time in getting it the way I like it.

Hope this answeres your query
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
beckyt

Also Reserve a drive letter for that drive, so it always gets the same letter, even with a port change.[/QUOTE]

How do i "reserve a drive letter"?
Old 06-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
beckyt

Thanks Jimbob
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyt View Post
Also Reserve a drive letter for that drive, so it always gets the same letter, even with a port change.
How do i "reserve a drive letter"?[/QUOTE]

Use the Disk Management tool
Attach the drive (assumes formatted for windows)
Right click on My Computer (desktop or Start menu)
Manage
When the Manage opens: Select Disk Management
Right click on the drive letter currently assigned in the Volume List:Change Drive Letter and Paths: click Change: Pick a letter (near the middle to last. I use L: )

DO NOT EVER change the Letter on the OS (and Programs) Drive (Usually C: )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote