Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 02:23 AM   #1
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
PocketBook Inkpad X 10.3"

Well, it seems it's going to be a new competitor on 10.3 ereaders.
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-inch-e-reader

Enviado desde mi Redmi 3S mediante Tapatalk
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
Rsf
Rsf began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
How competitive is the 450$ price tag ?
Rsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Exactly. If it's that expensive it's not gonna be interesting. For 300/350 it could be worth it, but 450$...

That being said, on paper it seems like a nice reader for pdf files.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:15 AM   #4
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is this more durable or something compared to other eReaders? I would never risk using that thing on the rocks like that girl in the video ad, if it slips my hand I expect it would shatter.

That being said, I think the advantage over, say, an iPad or any other tablet is the battery life. And of course the eInk screen on such a large device, if people would be willing to trade app flexibility for that.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:51 AM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Looks like the comfy hardware design from Inkpad 2 is never coming back. Very sad

Touch HD 2 was the last Pocketbook with big comfortable keys.

The actual announcement https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/news/inkpad-x-news

Last edited by mobama; 10-12-2019 at 03:53 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:59 AM   #6
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Thumbs up Nice, but expensive for what it is.

"I am concerned about software optimization and limited application."

- "Beautiful equipment", I really like. But I'm worried about optimizing the software that is the most stuttering on dual-core devices like Inkpad 3 and Inkpad 3 Pro for Pocketbooks.
*Despite 1Gb HW and Dual-Core CPUs, I still have a bug to improve overall reactivity. Other competing brands with memory / RAM - 512Mb and 1x SingleCore are much more reactive, so the problem comes from optimizing the OS core.

-Almost at the same price it is possible to buy a much more powerful Likebook Alita -> with OS Android and pencil WACOM, integrated speakers (and micro SD port). IMHO Pocketbook would have to lower the price to at least 399$ to compete with

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 10-12-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
"I am concerned about software optimization and limited application."

- "Beautiful equipment", I really like. But I'm worried about optimizing the software that is the most stuttering on dual-core devices like Inkpad 3 and Inkpad 3 Pro for Pocketbooks.
*Despite 1Gb HW and Dual-Core CPUs, I still have a bug to improve overall reactivity. Other competing brands with memory / RAM - 512Mb and 1x SingleCore are much more reactive, so the problem comes from optimizing the OS core.

-Almost at the same price it is possible to buy a much more powerful Likebook Alita -> with OS Android and pencil WACOM, integrated speakers (and micro SD port). IMHO Pocketbook would have to lower the price to at least 399$ to compete with
As far as I know, Likebook has buggy software too. I hope, regarding this device, it would be more responsive because it is managed by Linux and Android is not better option for eink machines.

Enviado desde mi Redmi 3S mediante Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #8
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Android is not better option for eink machines.

It depends. Android has the advantage of installing APK application, both for reading and for notes etc where we are not limited to the SW manufacturer and its possible Bugs.

Using Android on E Ink has its advantages and disadvantages, but as an eNote user with Android OS, I do not see the problem and I do not have a problem with Android on eNote.
(In addition, usually on normal Notes under the operating system Android have enough HW)

PS: For example, if Likebook or Onyx BOOX were installed on Linux only and I would be limited to the manufacturer's applications, I would really hesitate to buy.

- I speak only for myself, but my personal preference is:

[For eReader I prefer: Linux]

- For e-book readers I prefer only basic SW, preferably on the Linux operating system. Since eReader reads only books primary, I don't need any extra SW.

[For eNote I prefer: Android]

-In the electronic note, I prefer the type of Android operating system mainly because of the possibility of installing third-party software (APK). Although the integrated SW may be sufficient, it can quickly introduce some shortcomings and may be limited by the manufacturer's development, as its possible minor errors may not always be pleasant

- I don't know how the developer and SDK are, but I think the Android development environment is more accessible and complete, but as I write, I'm not a software developer for eInk devices, just guess

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 10-13-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
viceant
Addict

Quote:
It depends. Android has the advantage of installing APK application, both for reading and for notes etc where we are not limited to the SW manufacturer and its possible Bugs.

- I speak only for myself, but my personal preference is:

[For eReader I prefer: Linux]

- For e-book readers I prefer only basic SW, preferably on the Linux operating system. Since eReader reads only books primary, I don't need any extra SW.

[For eNote I prefer: Android]

-In the electronic note, I prefer the type of Android operating system mainly because of the possibility of installing third-party software (APK). Although the integrated SW may be sufficient, it can quickly introduce some shortcomings and may be limited by the manufacturer's development, as its possible minor errors may not always be pleasant

- I don't know how the developer and SDK are, but I think the Android development environment is more accessible and complete, but as I write, I'm not a software developer for eInk devices, just guess
Ok, it's an interesting point of view. I said what I said because I am astonished what Remarkable people have achieved with such limited hardware.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Quote:
Exactly. It's too expensive for what it offers. But it can be interesting if they sell it at a lower price. 100$ more than the Inkpad 3 would probably be OK. I don't know if their production costs are really higher for such a unit, given that the difference is mostly the bigger screen.

Regarding the custom linux based firware vs Android debate, do Boox/Boyue ereaders feel slower than an Inkpad? (Inkpads feels slower than Kindles from my experience, but it's not a big deal for the use case).
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Check it out in action.

Last edited by Gibbo; 10-26-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
Exactly. It's too expensive for what it offers. But it can be interesting if they sell it at a lower price. 100$ more than the Inkpad 3 would probably be OK. I don't know if their production costs are really higher for such a unit, given that the difference is mostly the bigger screen.

Regarding the custom linux based firware vs Android debate, do Boox/Boyue ereaders feel slower than an Inkpad? (Inkpads feels slower than Kindles from my experience, but it's not a big deal for the use case).
The bigger screen is a Mobius and this is considerably more expensive than the screen on the Inkpad 3.

BTW, I've seen it for 379€ already.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #13
viceant
Addict

There is a review: https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...nkpad-x-review

It seems this device is too much slow. I thought Linux would make it run faster.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #14
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
There are more detailed specs on 4pda.ru. From the looks of it, it's just larger display, and otherwise the exact same soc as InkPad 3 - http://www.allwinnertech.com/index.p...&a=index&id=59

This is not really good news performance wise, especially compared to monstrous android octacores for the same price tag. The only thing going for this soc is low power usage. Further, the larger screen you have, the more pixels you have to render from a vector. That's CPU intensive but also more bits to serially shuffle on the EPDC SPI. All said, it will be comparatively (~1.5x or worse) slower than the already slow InkPad 3.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #15
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The screen is larger but resolution is the same: 10.3" E Ink®Carta™ 1872×1404 vs 7.8" E Ink®Carta™ 1872×1404. I.e. number of pixels is the same, thus performance is expected to be the same, right?

Last edited by pkbo; 12-09-2019 at 01:10 AM.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote