Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
ratcnthor
ratcnthor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Send books to Kindle into specific collection

Is there any way at all to send books to a Kindle immediately into a specific collection? i.e., from the send to device pull-down menu have a list of collections that are on the device or ones that you've created that you can send books to? I'm new to using Calibre but this seems like an obvious feature that everyone with a Kindle would want. I have a Kindle paperwhite 3. Thanks.
ratcnthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use the Kindle Collections PI to make... Collections

Note that this is a POST send operation.
I use the SAME select rule as I did in Collections

In other words:
I send a Series
Then I make (run KC) a collection Based upon Calibre Series found on the Kindle

the same should work for defined Tags...
You just need to make the KC rule match your select rule
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
ratcnthor
ratcnthor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
I send a Series
Then I make (run KC) a collection Based upon Calibre Series found on the Kindle

the same should work for defined Tags...
You just need to make the KC rule match your select rule
That seems convoluted and, frankly, ridiculous. There's no way to just send to a specific collection on the device?

Anyways, so I guess I can create a specific tag for the bunch of books that I want to send. Then make a collection based on that tag and Kindle Collections will put those books in the collection automatically? or...? How do I even create a tag? KC complains, some b.s. about needing a see a column.
ratcnthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is "convoluted and ridiculous" because you need some way of telling the plugin which collections specific books should go into.

You don't "send a book to a collection", you "send an ebook file to an ereader device mounted as an external USB Mass Storage device".

Manipulating the ondevice content tracking database in order to tag a book as belonging to a certain collection, is an entirely different action altogether.
This can be done automatically on the Kobo (the functionality is built into the Kobo device driver), and it can automatically create collections based on e.g. tags.
The Kindle requires a plugin, and on touchscreen devices, the Kindle jailbreak and a hack running locally on the Kindle (since Amazon keeps the Content Catalog where collections are registered, in the rootfs where calibre can't see it).

It is pretty easy, really, all you need to do is tell KC which metadata column to use for collections, and then add the collections you want to create as tags in that column (you can reuse the bultin tags column if you want).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

It is pretty easy, really, all you need to do is tell KC which metadata column to use for collections, and then add the collections you want to create as tags in that column (you can reuse the bultin tags column if you want).

The PI configuration is pretty straight forward...

But you do need to take a moment to think 'how I want to define a collection'

In many instances, this is not any different than what you do manually in Kindle PC,
Assign to collection' <clickity-clickity>. With the KCPI, it is automated IF you can make a rule
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert