Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
shore_pk
Enthusiast
shore_pk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Footer or Header?

Is there a way to add a footer or header in Sigil?

For example I would like a certain link to show up at the bottom (or top) of each page in the book without having to manually add it to every page.
shore_pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
I have a book with a link back to the TOC at the bottom of every chapter.

I put the link into a template file called template.xhtml, then I start each chapter using the template file instead of creating a new file using Sigil. All of my boilerplate, for example the inclusion of my CSS, is already added into the template.xhtml file before I begin. I add the template.xhtml file to the book then rename it to the name of the chapter. Then, I put the chapter contents into the file.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shore_pk View Post

For example I would like a certain link to show up at the bottom (or top) of each page in the book without having to manually add it to every page.
You cannot have headers/footers in an ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You can have headers and footers at a document/file level in html5 but it is not easy to get running page headers and footers since page size is variable and unknown. In epub3 you can simulate it using an aside tag, some css such as "display: oeb-page-header" and/or javascript to open a pop-up window. I am sure there are other ways to simulate it as well.

But only the reading device know its page size and only it can allocate space in its window layout for each page of text for something like a running header or footer. It is typically not part of the epub itself, but of the device. Same with pop-up footnotes.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot have headers/footers in an ePub.
Not helpful, and not entirely true. Stop it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Again: What are you trying to accomplish here? What is the goal?

Quote:
To do...?

If it helps, explain it in physical book form:

Are you trying to recreate headers (chapter title) + footers (page numbers)? And swapping between them on left/right pages?

Or something like that?

Because that kind of information is generated and displayed automatically by the device/reader.

Remember: Ebooks =/= Print books, and there are some things you just don't transfer over. Headers/Footers being one!

Side Note: And do you have a physical device to test your ebooks on?

A Kobo, a Nook, a Kindle, etc.

I think some of these questions would be squelched once you mess around with an ebook for a few minutes on an actual device or reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
In epub3 you can simulate it using an aside tag, some css such as "display: oeb-page-header" and/or javascript to open a pop-up window.
Is there any device that even follows that? Yes, I know it's buried somewhere in the EPUB specs... but reality...

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-23-2021 at 12:51 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not helpful, and not entirely true. Stop it.
True enough for most purposes, and therefore helpful, I should think.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
True enough for most purposes, and therefore helpful, I should think.
No. Not helpful. Neither is this.

"Helpful" is attempting to find out what the OP is trying to do and suggesting alternatives or workarounds as others have done.

"Helpful" is acknowledging that while what they want to accomplish might be technically possible, it's not encouraged, nor will it likely be supported by a lot of hardware/software out there--like others have done.

"Unhelpful" is seeking to end all discussion/participation by issuing terse "can't" or "don't" replies that impart no knowledge.

The latter is what Jon tends to do around here that I'm not going to tolerate.

If you have no constructive advice to help the OP accomplish, or alter their goals please consider not replying at all.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One suggestion is to put the links on the first page of every chapter.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-23-2021 at 10:07 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've left the helpful portions of your most recent posts intact, Jon. The rest has been (and will continue to be) deleted. Please take the hint.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #11
shore_pk
Enthusiast
shore_pk began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wanted the same link at the bottom of each page but I've decided against this at this point. Thank you I've learned a lot from your responses!
shore_pk is offline   Reply With Quote