Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #30286
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I love this book. This was my first Heinlein book, so perhaps that's why.
Same here!
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #30287
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next, a recent purchase (on sale, of course), Star Wars: Into the Dark by Claudia Gray.
This one was only OK. The main characters introspection was very interesting and rather complex for a MG book. However, the plot details were not intelligently done. Inconsistencies, alternating dumb and smart (in)actions and poor battle scenes. My favorite character was the one who didn't speak. Rated D+ [2 stars]

Next tbd
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:33 AM   #30288
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now another recent purchase, Redcoat by Bernard Cornwell. A stand-alone set in 1777 Philadelphia.
It was OK. A bit disappointing to read in the afterword how many timings of events had been slightly tweaked (often by just a few days, or by relative order), for no particularly good reason.

Spoiler:
Shades of RLS's Kidnapped towards the end!

Next up: A random pick from my TBR pile. Hot Stuff by Janet Evanovich and Leanne Banks. A freebie from Fictionwise way back in February 2010.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-07-2021 at 07:01 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #30289
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Finally getting around to reading The Butcher Bird by S.D. Sykes, second in a Historical Mystery series around the time of the plague. Excellent writing in this. I'll probably go straight onto the third book after.

The first book of the series was Plague Land and was very good too.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #30290
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: A random pick from my TBR pile. Hot Stuff by Janet Evanovich and Leanne Banks. A freebie from Fictionwise way back in February 2010.
Which was a fun, quick read. An enjoyable mystery/romance.

Next up: Swords Against Darkness edited by Robert E. Howard. Epic fantasy short stories from some very well-known authors. A freebie I picked up earlier this year.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #30291
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Swords Against Darkness edited by Robert E. Howard. Epic fantasy short stories from some very well-known authors. A freebie I picked up earlier this year.
It was good. 4/5. I do prefer novels to short stories, but there are some excellent sword & sorcery stories in here, and the comments by Robert Howard are interesting too.

Next up: Angels and Visitations by Neil Gaiman. A collection of shorter works from a humble bundle back in 2015.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:05 PM   #30292
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The Collected Stories of Louis Auchincloss - that were selected by the author himself for this compilation. Often compared with Henry James and Edith Wharton, his short fiction is spare, precise, cutting, and often unexpectedly funny with a dry wit. This collection includes his first published short story 'Maud' as well as a ghost story, a Civil War story, and many of his characteristic legal tales.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 10-12-2021 at 08:24 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #30293
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Just started Endurance: My Year In Space by Scott Kelly
A year on the International Space Station interspersed with reflections on his life.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:51 AM   #30294
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Angels and Visitations by Neil Gaiman. A collection of shorter works from a humble bundle back in 2015.
Which was excellent.

Next up by random choice: The Wrecker by Robert Louis Stevenson and Lloyd Osbourne.

Not very good so far. I'm afraid the combination seems more Lloyd Osbourne than Robert Louis Stevenson. I'm 11% into it and I think we're into the third or fourth regression into tale-telling, and I expect I'll abandon it shortly unless it miraculously improves.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:13 AM   #30295
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. This took me a long time to finish - partly because the story is intricate, and partly because work kept me busy. It's a book made up of many short parts, many seeming to be myths and fairytales, but all linked in ways that don't become clear until you approach the end. It is cleverly done, and each piece beautifully written. I liked Morgenstern's first book, The Night Circus better, but I did end up enjoying this one very much, and I look forward to reading it again when I have more time to really get lost in it. 4/5.

With work still being intense I've spent some of my time since then picking my way through Black Summer, edited by Michael Rowland and compiled for the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). It is a collection of articles written by ABC journalists about the bushfires of summer 2019/2020. It's interesting enough, although it may be describing events that are still too recent and familiar to me, for me to really appreciate the text. And while emergency broadcasts from the ABC undoubtedly played an important part in the events, I must say that some of the articles feel a little too self-serving; some things said that would have been much better left implied. I haven't finished yet ... will probably intersperse some other reading around this.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #30296
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Starless Sea is on my tbr!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:43 AM   #30297
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I just learned of this book from a post at languagehat, and after deciding that I had to buy it, I was delighted to find that my patience in sitting on my Kobo Super Points was rewarded - the book was free (or, at no extra cost, for the tetrapyloctomous killjoys
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #30298
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up by random choice: The Wrecker by Robert Louis Stevenson and Lloyd Osbourne.

Not very good so far. I'm afraid the combination seems more Lloyd Osbourne than Robert Louis Stevenson. I'm 11% into it and I think we're into the third or fourth regression into tale-telling, and I expect I'll abandon it shortly unless it miraculously improves.
I'm still going. At around 75%, we get yet another regression! But there were enough good bits to keep my attention, and there's a mystery about to be explained. So I will be finishing this one. But not one of his best.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #30299
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I'm still going. At around 75%, we get yet another regression! But there were enough good bits to keep my attention, and there's a mystery about to be explained. So I will be finishing this one. But not one of his best.
I tried to read this a couple of times, but couldn't make it past mid-point.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #30300
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:

I didn't abandon it, and I should have abandoned it. Very poor.

Next I read the latest Penric & Desdemona story from Lois McMaster Bujold - Knot of Shadows. As expected, as delight from start to finish, despite the tragic events.

And now I'm starting on Andy Weir's latest, Project Hail Mary.