Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-26-2023, 08:30 AM   #1
scm007
scm007 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx
Onyx or other device with GPS?

I'm looking for a device with color, GPS, and decent processing. The tab mini would be relatively good but it has no GPS I am not interested in workarounds, native GPS only. Anything out there or rumored? Android 12 GPS enabled note air C would be ideal.
scm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:59 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
An iPhone 15 Pro max would do. It has color. It has GPS. It has much better then decent processing. It has an OLED screen.

There is no good device with color eInk as color eInk is not good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
popej
Connoisseur
popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox leaf 2 black
OLED can look great indoors, but do you need GPS at home? Then you go outside, hiking or cycling, and you have to cope with sunlight to see the details on the map. Even in the car you can get problems.

Transflective LCD is much better for outdoor use. I haven't see color e-ink, but I guess it should be better too. The more sunlight the better.
popej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:15 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Yes, it's unfortunate that Onyx doesn't throw in GPS.
All the Qualcomm processors have GPS built in.
Unfortunately, it would almost be impossible to hook up the antenna.
Adding the GPS software would be a smaller wrinkle.

In short, the Hisense A9 with B&W Eink, GPS and rootable is as close as exists right now.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:28 PM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
The Hisense A5 Pro C has a colour eink screen and GPS. i found the GPS functionality was initially a little slow to establish a connection while hiking in remote areas in Japan this summer, but it worked and it was wonderful to have a colour screen for using with map apps.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2023, 04:25 PM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
An iPhone 15 Pro max would do. It has color. It has GPS. It has much better then decent processing. It has an OLED screen.

There is no good device with color eInk as color eInk is not good.

The current iPhone has far too much radiation and problems with overheating. Additionally, it's just too pricey.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote