Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2023, 01:21 PM   #1
IoI_xD
IoI_xD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle Development without KDK or Java?

I'm interested in making a modern reader program for my Jailbroken Kindle 4; yes, I've tried koreader, it's very nice but it's not optimized for non-touch kindles and runs very slowly (and sometimes outright crashes) on this Kindle. Even if I could get the KDK, I would be looking at documentation via the Wayback Machine which might not have everything backed up.

But I goto koreader's Github repo and see it's done in Lua. And furthermore, I see that it uses a compiled version of luajit. So there has to be some access to those APIs beyond Java, right? I do know that the system is just Linux/X11, and I could use that to display, but there's also the buttons on this model and other features that I don't have information on how to use.

Am I not finding something, or has nobody documented how to do Kindle development without Java? By documentation, I mean a cohesive document, not just looking at the source code for koreader.

Last edited by IoI_xD; 12-13-2023 at 01:26 PM.
IoI_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:39 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by IoI_xD View Post
X11
Not on a K4. It's plain LinuxFB.

The very few interactions KOReader has with "proprietary" APIs are handled via lipc, and that also doesn't exist on a K4.

EDIT: Correction. lipc (a custom superset of dbus) *does* exist; I was thinking of the lua bindings, which don't, because they were introduced for the sake of awesome, the X11 WM used on FW 5.x. But even there, as far as KOreader is concerned, we ignore X11 entirely.

So, there's basically nothing funky you need to know, it's just a tiny and crappy linux box.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-13-2023 at 02:41 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2024, 04:42 PM   #3
thebiscuitman
thebiscuitman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Hunting for kdk

Hi there, new here, but i'm hunting for the kdk documentation/sdks so i can write a kindlet for a k3 keyboard / k4 - has anyone got any leads? i saw @encol may have something but don't know how to DM https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=272794
thebiscuitman is offline   Reply With Quote