Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #61
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kaznelson: Ah, so that's why the KeepAlive implementation was tweaked again ;p. Just as a random check: does it still happen with the latest development snapshot of PuTTy?

Anyway, I'll backport upstream's changes in the next builds, thanks for the heads up . (In the meantime, you can switch SSHD to OpenSSH [EDIT: Or tweak SSH_DAEMON_OPTS in usbnet/lib/libkh[5] to remove the -K 15 switch]).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #62
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
NiLuJe
Yes, in PuTTY development snapshot 2014-08-25:r10211 - same error.

Removal of switch "-K 15" in a file usbnet/bin/libkh5 has helped.
Thanks!

Last edited by kaznelson; 08-25-2014 at 07:31 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There, updated the snapshots .

The DropBear issue *should* be fixed, give me a shout if it still breaks w/ some weird clients .

As mentioned, Python now ships with the sqlite3 module; and a couple of third-party modules (requests, unidecode, cffi).
I tweaked the install scripts, don't be alarmed if it takes more time than before to 'install', that's normal .
I left the sqlite3 binary in (the CLI client), since, while mostly redundant because it ships with the vanilla firmware, it's basically free at 65KB .
And on the subject of SQLite, while the K4/5/PW/PW2 binaries are built with ICU support, the legacy binaries aren't (because we'd need the ICU data, and it's huge, and since we don't have unified packages for those, it gets pretty ridiculous (150MB! )).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-26-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #64
rApeNB
rApeNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Do JailBreak necessary to install MKK?
rApeNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:55 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rApeNB View Post
Do JailBreak necessary to install MKK?
Yes.
and:
If you are asking about the K5,PW1,PW2 Jailbreak in this thread - -
**The K5,PW1,PW2** Jailbreak **here** installs MKK at the same time.

If asking about the Jailbreak for another model - please mention what model you are asking about.
We do need some context to correctly answer your question.

Last edited by knc1; 09-15-2014 at 05:04 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #66
rApeNB
rApeNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks you! Then I wonder JailBreak is JailBreak, MKK is MKK, am I right?
rApeNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rApeNB View Post
Thanks you! Then I wonder JailBreak is JailBreak, MKK is MKK, am I right?
Yes, two different things, for two different purposes.

But a recent change to the K5,PW1,PW2 JB package makes it install both the JB and MKK.

Only to save the user the trouble of installing two packages.

This newest JB package also makes the MKK install survive firmware updates.
(At least for now - nobody knows what Amazon may do in the future.)

- - - -

No one has posted (either here or at the Duokan site) if this change in our package disturbs Duokan r5.16.
No one has posted at the Duokan site if they adopted our newest JB package in Duokan r5.16
(normal - for them - they never credit the author(s) of what they take as their own).

It is known that Duokan r5.16 can not Jailbreak firmware 5.4.5 or 5.4.5.1
(the announcement post still requires using our downgrade method, also without credit).

Last edited by knc1; 09-15-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #68
finitelife
finitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enough

Device: PaperWhite
I am really glad I found this thread! I've been using most of this on my PW1 for a few days now.

So I've edited all of these scripts (I'm a big whitespace hater) and I thought you might appreciate a few of my extension changes (comments removed for simplicity);

Code:
#the basic idea here is that you can pad on both sides simultaneously
#and truncate to EIPS_MAXCHARS
eips_print_bottom_centered(){
  [ $# -lt 1 ] && return
  local kh_eips_string="${1}"
  while [ ${#kh_eips_string} -lt ${EIPS_MAXCHARS} ]; do kh_eips_string=" ${kh_eips_string} "; done
  usleep 150000
  eips 0 $((${EIPS_MAXLINES}-${2:-1}-2)) "${kh_eips_string:0:${EIPS_MAXCHARS}}" >/dev/null
}
Code:
#one line scripts just pollute the directory
#and add an extra layer of complexity
#I simply throw the command into action/params
#heck, some times I throw entire scripts into here
#(see attached craziness)
"name":"Show Network Info",
"action":"lipc-set-prop -s com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.booklet.settings?diagnosticMode=\\;711"

"name":"Screensaver - Disable",
"action":"lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver",
"params":"1",
Anyways, use, don't use, or tell me why I'm wrong

Oh yeah, and the attached file is a menu.json that turns off the PW1/2 front light when the user sets it to 0 using the menu. Its completely self-contained.
Attached Files
File Type: gz frontlight.tar.gz (10.0 KB, 643 views)
finitelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by finitelife View Post
I am really glad I found this thread! I've been using most of this on my PW1 for a few days now.

So I've edited all of these scripts (I'm a big whitespace hater) and I thought you might appreciate a few of my extension changes (comments removed for simplicity);

- - - - -

Anyways, use, don't use, or tell me why I'm wrong

Oh yeah, and the attached file is a menu.json that turns off the PW1/2 front light when the user sets it to 0 using the menu. Its completely self-contained.
An **extremely bad idea** (tm).

There isn't a text file reading application that can not skip whitespace and its comment syntax fast and efficiently.

The human mind needs that whitespace, its structure and the comments for comprehension, both now and in the future.
Particularly in the future.

An example of whitespace structure and code comprehensibility:
http://www.ioccc.org/2004/gavin.c

In case that program isn't immediately obvious;
A snippet of the author's comments:
Quote:
This is a 32-bit multitasking operating system for x86 computers, with GUI and filesystem, support for loading and executing user applications in elf binary format, with ps2 mouse and keyboard drivers, and vesa graphics. And a command shell. And an application - a simple text-file viewer.
And no, it wasn't written by Lab126's Java department.

- - - - -

Don't have a C compiler handy?
Here is one:
http://www.ioccc.org/2001/bellard.c
Let your mind dwell on that one for awhile.

(By the author of Tiny-C Compiler (tcc) )

Last edited by knc1; 10-02-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'm a whitespace, hard tabs & comments lover, for pretty much exactly the reasons knc1 exposed .

That said, having a background in literature & linguistics instead of maths & CS probably plays a part here ;p.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #71
finitelife
finitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enoughfinitelife will become famous soon enough

Device: PaperWhite
I appreciate the whitespace love and the desire to create understandable and maintainable code, I really do. However I code closed source for a living and writing unmaintainable code simply means job security. Evil, I know.

My points in the previous posts were simply;

1. You can pad on both sides, saving a loop (otherwise the bottom centered code is pretty tight)
2. One line scripts, if simple enough, can and IMHO should be launched directly via kual. From a KUAL/filesystem perspective, it just reduces clutter and complexity. If a user wanted to use the same command via shell, then they would ideally also use the command instead of the script. It just breeds competence.

Oh, btw, I use a PW1, and as of today:
KUAL stuff works fine. LOVE the battery indicator.
K5 stuff works fine (I haven't used dummy/downgrader)

Once again, much love for the scripts, I use them constantly. Keep up the good work.
finitelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #72
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by finitelife View Post
I appreciate the whitespace love and the desire to create understandable and maintainable code, I really do.

However I code closed source for a living and writing unmaintainable code simply means job security. Evil, I know.
Well now, some of us also do this for a living.

But getting paid to dig through "old" code (even your own) is a lot different situation than asking (even by implication) someone to invest a lot of their own valuable hobby time digging through "old" code.

In the OpenSource world, at least that part that depends on volunteers, there is a strong tendency to make the "next person's" job easier.
Otherwise, there will rarely be a "next person" -
They will spend their time on something else.

- - - -

O.T:
Personally, I have seen a lot of coding practices come and go in the past 50 years (the Avatar is a self - photo).
And I like what I see the "OpenSource Movement" is doing to the profession.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@finitelife: case in point: I didn't even see the changes at first glance ;D.

I didn't rely on the position/slice substring stuff because it's not available on the ancient busybox ash version bundled on legacy devices, and I tend to try to keep most of it portable across the whole range of Kindles, even if there's effectively two different branches of my hacks .

I appreciate the effort tough .
Old 10-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #74
arrakis10
arrakis10 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
hello everyone,

I just bought the PW2. my firmware is 5.4.3.2
I tried the kindle-jailbreak-1.11.N-r10947.tar.xz
the systeme upgrade is not in grey but when it begin to flash after 5 seconds there is a screen which said that it failed "error 07"
and after that the pw2 reboot

someone know how to avoid this "error"

thank you
arrakis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #75
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@arrakis10: Don't reboot the device, use the "Update Your Kindle" link. If it does reboot when using the UYK link, then you're either on a newer, unsupported firmware version, or you have a proper firmware update pending, or you had a proper update pending at some recent point and the OTA updater is confused (in which case clear the userstore of anything remotely looking like an update, restart your device, and try again).

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje