Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-19-2023, 01:01 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
PageEdit-2.0.0 Released

PageEdit-2.0.0

PageEdit-2.0.0 is a mix of bug fixes and new features. The Key points are the upgrade to Qt6.5.2. We will no longer be providing an official Windows 32-bit binary installer. The update to Qt6.5.2 makes Windows 10 (1809) the minimum supported OS for the official version of PageEdit starting with PageEdit 2.0.0. Similarly, it makes the minimum supported MacOS version 11.0 (Big Sur).

New Features
  • updated official releases to use Qt 6.5.2
  • added ability to create and apply Clips
  • updated to jquery 3.6.4 for security fixes
  • added ability to control print output quality (dpi)
  • added ability to show embedded pdfs in an epub (ala ADE)

Bug Fixes:
  • updated to the latest sigil-gumbo for bug fixes and to add new tags
  • fixed all/most compiler warnings depending on platfrom/compiler
  • added WebProfileMgr to fix crashes and better manage QWebEngineProfile and local storage

--------------------------------- Notes -----------------------------------

The latest PageEdit user guide can always be downloaded from the PageEdit website, or from its own GitHub repository.

The MacOS builds are signed but they are NOT notarized. See this PageEdit/Sigil issue for more information.

All PageEdit binary downloads (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the PageEdit Github Release page.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:01 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Post reserved for future use
Advert
Old 09-19-2023, 08:08 AM   #3
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Enchantements: In the title name of the window, add a indicating that the file has been edited.
Like an asterisk like in Sigil.

An alternative: grey out the save icon when no changes have been made, and use the colored version when changes are waiting to be saved.

Also, a three choice dialog ("Save", "Not save", "Don't exit") at the exit of a file will be handy, rather the actual two ("Save", "Not save"), thanks.

(the lack of these two features is quite frustrating some times)
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:24 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Can't. As the watcher javascript to detect dom changes does not always work. Therefore File changed status is literally determined at close/leave points by comparing pre and post xhtml dumps from the QWebEngineView. It is the only way to accurately detect if changes have been made internally.

And remember PageEdit, as its name suggests, is a single xhtml page editor, not an epub editor. It work on a single file as a time and either saves the changes or does not when you leave that page in any manner.

But adding a "continue editing/don't leave" option is doable for a future release but you will not then be able to navigate away.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-19-2023 at 10:00 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 01:48 PM   #5
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Okay, perfectly understandable.

Here, right now, I'd suggest putting a routine that loops around every second to actively check the modification (with the same 'function' before the exit)... but that's an absurdly exaggerated solution for a triviality

Have a nice day.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2023, 02:09 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Just pushed a fix that allows the user to cancel exiting a page if the file was modified.
This fix will appear in the next release of PageEdit.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 04:32 AM   #7
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Windows 10, 64 bit, PageEdit v. 2.0.0., Kobo Clara 2E.
In order to study a language (in this case Portuguese), I use the annotation function of my reader, fetch the annotations with the Calibre (v. 6.28) plugin Annotations (v. 1.17.13) that collects them to the metatadata field of the book I'm reading. From there, I copy them via PageEdit to my vocabulary book in Sigil (v. 2.0.1). That worked very well until today, as the annotations were inserted with the whole formatting, something like that:
Code:
<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="#d3d3d3" style="white-space: normal;">
                                                                              <tbody>
                                                                                 <tr>
                                                                                    <td bgcolor="transparent">
                                                                                       <p style="margin: 0px;"><strong style="background-color: transparent;">XIV</strong></p>
                                                                                    </td>

<td bgcolor="transparent">
                                                                                       <p align="right" style="margin: 0px;"><strong style="background-color: transparent;">08.10.2023 21:55:55</strong></p>
                                                                                    </td>
                                                                                 </tr>
                                                                              </tbody>
                                                                           </table>

<span style="white-space: normal;"> </span>

<p style="white-space: normal;">car*pir</p>

<p style="white-space: normal; font-style: italic;">Beweinen, aushacken</p>
<p style=""><span style="font-style: italic; white-space: normal;">*</span>
Then, I updated PageEdit to v. 2.0.0, and now, at inserting the copied annotations to my Sigil ebook, all formatting is left away, and only the text is being inserted, which looks like that (in Sigil CodeView):
Code:
<i>XIV
09.10.2023 22:29:31

no*me*a*da
Ruf

XIV
09.10.2023 22:31:53

tras*te, o
Möbel, Gerät, Gauner

XIV
09.10.2023 22:34:45

em*pe*nho
Bemühung, Interesse

XIV
09.10.2023 22:35:50

gru*ta
Grotte

XIV
09.10.2023 22:40:54

pe*nu*gem, a
Flaum</i>
However, at the end of the book's section, there are lots of formatting tags, but only concerning the italic and whitespace format, like this:
Code:
p style=""><i> </i><span style="white-space: normal;"><i><br/></i></span></p>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>
and so on (there are really lots of such tags). Should it remain like this, PageEdit were of absolutely no use to me, but I suppose there is a trick in the settings (only that I can't find it). Help, please!

Edit: Now, I checked the "Use prettify to reformat xhtml when saving" button, and it became slightly better, as there are at least paragraphs inserted and formatted in italics. But the former table formatting has vanished.

Last edited by Leonatus; 10-10-2023 at 05:01 AM.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:43 AM   #8
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
From there, I copy them via PageEdit to my vocabulary book in Sigil (v. 2.0.1).
Why?
Get annotations from calibre metadata, but from the 'HTML Source' tab and insert directly into Sigil.

The inserted annotations are cluttered anyway by the fact that by default tables use attributes not recommended in EPUB files (align, border, bgcolor, cellpadding, cellspacing, height, width)
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:44 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not following. How are you copying stuff from a metadata field of an epub via PageEdit--a gui editor? I would expect metadata to be invisible to PageEdit.

Flying a bit blind, here, but I would think the first step would be determining that the stuff being put in the metadata field by the calibre plugin (and the stuff copied to the clipboard via PageEdit) actually contains the formatting you expect before pasting into Sigil.

Without (admittedly) knowing all the facts, I tend to agree with @Becky that PageEdit's involvement seems like an extra unnecessary step.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-10-2023 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:04 AM   #10
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not following. How are you copying stuff from a metadata field of an epub via PageEdit--a gui editor? I would expect metadata to be invisible to PageEdit.

Flying a bit blind, here, but I would think the first step would be determining that the stuff being put in the metadata field by the calibre plugin (and the stuff copied to the clipboard via PageEdit) actually contains the formatting you expect before pasting into Sigil.

Without (admittedly) knowing all the facts, I tend to agree with @Becky that PageEdit's involvement seems like an extra unnecessary step.
Sorry for not being clear enough!
When I copied the annotations directly from the metadata field of Calibre into the Code View of Sigil, the mere unformatted text had been inserted, whereas, using PageEdit, the original formatting had been transported. Why? I don't know. Anyway, with the update, the table formatting had gone off.
Yet, what @Becky recommends does work! It's an idea that didn't have come to me!
Nevertheless, I consider to install the previous version of PageEdit, just to see if it works as it used to.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:18 AM   #11
Leonatus
Wizard

I just tested with v. 1.7 of PageEdit, and everything worked as it should. Strange, isn't it?
Old 10-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

We went from Qt5 to Qt6 between PageEdit v1.7 and 2.0, so anything is possible, I guess
Old 10-10-2023, 08:51 AM   #13
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We went from Qt5 to Qt6 between PageEdit v1.7 and 2.0, so anything is possible, I guess
I suspicioned Something Like that. But good to know that there ist Always a solution!
Old 10-10-2023, 09:06 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I get a prompt when pasting html formatted content into PageEdit 2.0 asking me if I want to paste it as plain text. Answering no gives me the original html formatting that I copied. Do you not get that prompt? And if you do, are you answering no?
Old 10-10-2023, 10:20 AM   #15
Leonatus
Wizard

No, I get no prompt at all. I paste the content by using Ctrl + V, perhaps that's the reason.