Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #76
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fardeenah View Post
another question, how is the battery saving mode of the paperwhite 4?
I don't know the difference between the modes, haven't tested both for hours at a time, but the battery should be fine either way. The Paperwhite is usually pretty good with its battery.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #77
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I've just had mine for 2 days so I can't really tell much about the battery yet. I've been downloading books and keeping it on the charger while it indexes. But I did read a couple of hours yesterday and it went down about 2% or 3%. I'm not sure now.

I don't usually do any kind of battery testing or comparing on my devices. I just form some kind of impression as I use it. I doubt that's very accurate but it does tell me when something has a problem.

It comes with battery saving enabled and I left it that way. It makes it take about 7 or 8 seconds to start when it's been asleep for a while. I haven't noticed any other differences.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #78
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
To me, the screen looks almost exactly the same as my Voyage, once you match the brightness level (visually, not by matching brightness ‘levels’). Same amount of glare or no glare depending on what the light sources are and where they are.

Auto-brightness is the main advantage the Voyage has in this respect. I wish they would have a screen gesture of some sort to adjust it without needing to get to the setting.

PW4 is slightly lighter than Voyage.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #79
fardeenah
Connoisseur
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
thank you everyone for your insights
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #80
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
I am still waiting for the *ucker to stop indexing before i will be able to test it and know for sure but it seems fantastic so far. Even tho its been indexing for days now the battery drain is still a fraction of my Oasis with normal use. I am thrilled! Now Mmy kobo Aura Edition 2 has the best life of the 3. Been two weeks since I last charged it and the battery meter barely moved
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #81
MobileJanie
Zealot
MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Could someone please tell me, is the audio Bluetooth only, or does it have 3.5mm audio socket? Thanks.
MobileJanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #82
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileJanie View Post
Could someone please tell me, is the audio Bluetooth only, or does it have 3.5mm audio socket? Thanks.
I don't see any audio plugs... so I think it is bluetooth only.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #83
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Bluetooth only
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #84
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
As others have mentioned, Bluetooth. If you're looking for a good quality, small Bluetooth speaker, I have had good luck with this one — originally made for Blackberry phones (and sold for much more than they are now). It worked well the few times I've tried it on my Kindle Basic (Gen 8) — I mostly use it on my Blackberry Q10. (There's several other sellers on eBay, and I can't personally vouch for any of them, but they seem to have good seller ratings.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackBerry-...YAAOSwEFFbgHzL

Actually, you can buy them via Amazon Prime (free shipping) for $8.

https://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-AC...etooth+speaker

Last edited by rcentros; 11-11-2018 at 07:53 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:06 PM   #85
bbtan123
bbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: none
Had the kindle pw4 for a few days now and I really enjoy it but it seems like the battery life is going down quite quickly but it might also be because I'm using it really extensively. I have it on airplane mode but my brightness setting is usually set to the max. I've been reading every night over a few hours and have finished two books in that span of time. Right now, my battery life is on the low end.
bbtan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #86
bbtan123
bbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I also realised that I don't have the function to disable touchscreen and the battery saver function also doesn't come up in my settings. Is this due to the fact that I got it from another country and not directly from the states?
Old 11-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #87
MobileJanie
Zealot
MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for the replies. That's put a temporary hold on me rushing out to buy the new pw. Anyway, there's only one of me, why would I need a fifth Kindle?
MobileJanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #88
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtan123 View Post
I also realised that I don't have the function to disable touchscreen and the battery saver function also doesn't come up in my settings. Is this due to the fact that I got it from another country and not directly from the states?
If you do not have 5.10.1.2, you will not have those features.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #89
bbtan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My device is currently on 5.10.0.1 and I don't think I can update it to 5.10.1.2 as the "Update your kindle" in my settings isn't showing up as something that I can tap on. Any idea when the release for the updates will be worldwide?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:46 AM   #90
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Had the kindle pw4 for a few days now and I really enjoy it but it seems like the battery life is going down quite quickly but it might also be because I'm using it really extensively. ...
Did you load quite a few books on it? If so, it might still be indexing.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don't know if it's the same worldwide, but in the U.S., if you change last part of the 5.10.1.1 download link, i.e., 5.10.1.1.bin to 5.10.1.2.bin, you should be able to download that firmware.

In the U.S., 5.10.1.2 firmware is available at...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...2_5.10.1.2.bin

...for example.

It seems like it should also be available (soon) via OTA.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote