Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Kamikuza
Connoisseur
Kamikuza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Kindle Previewer - block auto update?

2.94 doesn't do PaperWhite any more, only Voyage and DX in the e-ink category, and that bugs me... but 2.922 keeps auto updating itself, even when I block it in the Mac OS X firewall, and overwriting the file.

Any other suggestions? Except just use 2.94
Kamikuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I had version 2.923 and had it set to update so I got updated where Voyager was listed instead of PW.

I changed the setting to ask me what I want to do for updates, then copied over an older copy from my other drive, which is 2.922 and the setting held for asking what I want to do for the update held, it did not update.

It imight be that the layout is identical but the page size just increases? I just might let it update again to test that out for the heck of it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Where's that setting? I looked for it but couldn't find it...

Do my editing on a 13inch Macbook and the PW view just fit the screen. Voyage and DX are way too big.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's under Help, Update Options. I've been trying to hunt down the installation files for 2.923, but I can only find links to Amazon's small installer file. I do have the complete installation file for v 2.921, but no idea where I managed to find that from. But I have it in case I ever need to do a reinstallation. But copying over the old installed files from another drive did get me back to 2.922 that's fully working as it should.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 12-14-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Man, I looked for that setting but didn't see it - thanks for that!

Now, I have to turn off the wifi and restart the app, cos by the time I've opened it and selected no autoupdates... it's already updated

I've got 2.922. It has that bug where it doesn't write the .mobi files in a separate folder, but lumps them into a single file. You can "show package contents" to get at it though...

Sigh.
Advert
Old 12-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Maybe enough people will complain to Amazon about it and they'll add the PW back in as a choice. I'm still digging around for a full installation copy of 2.923 in the meantime.

Edit: I did update again to 2.94 to see the differences. It displays differently within Kindle Previewer as the screenshots show, but once you open the files in Kindle for PC, they look identical. The files created are identical size as well between both versions, and they both only create one .mobi file. But I can see in your case you definitely don't want the larger size. Even on my 24" monitor, I have to scroll to read the full page in 2.94, it doesn't fit like 2.922 does when selecting Paperwhite. I'm definitely going back to 2.922 and staying there for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Previewer 2.922.png
Views:	454
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	132495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Previewer 2.94.png
Views:	346
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	132496  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 12-14-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:52 PM   #7
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

No, that didn't work. Definitely have that set to "Ask me..." but it just auto-updates as soon as I open it... so it's back to copying and pasting 2.922 every time I want to use it

Last edited by Kamikuza; 01-26-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:00 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

That's odd. I just opened mine to check and I didn't get an update, it's still on 2.922 without having to do any copy/pasting. Did you double check that the setting held and didn't revert back to the update option?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:54 AM   #9
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Yeah, I've checked it a few times and it's always off... and it's blocked in the firewall! Tenacious bugger... Ah, should try starting it with the Internet off and see if that helps.

Say you don't have 2.93 do you?