Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #106
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Those two sentences directly contradict each other. If "most are quite happy," then how could that be "likely not a good solution for most"? Most = most and if they're happy, who's to say there's a problem?
It's not a contradiction at all. I was saying that using Calibre and sideloading ebooks is not a good solution for most readers. Instead, they are quite happy using whichever ebook store is associated with their device.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #107
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle
I don't like a device like an ebook reader because of its constant delays. Its way too slow for me to enjoy reading. I don't really like eink I found out after years of using it. I would have a bad experience with it and buy another one thinking that it would be better for me and it would be, but not enough for me to use it.

Monochrome displays have done what eink has done for many years (my iPod mini was notably visible in the sunlight) but with worse battery life. Since I don't read that much, its not a big deal to charge something when I am charging other stuff too. What I think OP and I expected was cooler devices. We have slightly higher refresh rates with higher resolution, same battery life and same price so its really a boring field.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #108
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I don't like a device like an ebook reader because of its constant delays. Its way too slow for me to enjoy reading. I don't really like eink I found out after years of using it. I would have a bad experience with it and buy another one thinking that it would be better for me and it would be, but not enough for me to use it. <snip>.
I am not sure what your issue is. Even my ancient Astak (vizplex) did page turns about as fast as I could flip a page on my paperback. True, it did not have opposing pages, so there were double the page 'turns'. But they were brisk. (Note: I still don't use animated 'flips'. on any device that supports those)

Was you content image or chart heavy? That would slow things down.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #109
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
I've used various e-ink readers since 2009, and have never noticed "constant delays" when reading.

Other navigation on the device such as adjusting settings etc. is noticeably slower than a smart phone or tablet, but when using a reader for reading, page turns are as fast as necessary.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #110
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am not sure what your issue is. Even my ancient Astak (vizplex) did page turns about as fast as I could flip a page on my paperback. True, it did not have opposing pages, so there were double the page 'turns'. But they were brisk. (Note: I still don't use animated 'flips'. on any device that supports those)

Was you content image or chart heavy? That would slow things down.
I am not comparing it to a paperback, its compared to what I usually use for reading, LCDs with nearly instant changes. It makes it impossible to search or do anything aside from reading, and it detracts from my reading experience. Lets say you found a word you wanted to look up. Before you would dig out a dictionary and flip through pages. Now you can highlight the eink reader, probably fumbling and then selecting it finally, searching on the device itself and finding it after a bit of the screen being slow and flashing. If your expectations went from a book its great. Instead on a fast device with fast screen, you can do all that, and find more information on google or wikipedia with updated information. And forget about browsing on it, I would have loved to have an eink internet device, but its awful for that purpose.

Reading has become more than just reading text unless you are doing pleasure reading. Reading anything technical is frustrating.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #111
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lets say you found a word you wanted to look up. Before you would dig out a dictionary and flip through pages. Now you can highlight the eink reader, probably fumbling and then selecting it finally, searching on the device itself and finding it after a bit of the screen being slow and flashing.
Reading on my Oasis, I see a word I need to look up. I touch and hold the word, and the dictionary definition pops up. There is no fumbling, no flashing. It is fairly seamless and quick. Along with the definition window, there are two more windows to the right, Wiki, and Translation. The latter two need a connection.

But there is nothing fumbling or difficult about the process. It takes less than a full second.

This process can seem odd to a new user, but after a few attempts, it's easy and quick.

It is virtually the same process on my iPad or iPhone using the Kindle app.
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #112
Nausicaa
Connoisseur

That's assuming it goes perfectly. I fumble with the highlighting, accidentally click and go to another page, or have the wrong word. With more complex terms, I will dig out my phone to look it up. I also don't use the wifi on it because I don't want it to automatically update.

I think the intention of having a device that is perfect for reading is great, but the execution was not for me. I prefer scrolling (for pictures and the text that goes with it). Honestly, I am not sure why I don't prefer using it. I think its too slow for me, but works great for pleasure reading.
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #113
Deskisamess
Guru

Quote:
That's assuming it goes perfectly. I fumble with the highlighting, accidentally click and go to another page, or have the wrong word.
None of that is a limitation of the device. You can't blame the device if you're the one who has problems operating it. My husband is not a huge fan of touch screens. But the Kindles don't seem to present the same issues for him BECAUSE they are slower in response time.

When I sometimes read on my iPhone 7+, I like the scrolling option, because of how I hold the phone. But I don't miss that option on larger devices or my Kindles. I don't use it if I'm reading on my iPad mini.
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #114
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, T1
Perhaps the difficulty highlighting or looking up a word in the dictionary is due to large hands & thick fingers? That could make it difficult to select just one word. I personally haven't had an issue with these functions but then I have small hands.

I don't think anyone would argue with the statement that eink readers are not good for internet browsing. I doubt you would find many people who use their eReaders for that purpose. I use my smartphone or PC for internet browsing.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote