Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question How do I know which version is on my Kindle?

Isn't the AZW3 format supposed to look fairly polished, and appear the same as the printed book? I am not if MOBI would have a better format.

I try to convert all my ebooks in Calibre to the azw format, but often when I am reading the book on the Kindle, the format and layout is so bad sometimes that it is distracting.

When I do convert to AZW3, it is always a MOBI that I choose for conversion (because I understand that converting an epub to azw leaves a lot to be desired).
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you have MOBI and EPUB originals for the same book why not try converting both to AZW3 and see for yourself which is better on the Kindle.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 02:02 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
Isn't the AZW3 format supposed to look fairly polished, and appear the same as the printed book? I am not if MOBI would have a better format.

I try to convert all my ebooks in Calibre to the azw format, but often when I am reading the book on the Kindle, the format and layout is so bad sometimes that it is distracting.

When I do convert to AZW3, it is always a MOBI that I choose for conversion (because I understand that converting an epub to azw leaves a lot to be desired).
Personally, I've found that epub to azw3 on the average is the better conversion path as they are a lot closer than mobi is to either.

OTOH, if you are not happy with the results of a mobi to azw3 conversion, try sending the unconverted mobi to your Kindle or even open it with calibre's built-in viewer. Surprisingly often, the format and layout are lousy in the original and so you get GIGO. Alternatively download a sample from Amazon and compare those two versions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If the azw3 looks bad on your Kindle, then the original format was probably as bad. Or you have changed something in the conversion settings.

The best way is to convert the epub directly to azw3 and leave the mobi out altogether. And you should take a look at your epubs in the Calibre viewer. If they look good, but the converted azw3 will look bad, then there's something in your conversion settings that messes up the result.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I would almost always say: EPUB > AZW3
Conversion can't put back things lost making a Mobi (That format did not have all the styling options that EPUB supports).
For most part, Conversion can only change what IS THERE to begin with.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To be fair to the OP, this ==>> Calibre User Manual: What are the best source formats to convert has the following:

Quote:
In order of decreasing preference: LIT, MOBI, AZW, EPUB, AZW3, FB2, FBZ, DOCX, HTML, PRC, ODT, RTF, PDB, TXT, PDF
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
Mobi is more limited when it comes to formatting than ePub or AZW3 (which are pretty close to each other). Converting from Mobi isn't going to add anything unless you're then going to go in and edit the file to alter the formatting. Simple conversion won't add something that wasn't there to begin with.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Mobi is more limited when it comes to formatting than ePub or AZW3...
Which can be a major advantage when converting poorly made commercially distributed ebook. The original (mis)format choices are more limited so there is likely to be few annoyances in the converted file.

I usually convert ePubs to AZW3 for my Kindle. I have found, though, that when dealing with some of the antique ebooks in my (overly largre) TBR list, that it can be easier to get a decent readable result from an old FB2, MOBI, or Mobi PRC then from an ePub from the same source. The conversions often require less massaging than working on the ePub to get something clean for conversion.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, formats