Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
GreyNomad
GreyNomad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Getting book's id number programatically

Is there a faster/easy way to get the id number of a book through an API function? The only way I have found to do this is to execute calibredb with the 'list' function and scan the returned list for the book title and author. With a large catalog, that can take a considerable amount of time.

I have to think there must be a faster, and hopefully easier, way.

Thanks,
~~ Grey
GreyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
How are you accessing calibre? Through a plugin? Though an external app that gets and then manipulates the data?

If you're using a plugin you can get the database object from the library_view. Then calibre.library.database.LibraryDatabase can return the id for an index.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
GreyNomad
GreyNomad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm sorry, I should have provided that information. I am accessing Calibre from an external program (written in Perl).

~~ Grey
GreyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
By "accessing Calibre" do you mean accessing calibre's database? If so, then do the SQL query to look up the record. If you are running calibre's command line programs from perl, then you might consider using a calibredb to dump a list of all the books, load them into a dict, and then look them up there.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote