Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #241
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
Revive this thread because I came across a situation in 2 books recently read and would like to hear opinions about this

Do people in real life that are in the middle of taking a shower stop mid shower to go answer the door because someone rings the bell?

How about leaving the shower to answer the phone?

For me finishing the shower is more important than rushing trailing water and suds to go to the door, or the phone, whoever that is can wait or came back later.
No, I wouldn't be able to hear the shower. I can't even hear the door from my bedroom because i have window AC

However, I will say that I get interrupted A LOT by my parents who live across the street when I am in the bath and have to get out of it a lot due to this. It's annoying.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:46 AM   #242
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Judging by your answers this is indeed a «Thing that are common in fiction but not in your real life».
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #243
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Does anyone here refer to their own parents by their first names? I see this in books but everyone I know in real life refers to their parents as Mom or Dad (or some equivalent).
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #244
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Does anyone here refer to their own parents by their first names? I see this in books but everyone I know in real life refers to their parents as Mom or Dad (or some equivalent).
No, but wasn't that a thing in the seventies?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #245
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Not when I grew up (50's-60's). My parents were 'Pop' and 'Mom' till the day they died.
But now, it seems quite common, even at a real young age.
And we always referred to our friends parents as "Mr or Mrs" well into our teens.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:20 AM   #246
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I think it started in the 1930s or maybe 1950s. It's a particular socio-politcal demographic in England and never much caught on in Wales, Scotland, NI or Ireland. I think it's still rare on these Islands.

Mum is more common than Mom (UK & Ireland), but some areas it's Mam, Mummy or Mammy. Dad, Daddy.
Father, Pater, Mother, Mater tend to be more upper class, or sometimes used by Step-Children or Children-in-law of any class.
Also in Ireland there is mamaí (mammy) and daidí (daddy), which might explain why some less Irish speaking areas use mummy rather than mammy.
A mummified corpse is ‘mumaí’ [masculine]
Scottish is mamaidh, dadaidh [Pronounced: mammie, daddie]

It's very much related to "class" and geographic area. Class is of much more significance in England in terms of language and pronunciation.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #247
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
This is more about video fiction, but I noticed it when watching several old "Midsomer Murders" episodes on IMDB. Somebody gets murdered when the murderer topples a stack of heavy. . . 'stuff' on top of them, and the victim does nothing to get away!

I don't care how old and feeble I get, I'm going to at least TRY to step away!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #248
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People in books often go to the grocery store first before all their other errands, with no mention of keeping their cold things cold, such as having a cooler in the trunk of the car.

Unless it's really cold outside, I always save the grocery store for last.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #249
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
This is more about video fiction, but I noticed it when watching several old "Midsomer Murders" episodes on IMDB. Somebody gets murdered when the murderer topples a stack of heavy. . . 'stuff' on top of them, and the victim does nothing to get away!

I don't care how old and feeble I get, I'm going to at least TRY to step away!
Korean Dramas' version of this is people who stand on a zebra crossing and wait for a (always white) truck to hit them. It's actually known as "the truck of doom". Although the ease and frequency with drivers in K Dramas manage U-turns across 3-6 lanes in a city of 10 million is perhaps even more risible.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #250
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"Although the ease and frequency with drivers in K Dramas manage U-turns across 3-6 lanes in a city of 10 million is perhaps even more risible." - in real life as well. U-turns on major streets in Seoul are apparently part of driving there - at least I saw lots of this activity the last few times I was there.
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #251
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post
"Although the ease and frequency with drivers in K Dramas manage U-turns across 3-6 lanes in a city of 10 million is perhaps even more risible." - in real life as well. U-turns on major streets in Seoul are apparently part of driving there - at least I saw lots of this activity the last few times I was there.
Wow, that's fascinating, thank you! Here was I laughing at what I assumed was absurd only to find it was art imitating life. Now I'm in the mood to watch the freeway scene from Bowfinger again, still an llol moment after multiple watched
Old 12-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #252
paulag
paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like when people parting away without giving any hint to the other about where they are going and then magically bumping into each other years later in some far-flung city and stuffs like that.
paulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #253
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag View Post
I like when people parting away without giving any hint to the other about where they are going and then magically bumping into each other years later in some far-flung city and stuffs like that.
That happens all the time (well, once or twice a year) to me and my middle child. My wife just looks at us sideways and asks who this new person is. We rarely meet someone she's met before when this happens. For me, it's old college friends, church friends, work acquaintances, etc. For my kid it is classmates and their families.

It rarely happens near home though, mostly when we are on vacation. It's very weird but I've learned to keep my eyes open and expect to be pleasantly surprised when traveling.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #254
4691mls
Wizard

People in books always seem to skip putting on underwear if they're in a hurry.

I could understand this if it were a life-or-death emergency, like if the house is on fire you'd just grab the nearest thing to cover yourself up and run out the door. But short of such an extreme emergency, why? How long does it really take to put on underwear?

(I'm talking about modern-day books, not historical fiction from a time where women wore complicated undergarments that had to be laced up with the help of a maid....)
Old 02-03-2022, 11:04 AM   #255
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag View Post
This sort of thing happens. All.The.Time in real life. One day, while heading in for lunch at the staff dining room of the lumber mill he was working at, he literally bumped into his brother, of and from whom he'd heard nothing for 10 years or so after said brother had moved to Bougainville.