Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #106
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Boy this Nook software sure is horrendously dog slow though...
(Testing a GLP 2019)
Unfortunately yes, Nook is noticeably slower than Kobo or Kindle. It shouldn't be, given the hardware. Sloppy job, B&N
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:16 AM   #107
joss
joss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This has been reported before in the thread for the 4.18.x firmware. It is related to the size and complexity of the book and trying to do the full book page count. And I know Kobo is working on it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next firmware release.
Thanks you for your reply. If they take too long to fix it, I will go back to older one.
Joss
joss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #108
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Something missing from the Kobo vs Nook vs everything else debate of the last few pages is the fact that Kobo are the only big brand left that let you display the cover of your current read as the screensaver, this is always a deal-breaker for me and leaves me locked to Kobo, which is no problem for me because the Forma is the best thing I've ever bought.

Displaying the cover isn't just an aesthetic preference for me (although it does make the device look amazing imo), its necessary to fix the title and authors name in my head because I read so many books. Without it I'd find myself scratching my head trying to remember if Id read something or not if it had been a while since I'd read it.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #109
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Spoiler:
Something missing from the Kobo vs Nook vs everything else debate of the last few pages is the fact that Kobo are the only big brand left that let you display the cover of your current read as the screensaver, this is always a deal-breaker for me and leaves me locked to Kobo, which is no problem for me because the Forma is the best thing I've ever bought.

Displaying the cover isn't just an aesthetic preference for me (although it does make the device look amazing imo), its necessary to fix the title and authors name in my head because I read so many books. Without it I'd find myself scratching my head trying to remember if Id read something or not if it had been a while since I'd read it.
Funny how preferences differ. That was one of the first things I did on my Kobo, to replace the cover screensavers with custom photos. I have no wish whatsoever to look at the cover of the book I'm reading while I'm not reading it.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #110
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I barely ever notice the cover of the book I'm reading, except when I first open the book. I rarely see the book cover because my Kobo has a sleep cover over it.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #111
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Funny how preferences differ. That was one of the first things I did on my Kobo, to replace the cover screensavers with custom photos. I have no wish whatsoever to look at the cover of the book I'm reading while I'm not reading it.
Ironically this feature was only recently added to the Kobo line up, while it was present in Nook out of the gate. Though I think the more recent firmwares for Nook limit you to the preloaded ones, I can't say for sure as it's been awhile.

Still the whole idea of options is great, and is also one of the things that drew me to Kobo.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #112
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I barely ever notice the cover of the book I'm reading, except when I first open the book. I rarely see the book cover because my Kobo has a sleep cover over it.
That's me as well, but I do prefer the book cover rather than some random image even though I see it only briefly when opening the book. I like to read full page without the header that shows the book title, so it's been harder to recall a book by its actual name anymore, especially when I binge read a series all the way through. The cover helps remind me of the book title.

But in any case, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't display the cover if the reader was great in every other way. And I consider my Kobo Glo HD to be absolutely perfect for me, I doubt I'll ever upgrade from it unless all 3 of them die on me and can't be repaired.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #113
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Something missing from the Kobo vs Nook vs everything else debate of the last few pages is the fact that Kobo are the only big brand left that let you display the cover of your current read as the screensaver, this is always a deal-breaker for me and leaves me locked to Kobo...
I also like the cover as the screensaver. But then I remember romance novels were one of the early genre successes in ebooks because it is easy to hide the cover. So it's not for everyone.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #114
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I had my first Sony reader set to display some family photos as the sleep screen but never bothered with it on my next Sony. My Kobo just goes to the default Kobo/Walmart screen. I don't have a big desire to see the current book cover, but it's good to have the option for those who want it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #115
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I had my first Sony reader set to display some family photos as the sleep screen but never bothered with it on my next Sony. My Kobo just goes to the default Kobo/Walmart screen. I don't have a big desire to see the current book cover, but it's good to have the option for those who want it.
Go to "Energy Saving and Privacy" to set the Kobo to display book covers. You can also change the affiliate if you don't want to see Walmart at all.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #116
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Don't be ridiculous! The tweezers come free with the ebook reader, along with the new JonCase™ made out of steel.

Jeeezzzusss!
...no accessories come free with Apple products.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #117
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Go to "Energy Saving and Privacy" to set the Kobo to display book covers. You can also change the affiliate if you don't want to see Walmart at all.
I know how to do it, just don't have any real desire for it. As others have said, if you are closing the cover (actual physical cover) when not reading you're only going to see the book cover for a second as the reader wakes up.

I guess if you were going to leave the reader open on a coffee table or something where you would be looking at it, having the sleep screen show the book cover could be useful.

It's good they made the option available for those who care about it, though.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #118
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I know how to do it, just don't have any real desire for it. As others have said, if you are closing the cover (actual physical cover) when not reading you're only going to see the book cover for a second as the reader wakes up.
I should have read a little further back. Sorry. I thought what were meant that Walmart's Kobo sleep screen only showed Walmart screensavers. Sloppy reading on my part.

Quote:
I guess if you were going to leave the reader open on a coffee table or something where you would be looking at it, having the sleep screen show the book cover could be useful.
It can be useful to me because I sometimes read different books on different eReaders and, for the Tolinos, I don't (yet) have a sleep cover. But I wouldn't cry a river if the feature went away.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote