Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #121
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
A word of warning: FT overrides are currently broken on a number of devices (the K4, at the very least) in the last few batches of snapshots.
The issue might be more widespread than this, especially on legacy devices, but the FT override issue is especially critical, since it causes the framework to crash on startup, which is bad .

I don't have time to debug this further right now, but I have a vague idea of what might be the problem...

In the meantime, I'd recommend sticking with the latest releases (which are relatively recent, and are confirmed to work), especially if you're NOT using a recent device (meaning anything >= PW2 should be okay).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #122
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good news! The FT override issue mentioned in the previous post should now be fixed!

Yay!

(The bad news is I have no idea why the hell the legacy framework craps out with a freetype lib built w/ GCC 5, so I had to roll-back to GCC 4.9 for the FT stack on legacy devices...).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-03-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Advert
Old 10-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #123
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
- - -
(The bad news is I have no idea why the hell the legacy framework craps out with a freetype lib built w/ GCC 5, so I had to roll-back to GCC 4.9 for the FT stack on legacy devices...).
The BR auto-builder has been stumbling over a lot of packages when using GCC-5 ...
The work-around so far has been:
Quote:
Add -std=gnu89 to CFLAGS to keep pre gcc5 inline function symbols visibility rules.
It is one of the reasons I didn't use __attribute__(inline) on the new translation code.
But mostly because I don't know how many gcc-isms your clang compiler will take.

None of the auto-builders have a GCC-6 toolchain installed (yet).
That may be another can of worms, later.

Last edited by knc1; 10-04-2015 at 08:48 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #124
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Hmm, that's interesting, I'll give it go...

(FWIW: it builds properly. Hell, it even *works* properly, when used with my own stuff (ftbench, IM), it's just the FW 2.x/3.x/4.x framework that mysteriously craps out with it... And yeah, the last time this kind of crap happened, that was an ABI mismatch).

EDIT: Unfortunately, nope, still crashes .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-04-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #125
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
FW 2.x/3.x/4.x framework that mysteriously craps out with it ....
for the K2?
that framework must be built against some really old library code(s).

It could be worse, we could be trying to support the K1.

I finished my 'master list' of firmware releases for the Kindle, there have been about 112.
Even disregarding the K1, that is still over 100 different firmware releases.

Which makes it a bit of a chore to build a 'universal' application.

Last edited by knc1; 10-04-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #126
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
What about making KOreader it's own section? It's an app for different ereader devices, not only one.

Are there plans to port it to Onyx Eboox M96+? I'm going to receive it very soon and KOreader seems very interesting to me.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #127
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
What about making KOreader it's own section? It's an app for different ereader devices, not only one.

Are there plans to port it to Onyx Eboox M96+? I'm going to receive it very soon and KOreader seems very interesting to me.
KOreader has its repository with supporting site-like features, try there.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #128
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
KOreader has its repository with supporting site-like features, try there.
I mean a forum section for both users and developers. This is a known community, it could give a lot more support to the project than a simple wiki site with an issue tracker and the use of gitter for chatting

Here's my request, I gave the link to both KOreader and Cool Reader developers. Let's see what happens between them and Mobileread mods:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69#post3219769
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #129
SeaFly777
SeaFly777 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle-3
Dear friend, hello!

0) After receiving the Russifying Kindle e-book reader I found out that the version of its insertion became outdated - there was v3.1.

1) I opened our Russian site for the Chinese clever products
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php
and found there, as well as than to stitch your device.

I updated new e-book reader to the v3.4.2 version. by means of three insertions:
Update_kindle_3.1_3.3_B008;
Update_kindle_3.3_3.4_B008;
Update_kindle_3.4_3.4.2_B008

2) Further I tried it to Russify with the help programs: Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3w_install, and actually files for russification: update_loc_ru_3.4r4_k3w_install and Update_fontfix_0.8_k3w_install.

However, installation wasn't successful.

Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3w_install - the update sees (the inscription of "Update Your Kindle" - is active), but doesn't install, writes: "Found another jailbreak, abbortins...", a mistake - "U006".

Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3w_uninstall - the update sees (the inscription of "Update Your Kindle" - is active) and install successfully (uninstalls jailbreak)

Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3w-3.0-to-3.2_install - the update sees (the inscription of "Update Your Kindle" - is active), but doesn't install, a mistake - "U004".

3) I tried to establish insertions from other devices:

Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3g_install - the update doesn't see (the inscription of "Update Your Kindle" - isn't active), not possibly to install.

Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3bg_install
- the update doesn't see (the inscription of "Update Your Kindle" - isn't active), not possibly to install.

4) Restart - doesn't help.

5) Reset to Factory Defaults - doesn't help.

6) Doesn't see your Russifying Kindle files (the inscription of "Update Your Kindle" - isn't active).

7) All hope only for your employee who Russified my book - what jailbreak he used?
In attempt to establish jailbreak for the version of an insertion of v3.4.2 the e-book reader writes: "Found another jailbreak, abbortins..."
I, assume, this "another jailbreak" needs to be removed, and, only then, it will be possible to establish new jailbreak and to Russify your file your e-book reader.

New Kindle Device Info:
WI-FI MAC Address: 28:EF:01:09:C1:7A
Serial Number: B008 0000 0000 0000
Network Capability: Wi-Fi

My old Kindle Device Info:
WI-FI MAC Address: 28:EF:01:49:73: D0
Serial Number: B008 XXXX XXXX XXXX
Network Capability: Wi-Fi

Yours faithfully,
Sergey

Last edited by issybird; 01-23-2016 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Obscure serial number.
SeaFly777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:26 AM   #130
knc1
Going Viral

#7 - Try:
http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-jailbreak/

Last edited by knc1; 01-23-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #131
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@NiLuJe: Are the RP & CRP installers linked in OP compatible with / safe to install on PW3(00 dpi)?
If yes, should I re-run jailbreak bridge/hotfix bin after installing RP so that the necessary files get copied to /mnt/us/rp for future auto-restore, just like MKK ones already are there?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #132
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@shamanNS: AFAICT, yeah. Can't remember if the diags part that was checked was a PW3 or a KV, but it should be okay.

And, no, you don't need to do anything extra if you're using my own RP/CRP packages .
Old 02-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #133
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Updated the snapshots for some FW 5.7.2 love, in particular the Fonts hack, where the sans override should now be much safer (with the addition of Amazon Ember as the exclusive UI font, we can now tweak Helvetica and Futura safely).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-07-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #134
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If anyone on a true x86 Linux box can check that I didn't break the i686 KindleTool builds, that'd be great .

(I updated my desktop, and am finally running an x86_64 system, yay. Which means I'm now leveraging GCC's multilib feature to build those. It's been a very long while since I've had to play with that manually... I think I got everything right, but, still... ^^).
Old 02-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #135
knc1
Going Viral

I can try that for you.

Yup - it at least gives out the usage info without complaints.

Last edited by knc1; 02-12-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje