Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
Ahuka
Ahuka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Cross-platform with Dropbox

I am trying to use Calibre on two computers with my Library on Dropbox. I added one folder on the first machine, 39 books, great. Then on the second machine I told it to look at the Dropbox library, and it too saw 39 books, so I thought I was in good shape. Then I added a bunch more on machine #1, which now has 472 books, but Machine 2 still only shows 39. Is there a trick I am missing to get Machine 2 to "re-sync" with the library and see everything?

Thanks,
Ahuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Keeping the working library on NAS or cloud is not supported (and is dangerous). Always run Calibre from a local drive.

Calibre reads the DB into RAM at the start of a session. Any changes during the session are written out, BUT the DB only writes to storage when it changes and only reads when it starts.

Never have 2 full calibre session access the same library, no matter where it is.
Itis ok to have a 1-way sync to a NAS. But it is also recommended that be paused while calibre is in use.Files may get locked just at the wrong time.
Pick a 'master' Library, and only make changes there. The other is a clone.
OR
Just set up your Master PC as a content server for remote access (you will need to configure your router for outside access) or use some other app to avoid the configure network hardware thing.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔️

See ==>> I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

In this context cloud storage is synonymous with a network drive or NAS.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
It can be done (i.e. keep your library in Dropbox and access it from two computers), but you must be very-very careful, as Calibre doesn't really support it. The right way to do it is to pause Dropbox, open Calibre, make changes, close Calibre, resume syncing, and when the syncing is done, quit Dropbox. Then the same process in the same order on the other computer. Never run Dropbox while Calibre is open, and don't leave Dropbox syncing on the background.

Also you should run Library Maintenance regularly, as errors still happen, no matter how careful you are.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-17-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cross-platform, dropbox