Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
FREE/BARGAIN - Romance + Discussion - 2014

As requested, here is an outline of the purpose of this thread:

We point out free and bargain romances to each other, and recommend certain books that are/were free (or the opposite!).

Because Kindle freebies are easiest to find, the majority of the books listed are from Amazon, but freebies and bargains from other retailers and in other formats are more than welcome!

In case no retailer is specifically mentioned in a post, it is safe to assume it's for Amazon US.

Be aware that many freebies are only free for a day (or sometimes not even that long), so grab them fast!

In addition to the freebies, sales, and coupons we do a weekly purchased/read roundup (voluntary only, but it’s fun to use Calibre’s virtual library feature to take a screengrab in cover view ) We also discuss reading apps and devices, books, and life in general a bit in this thread. Sometimes we go off on seemingly unrelated tangents, but we always find our way back…

Be sure to check the last page of August's thread for any deals you may have missed.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Wow, nice day to be from CA or AU!
Re the iTunes glitch it is indeed

People here have often raved about the Psy-Changeling series it's not my usual sub genre but I decided to give it a go so I grabbed all 10 freebies listed by Nalini Singh once I've actually cleaned them and added to calibre I'll probably find myself missing the first in series lol but then that would serve me right for being greedy
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post

People here have often raved about the Psy-Changeling series it's not my usual sub genre but I decided to give it a go so I grabbed all 10 freebies listed by Nalini Singh once I've actually cleaned them and added to calibre I'll probably find myself missing the first in series lol but then that would serve me right for being greedy
Hmmmm, the series is up to 13 books....I wonder which 3 weren't offered.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:26 AM   #4
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post

Whoa!

I'm rather interested in Nalini Singh's books, too. But the Psy-Changeling series seems a bit too long and complicated for me to catch up with, so I've got the Guild Hunter series instead. (Weren't freebies, though.)

I haven't started reading it yet, but I hope it won't disappoint.

Does anyone here have anything to say about the series or the author?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GM, I thought we've already had one September thread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245493
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm hooked on both series. I think both of the worlds she's built in the two series are intriguing. When the two series started, the Psy-Changelings were paranormal romances and the Guild Hunter series was more along the lines of urban fantasy (e.g., the 1st 3 books are about the same couple). But I'd call both series paranormal romance now, although the Guild Hunter series does come back to the first couple again in book 6.

Her heroes tend toward alpha and her prose can sometimes be....a bit over the top. (No one's just sad, they're *devastated*, for example). I'll admit I didn't notice it until I started listening to the audiobooks (the hyperbolic language) - so it depends on how much you notice that kind of thing.

I really like that in both series, there's an overall arch that's carried forward in each series, even as there is also the individual couples' romances going on.

Is there anything in particular you're looking for? I hate to say too much and spoil it for you.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:10 AM   #7
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm hooked on both series. I think both of the worlds she's built in the two series are intriguing. When the two series started, the Psy-Changelings were paranormal romances and the Guild Hunter series was more along the lines of urban fantasy (e.g., the 1st 3 books are about the same couple). But I'd call both series paranormal romance now, although the Guild Hunter series does come back to the first couple again in book 6.

Her heroes tend toward alpha and her prose can sometimes be....a bit over the top. (No one's just sad, they're *devastated*, for example). I'll admit I didn't notice it until I started listening to the audiobooks (the hyperbolic language) - so it depends on how much you notice that kind of thing.

I really like that in both series, there's an overall arch that's carried forward in each series, even as there is also the individual couples' romances going on.

Is there anything in particular you're looking for? I hate to say too much and spoil it for you.

Thanks for the insightful reviews, FizzyWater. I'm glad that it seems to be a likable series. I suppose there's no major cliffhanger at the end of each book?

By the way, both series are not related at all, right?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:13 AM   #8
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyMore View Post

Thanks for the insightful reviews, FizzyWater. I'm glad that it seems to be a likable series. I suppose there's no major cliffhanger at the end of each book?

By the way, both series are not related at all, right?
No major cliffhangers, though there is an overarcing plot in the Psy/Changeling series which is not resolved and carries over from book to book. But each book contains a complete story.

The two series are not related.

I think the same for the Guild Hunters series (in regards to cliffhangers), but I only read the Psy/Changeling series so can't say 100%.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:17 AM   #9
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
No major cliffhangers, though there is an overarcing plot in the Psy/Changeling series which is not resolved and carries over from book to book. But each book contains a complete story.

The two series are not related.

I think the same for the Guild Hunters series (in regards to cliffhangers), but I only read the Psy/Changeling series so can't say 100%.
Awesome! That's what I'd love to see. I don't like cliffhanger.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 AM   #10
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Thanks for the info Fizzy water Freebies ended up containing 5 full Psy/Changeling novels 3 PC novellas and 2 full Guild hunter novels looks like I'll have to collect the others on special
Old 09-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Whoa!

I'm rather interested in Nalini Singh's books, too. But the Psy-Changeling series seems a bit too long and complicated for me to catch up with, so I've got the Guild Hunter series instead. (Weren't freebies, though.)

I couldn't get past the third Psy-Changling book as you said it's complex and kind of all over the board. I am planning on starting the Guild Hunter one after I finish Cat & Bones. I prefer Urban Fantasy series that focuses on one couple or one heroine and her guys than having to read some many different couples because I always get stuck with the ones I don't like or find boring. Overdrive usually has all her titles so before you buy look at your library.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
Britomart
Guru
Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PC
Free from ARe:

Plaid to the Bone, a novella by Mia Marlowe. I seem to recall that this one has been free before, but not yet to me in Europe.

Quote:
A bride comes to Bonniebroch. . .

But Cait Grant is hardly dreaming of wedded bliss. For political reasons, she must marry Adam Cameron, laird of Bonniebroch. And then, as a duty to her clan, she must murder him. . .

If only her new husband weren't so devilishly handsome. If only she didn't have to play the loving wife for one long, languorous month. If only she didn't surrender to his softly sensual touch, she would be able to fulfill her duty. If only she didn't fall in love. . .
Old 09-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Britomart -

If the book is still to large for my taste, I open it by right-clicking on the title list and opening "edit book". I scroll through the various text files, looking especially at early and late chapters to see what kind of stuff - the book's back cover, other book covers, ads - is hiding there. Then I open all the image files too see what I've got there. I leave in illustrations and maps, obviously, but I mostly remove ads for other books that I find at the end, if they are in pictures anyway. I don't mind reading about the author's other books, but a description is enough, no cover image needed.

I do this with every single book/story before I put it on any of my readers. I also get rid of title page, TOC page, copyright page. No extras, I just keep the book!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Whoa!

I read and loved the Guild Hunter series (have yet to take on the Psy-Changeling, I'm not quite as interested in it for the same reason you mention). I really enjoyed the kick-ass heroines (and stunningly beautiful men!), and while each book does wrap up it's own story they do all take part in a larger world story and I definitely got a bit of a left-hanging feeling from that - especially in the later Elena and Raphael ones. I absolutely binge read the whole series (minus novellas) and am eagerly waiting #7 end-of-October!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
A day late, but here's my report (hope everyone is enjoying their long-weekend, if they get one!)

Bought only one: Beauty and the Mustache (Knitting in the City #4) by Penny Reid.

Read:
Beauty and the Mustache... 5 (I cried!)
Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost.... 4 (thank you ladies for talking this author up! Daunted to dive into Cat & Bones, but Vlad appealed so much more to me so I started there)
Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost... 3 being generous (ah well!)
Love Love by Beth Michele... DNF
Closed Thread