Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #151
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If anyone on a true x86 Linux box can check that I didn't break the i686 KindleTool builds, that'd be great .

(I updated my desktop, and am finally running an x86_64 system, yay. Which means I'm now leveraging GCC's multilib feature to build those. It's been a very long while since I've had to play with that manually... I think I got everything right, but, still... ^^).
I just tested it in my Mint x86 VirtualBox VM, and the extract function worked just fine. However, even running as root, the create function reported "archive_read_next_header2() failed: *.*: Cannot stat (FAILED). Failed to create intermediate archive '/tmp/kindletool_create_tarball_QNYi7x'." which is strange because root is in a vitualbox CDI image file.

It SHOULD work. Why can't my x86 write to its own virtual /tmp/ even while running as root? Anyway, it works fine for some functions and not others. I suspect my win32 (local tempfile) fix would also work here as well...

Hopefully it would work as expected on a non-emulated x86 linux...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #152
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1:

Just updated the snapshots, everything but readelf should now be fixed . Thanks for the heads up and detailed report .

As for the finicky power savings of the K2, try stopping powerd, IIRC, that was the usual workaround. I can't remember if it's only needed with telnet or not, there might be some hints about that in the USBNet readme, but I don't remember having to do it over SSH... Might be a list of monitored ports somewhere...

@geekmaster: Is there a grsec kernel involved somewhere? Or some other hardened features?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-04-2016 at 06:01 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #153
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
converting and then creating an update works without a problem on this non-emulated i686 machine (vanilla Arch Linux).
Built from latest git HEAD.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #154
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@eschwartz: I was mostly interested in the x86 snapshot binaries, but good to know the code magically doesn't implode when built on Arch ;p.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #155
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I was responding to geekmaster's mysterious error. Otherwise I'd've reported on it two months ago, except knc1 already confirmed they weren't utterly broken.
But just in case, I have now tested with your snapshots as well. Still no problems.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-04-2016 at 06:31 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #156
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@eschwartz: Yay! Thanks .
Old 04-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #157
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Today's build of USBnetworking, works on my K2.

Thanks a lot.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #158
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

but this one is really strange:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# eu-objdump -d /bin/mountpoint 
/bin/mountpoint: elf32-ebl_arm

eu-objdump: cannot disassemble
Was the bfd's (or binutils, I forget which) options not set to include *-arm?

Not a big deal, with dropbear once again running, I can scp to/from my desktop for using readelf / objdump on binaries.

(the utilities I built on my desktop fall into the category: "If the binary is for something that used/uses electricity - I can deal with it.")

Last edited by knc1; 04-05-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #159
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: The requisite dependencies should be shipped (/mnt/us/usbnet/lib/libebl_arm.so), but that vaguely rings a bell. No idea what's going wrong ;p.

EDIT: On the other hand, it also fails on my desktop in the exact same manner, so... .

EDIT²: Apparently, elfutils *might* not support disassembly of anything not remotely looking like x86 :?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-05-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #160
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1: The requisite dependencies should be shipped (/mnt/us/usbnet/lib/libebl_arm.so), but that vaguely rings a bell. No idea what's going wrong ;p.

EDIT: On the other hand, it also fails on my desktop in the exact same manner, so... .

EDIT²: Apparently, elfutils *might* not support dissasembly on anything not remotely looking like x86 :?
? ? ? ?
Something changed while I wasn't looking?

objdump is part of binutils and uses the bfd library, part of binutils also.
https://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/

A snippet of binutils, configure.ac
Code:
    if test "$is_elf" = "yes"; then
      # Check for target supported by gold.
      case "${target}" in
        i?86-*-* | x86_64-*-* | sparc*-*-* | powerpc*-*-* | arm*-*-* \
        | aarch64*-*-* | tilegx*-*-* | mips*-*-* | s390*-*-*)
	  configdirs="$configdirs gold"
	  if test x${ENABLE_GOLD} = xdefault; then
	    default_ld=gold
	  fi
	  ENABLE_GOLD=yes
          ;;
      esac
    fi
I.E: If it is targeted for arm, it **should** build a bfd (big f...ing deal) library for assembly/disassembly of anything arm.

Last edited by knc1; 04-05-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #161
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, but that's not the GNU set of utilities from binutils, that's the ones from the elfutils project (which also happens to be hosted by Fedora ;p). Hence the eu- prefix, for ElfUtils .
Old 04-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #162
knc1
Going Viral

Why?

You can't compile for a target without the c library (glibc in this case).
You can't build libc without first building binutils.

Once you've built binutils, well you've built all of it utilities.

Just look in your cross-build tree - you probably built it without even noticing.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #163
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Probably because I didn't want to rebuild it a second time with the appropriate workarounds in place for the K3 build, whereas I was already building elfutils for strace/ltrace .

But, yeah, that's a pretty decent alternative to the whole K3 mess on that front .

EDIT: That, and, more to the point, since I'm doing a cross-build, the binutils binaries I have are cross, too (i.e., x86_64 targeting arm).
My actual sysroot is pretty bare with ct-ng, basically just libc & libstdc++.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-05-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #164
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1: Probably because I didn't want to rebuild it a second time with the appropriate workarounds in place for the K3 build, whereas I was already building elfutils for strace/ltrace .

But, yeah, that's a pretty decent alternative to the whole K3 mess on that front .

EDIT: That, and, more to the point, since I'm doing a cross-build, the binutils binaries I have are cross, too (i.e., x86_64 targeting arm).
My actual sysroot is pretty bare with ct-ng, basically just libc & libstdc++.
Good point.

You do have to take an extra step to build **something** for the target.

Have you looked at just copying in a Debian (wheezy?) set of binutils binaries?

No hurry - -

My B002 is charging -
My B003 is going "into the shop" for a serial port connection . . .

Although now, after I bricked it, it occurs to me the likely reason (PEBCAK strikes again - I forgot something) . . .
Old 04-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #165
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Sure, but where's the fun in that .

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje