Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #286
ronker
ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ronker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 5, PW2, PW4
I replaced my PW2 with a PW4 and think the contrast of the PW4 is worse (with medium light). Or only seem that way? On the other hand it is much charper und the light is much more uniform. Also the gap between the EInk and front layer seems to be smaller.

I wonder why amazon made a step back from black text to little bit grey. I've read that all newer Kindles have a little bit less contrast. And I wonder if I can get a kindle with the "old" contrast but higher resolution and uniforum light.

Last edited by ronker; 01-14-2019 at 09:13 AM.
ronker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #287
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I got my PW 4 yesterday. I've compared it with my PW 3s and I like the PW 4 and will use it with my PW 3. In use, I see no significant difference.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #288
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have 2 Paperwhite 3's and 2 Paperwhite 4's. All 4 screens are different. It's not about model. It's just that e-ink screens and front lights vary even within the same model.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #289
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You are not seeing it, because you cannot disable it. Why waste space in settings that cannot be changed?
Not sure I understand the rationale of allowing it to be disabled on one device, but not the other?

And I did just notice that it is "enabled" and active on my Oasis 2. Got the "Waking Up" message after it being in sleep mode for over 12 hours.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #290
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Because the Oasis 2 has a much tinier battery, they probably thought that allowing users to disable it would cause too many "my battery life sucks" reports.

Also, the HW is significantly different, so there's a remote possibility that's it's implemented in a more efficient fashion on the Oasis 2.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #291
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Thanks for the link.

I'm assuming your PW4 is jailbroken if you have custom screen savers? I'd love to use book covers as my screen saver, but after reading through all the jail break instructions I'm not convinced it's worth the effort.
Yes. The only reason I got it is because I saw it could be jail broken. I put images on it, I don't use book covers. I have a rotating gallery of 6 or 8. I should add more. It's so much nicer than what Amazon provides.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #292
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
(Power Saver / deep sleep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Someone mentioned that the Oasis 2 also has it.
It was originally introduced on the Oasis 1, which has always had it as a mandatory feature, no doubt for the same reason as the Oasis 2 (when you have a tiny internal battery, every joule counts, and the Oasis 1 has a *really* tiny internal battery). You wouldn't want to turn it off unless the Oasis was in its charging case anyway: when not in deep sleep mode and not in its charging case, the Oasis loses about 1--2% an hour even when apparently turned off.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #293
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I wasn’t going to upgrade but I traded in a couple of devices and they took an additional 25% off so I got the PW 4 for $64.00.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:40 PM   #294
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtan123 View Post
I understand that X-ray has been a major selling point for the kindle but because most of my books are side-loaded, I haven't really gotten the chance to use it. What are everyone's thoughts on the X-ray? Is it a good add on or a necessity in their day to day use of the kindle? I read some threads on adding an x-ray plugin to calibre but found it a tad bit confusing...
I hardly use xray but it is handy when I lose track of characters
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:27 AM   #295
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes. The only reason I got it is because I saw it could be jail broken. I put images on it, I don't use book covers. I have a rotating gallery of 6 or 8. I should add more. It's so much nicer than what Amazon provides.
Lol, similar boat. I actually stocked up and bought a couple of extras after the 5.10.0.2 factory firmware was discovered. The Kindle is so much nicer after jailbreak.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #296
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lol, similar boat. I actually stocked up and bought a couple of extras after the 5.10.0.2 factory firmware was discovered. The Kindle is so much nicer after jailbreak.
I feel so stupid for upgrading firmware; I just thought there was no way that I could jailbreak the PW4 after my experience with the PW2.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #297
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
I feel so stupid for upgrading firmware; I just thought there was no way that I could jailbreak the PW4 after my experience with the PW2.
The thing with the PW2 is it was already long discontinued so I doubt anyone's actively working on finding a jailbreak solution for it. Meanwhile, we still got 5.8.9.0.1 and 5.9.6.1 for the PW3.

Also, current closed Kindle/software-only jailbreak method relies on availability of factory firmware. Factory firmware (as the name implies) are more likely to be discovered on brand new, out of the box Kindles. No new Kindles being sold means lower likelihood of finding new factory firmware.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-23-2019 at 07:29 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote