Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #46
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I got my Paperwhite 4 this morning and I just put it and my Voyage on the same page of the same book, making sure my font and other settings were the same. I think the Voyage does seem slightly brighter. The light on both was set at 12 so I bumped it to 13 on the PW4 and now the PW4 is slightly brighter. In both cases the difference is small enough that I'm not really sure it's real.

A bigger difference is that the white background on the PW4 seems to almost have a faint graininess, a little like seeing fibers in paper. Again it's just an impression when I stare at the screen for a minute. It's not something obvious or noticeable if I'm not looking for it.

The screens are obviously not identical but it's hard to pinpoint a real difference that I'm sure of. And I'm not sure either of them is better than the other.

I did a few minutes reading on the PW4 a little while ago. Before it came I was reading the same book on my Voyage. Last night I was reading it on the PW3 I keep by my bed. They're all Kindles and the reading experience is pretty much the same on all of them as far as I can see.

I have the Voyage and the PW3 in covers and my cover for the PW4 won't arrive till Monday so I can't really compare the way they feel in my hand but using the PW4 without a cover it feels light and comfortable to hold.

My suggestion is to not focus on differences. There seem to be some differences but none that I can name or care about. I'm glad I got it.

Oh, one other thing about the PW4 that surprised me. It has 4G and my other ones have 3G but when I used it without my Wifi to be sure it's working it said 3G. I don't have AT&T but I know people who do and they get good 4G service here. I'm not really sure what to make of this. I'm not sure I care but I am curious.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #47
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Oh, one other thing about the PW4 that surprised me. It has 4G and my other ones have 3G but when I used it without my Wifi to be sure it's working it said 3G. I don't have AT&T but I know people who do and they get good 4G service here. I'm not really sure what to make of this. I'm not sure I care but I am curious.

Barry
It's possible (likely?) they just use 3g to indicate cellular. I'm of the opinion it doesn't matter whether you're on 3g or 4g if you can download.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #48
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Taking lots of vitamin C and resting, my husband is doing better today. He has the PW3 & now the PW4. Side by side the PW4 looks a little whiter. Also I compared the PW4 with my Voyage and the Voyage looks a little brighter. I think they have a coating on the PW4 that makes it look a little different. He did put both PW3 & PW4 to the brightest setting 24 and then they looked the same. Only when he adjusted to his reading setting of 12 they look different. Not by much though.

Last edited by Wearever; 11-09-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Comparing screens:
Best to compare with front light OFF / Minimum and just room light or daylight as the LEDs or LED settings might be different.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #50
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Did I hear/read correctly that the screen is made out of some sort of anti-scratch material? I know the Voyage screen was more resistant to scratches being made of glass, but the new Paperwhite is plastic, so is it less scratch-resistant?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #51
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
I've just upgraded from my 2013 PW2 and can safely say it's a big upgrade. Lovely edgeless surface, much more uniform lighting and a far superior feel in the hands. Gone is the annoying usb notch at the bottom which I could never get used to, it now feels smooth and lighter when holding for long periods.

The comment about this being more like a tablet doesn't make any sense to me. With lighting off it looks identical to the PW2 and I've noticed no increase in glare or reduced reading angle.

Overall a very happy customer and the best bit is being able to take this into the bath and not worry about splashes or dropping it.

An absolute bargain at 120 quid. I was never going to cough up over £200 for an Oasis and I expect Amazon will have big sales on this unit.

Last edited by max99; 11-10-2018 at 09:46 AM.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #52
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
PW4 Software

Just noticed that my new PW4 (2018/10th generation) came installed with software version 5.10.1.2. Also noticed on the PW4 that there is a setting to "Disable Touchscreen", which seems like a weird feature to have on a device that doesn't have physical page turn buttons...
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #53
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
The comment about this being more like a tablet doesn't make any sense to me. With lighting off it looks identical to the PW2 and I've noticed no increase in glare or reduced reading angle.
At home I haven't had glare issues, but I did when I took it in to work and exposed it to different lighting areas. I can't read with this one under florescent light in the same way I did my PW3 (flat), because of the glare it picks up from being under it. I can live with it, but the occasional glare and all the fingerprint smudges are one thing I didn't miss from my tablet, which is why I made the comparison. I'm going to buy some eyeglass cleaning cloth to carry with me and start cleaning it daily to try to keep the smudges off.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 11-10-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Just noticed that my new PW4 (2018/10th generation) came installed with software version 5.10.1.2. Also noticed on the PW4 that there is a setting to "Disable Touchscreen", which seems like a weird feature to have on a device that doesn't have physical page turn buttons...
I believe I read in a review somewhere that it only disables tap to turn pages. Swipe still works. I guess it makes sense if one is prone to accidental taps (easier now with the flush bezel).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #55
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I believe I read in a review somewhere that it only disables tap to turn pages. Swipe still works. I guess it makes sense if one is prone to accidental taps (easier now with the flush bezel).
This is true, I tried tapping the screen at first and I thought the screen froze up. Then I tried swiping and it worked. This feature can be turned on or off.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #56
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
it sounds to me, from another post, that there is no usb port. is that correct, or has it been relocated? tia
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #57
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Thanks for clarifying the intent of this feature.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #58
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I want to keep an eye on this thread to see what people think of the new Paperwhite. My Voyage just died after 20 months so I won’t be spending that much money on a Kindle again. I will miss the page press sensors but the flush screen surface is a plus. I think I will take a look at the Kobo Clara HD and the Nook Glowlight 3. I am not going to rush into my next reader purchase.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #59
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I want to keep an eye on this thread to see what people think of the new Paperwhite. My Voyage just died after 20 months so I won’t be spending that much money on a Kindle again. I will miss the page press sensors but the flush screen surface is a plus. I think I will take a look at the Kobo Clara HD and the Nook Glowlight 3. I am not going to rush into my next reader purchase.
A LOT of people have reported being troubled the "light bleed" that seems affect the majority of Clara HDs. You may want to add the Aura H2O2 to the list of candidates. I really love my Clara, big improvement over my PW2nd gen, but I'm still looking forward to getting an H2O2 in a week or so. Also, at 6.8 inches, the screensize is nearer to the Voyage than the 6-inch Clara
Old 11-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #60
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
It's possible (likely?) they just use 3g to indicate cellular. I'm of the opinion it doesn't matter whether you're on 3g or 4g if you can download.
I don't really care which one it has but when something isn't what I expect I'm usually curious to know why. I'm not sure how to go about finding out though.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote