Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-25-2021, 04:32 PM   #30346
Karellen
Zealot
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just finished the 4 books in the Blade Runner series.

Wow, they are terrible.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #30347
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Just finished the 4 books in the Blade Runner series.

Wow, they are terrible.

Why were they so bad?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #30348
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished the horror novella, Nana, by Mark Towse.

An excellent writer, but I didn't care that much for the story.

Now back to Horn, by D. Keith Mano.

BUT, I am also one-half way through Franziska, by the great literary writer Ernst Weiss. This is my second read. As one can no doubt surmise, I love his work, along with the writing of Stefan Zweig.

By the way, the film Grand Budapest Hotel [you simply MUST watch this film!] was inspired by Stefan Zweig.

Here's the link for more information on Stefan Zweig:

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...budapest-hotel

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-26-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #30349
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Magical Maze by Ian Stewart. A book that was the basis for his Royal Society Christmas Lectures on mathematics. Probably nothing knew to me, but it's well written so far and a good read.
And very good it was two. One or two things new to me, and one or two things I thought i knew I now know better after a good description. A most enjoyable mathematical journey.

Next up: Precious and Grace by Alexander McCall Smith. The 17th in his No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, which I bought earlier this year for the high (for me!) sum of £2.99.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #30350
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Along with Horn, I'm almost finished with Dangling Man, by the great Saul Bellow.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-28-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:56 AM   #30351
spacepope
Enthusiast
spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.spacepope reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Oh, I love threads like this!

I finished Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson yesterday, 5th book in Mistborn.

I am currently reading Sherlock Holmes - The Devil's Dust by James Lovegrove, I hope I can finish it today to bring my unread purchased books TBR down one more book before December hits.

I am currently listening to Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. I got some Bluetooth headphones as a gift, seems a waste to not use them for Libby audiobooks
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #30352
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O; Lenovo P11
After discovering India in the Persianate Age thanks to a languagehat piece, it ended up as one of my favorite reads of 2021, so when I saw Shakespeare's Englishes: Against Englishness by Margaret Tudeau-Clayton being discussed there, I checked it out and was struck by two things: (1) it sounds very interesting and right up my alley and (2)This is VERY rare, Kobo is offering it to me for 1/3 the price Amazon is asking. A good omen, I'm thinking.
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM   #30353
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Precious and Grace by Alexander McCall Smith. The 17th in his No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, which I bought earlier this year for the high (for me!) sum of £2.99.
But it was worth it. A most enjoyable story and characters.

Then I read the book club "romance" pick, The Red Cockade. Not really a romance in the modern sense, more a historical fiction set in the very early days of the French revolution. With a tiny bit of a romance sub-plot.

And now I'm reading Wednesday The Rabbi Got Wet by Harry Kemelman, the sixth in his Rabbi Small series. A re-read really, and it's as good or better than I remembered.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #30354
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
And now I'm reading Wednesday The Rabbi Got Wet by Harry Kemelman, the sixth in his Rabbi Small series. A re-read really, and it's as good or better than I remembered.
Delightful. I do like Rabbi Small.

Next up: Bought today, Front Runner by Felix Francis. The fifth of his own novels, set in the world of horse racing.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #30355
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
My wife and I had always planned to do a re-read of Ada Palmer's Terra Ignota series when the final volume was released. We're a little late getting started as Perhaps the Stars was released a few weeks ago, but I've settled in with the first volume, Too Like the Lightning, for my current read.

I'm not likely going to make my goals this year, so I am in no rush and am savoring all the language and philosophy layering this science fiction story. Media around the release of the final book have dubbed it "Hopepunk." I have no idea if I agree as the third volume did not end hopefully at all. Can't wait to see how it all plays out during the holiday reading season.
Now that I am positive I likely won't reach my goals, I have been very slowly savoring these books. There is so much philosophy and I will stop every now and then to go have a look at a referenced person or book.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:44 PM   #30356
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Bought today, Front Runner by Felix Francis. The fifth of his own novels, set in the world of horse racing.
Which was most enjoyable in the expected way.

Then I read Thursday The Rabbi Walked Out by Harry Kemelman. Delightful, as expected.

Next up: Dirge by Alan Dean Foster. The second in his "Founding of the Commonwealth" series. I read the first back in 2013 and liked it. It's about time I got onto the second one!