Notices

Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #1
gabaldini
Enthusiast
gabaldini has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle paperwhite
my opinion about different ios readers

This is my opinion about my experience with four different reader apps in ios,:
  • customization. For me is the most important feature,one of the reasons I prefer ios to an eink reader, the possibility to add url schemes,search your own dictionary, etc
    Marvin and Kybook 2 are great
    Mapleread and Hyphen dont have the possibility to add url Schemes
  • Database
    Marvin , Mapleread and Hyphen has very nice databases , Marvin has a random order that I like a lot.
    Kybook must improve
  • interface
    Here Mapleread and Hyphen are the best
    Kybook and Marvin are ok.
  • page count
    Hyphen seems the best, in Marvin you can customize the page information you want, Kybook is good too, Mapleread only gives pages in chapter
  • pdf
    here Mapleread se and kybook 2 are the winners

My conclusions

Marvin is the best , but lacks pdf support and has some minor issues
Mapleread and Hyphen are magnificent apps but lacking the possibility to use reader own dictionary , or app
Kybook 2 is a great app, but his database is not very good
I expect these apps would improve to give the readers all they want!

Last edited by gabaldini; 02-01-2017 at 06:45 AM.
gabaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
One of the reasons that there isn't one and only one ebook reader is that everyone likes different things. I find that I like reading via Marvin better than reading via Maplereader. It's not any one thing. It syncs well enough for me across multiple iPads (I use a pro and mini in my reading) and I simply like the Marvin screen better for reading.

My current configuration is calibre companion and marvin.

The downside is that reading apps for the iPad is basically a hobby rather than a livelihood. The money just isn't there. Most people are satisfied with the iBook and Kindle apps and never go beyond them. It would be nice if someone would constantly be improving their app, but I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect that to happen.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Customization for me is the most important feature,one of the reasons I prefer ios to an eink reader, the possibility to add url schemes,search your own dictionary, etc
Marvin and Kybook 2 are great
Mapleread and Hyphen dont have the possibility to add url Schemes
Mapleread does have URL schemes, but not as many as Marvin. The upcoming version of Mapleread will extend this option.

I really like both Marvin and Mapleread. I therefore use Calibre Companion for IOS to organize my ebooks on my iPad devices. It makes it easy to follow my whims on the choice of ereader app.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
gabaldini
Enthusiast
gabaldini has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Mapleread does have URL schemes, but not as many as Marvin. The upcoming version of Mapleread will extend this option.

I really like both Marvin and Mapleread. I therefore use Calibre Companion for IOS to organize my ebooks on my iPad devices. It makes it easy to follow my whims on the choice of ereader app.
Yes , it has one web url, and one real Url scheme has been added, this is great!
that is what I was asking, if only another Url scheme were added , and a random order of books in database, will make Mapleread the perfect App for me.

Last edited by gabaldini; 02-03-2017 at 04:51 AM.
gabaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I see. But your solution does not work for me. One of the reasons is that notes (highlights and annotations) are not portable across those apps. Of course, this is not the fault of the apps per se, as there is no viable open standard for notes.

I tend to take a lot of notes when reading non-fictions. Note management (capturing, editing, organizing, sharing, syncing) has been a great strength of MapleRead since day one. I just love it!
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:24 AM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The downside is that reading apps for the iPad is basically a hobby rather than a livelihood. The money just isn't there. Most people are satisfied with the iBook and Kindle apps and never go beyond them. It would be nice if someone would constantly be improving their app, but I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect that to happen.
This is the crux of the matter. Basically, it's a miracle that any of these apps exists and that we don't need to use atrocious e-reader apps like iBooks or Kindle. Yes, each of these alternative apps has its many flaws, too, but it's much better compared to if all we had was just bland and dumb corporate software like iBooks and Kindle.

It's 2017, and the situation has slowly been improving compared to, say, 2011, just after Amazon killed Stanza. The situation was utterly bleak back then – it seemed hopeless. There was no Marvin. No MapleRead. No Hyphen. Now we do have these apps, although there's huge room for improvement in each of them. But overall, the situation in 2017 is markedly better than in 2011.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:53 AM   #7
MobileFinder
MobileFinder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile different ios readers

In my opinion interface is most important thing so, if we see the ios reader according to the interface Mapleread and Hyphen.
MobileFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I would still be using Stanza if I could.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaldini View Post
that is what I was asking, if only another Url scheme were added , and a random order of books in database, will make Mapleread the perfect App for me.
Why on Earth would you want your books displayed in a random order? How would you ever find anything?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:20 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
This is the crux of the matter. Basically, it's a miracle that any of these apps exists and that we don't need to use atrocious e-reader apps like iBooks or Kindle. Yes, each of these alternative apps has its many flaws, too, but it's much better compared to if all we had was just bland and dumb corporate software like iBooks and Kindle.
Each to their own, of course, but personally I don't find either the Kindle app or iBooks to be "atrocious". In particular, the Kindle app has superb dictionaries - the best of any reading app.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-01-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why on Earth would you want your books displayed in a random order? How would you ever find anything?
Maybe he likes the app to tell him what to read. I'd hate random order, crazy stuff.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I would still be using Stanza if I could.
I still have Stanza, but haven't used it in a few years. After your post, I loaded Stanza with the book I'm currently reading on Marvin. Had a head-to-head comparison of the two readers to refresh my memory.

In a nutshell, Marvin does everything that Stanza can do ... and much more.

Why would you still be using Stanza if you could?
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 AM   #13
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
I still have Stanza, but haven't used it in a few years. After your post, I loaded Stanza with the book I'm currently reading on Marvin. Had a head-to-head comparison of the two readers to refresh my memory.

In a nutshell, Marvin does everything that Stanza can do ... and much more.

Everything? Stanza can read PDF, but Marvin can't.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:15 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

GoodReader is a far, far better PDF reader.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stanza is garbage. It doesn't work well enough not to be.

Apps that don't respect CSS are garbage. Apps have an override mode but still don't respect the CSS are garbage. When you have overrides, all overrides have to be able to be shut off so the CSS can be used where it's wanted. One thing some apps do is they screw up a text indent of 0. That has to be handled differently than a regular indent. If a text indent of 0 is going to be overridden, then it has to be separate from a regular text indent.

The other issue is fonts. Marvin is garbage because when you are in override mode, it doesn't respect the CSS properly. For example no embedded fonts are displayed.

So what iOS reading app allows you to see the eBook as the the coding says it should be and has proper overrides that allows you to turn all of the overrides off so you see the eBook as the coding says it should? Do these apps handle text indents of 0 so you can change the regular text indents while leaving text indents of 0 alone?

I'm guessing there isn't such an app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote