Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
shater
shater began at the beginning.

Device: sone prs-600
hi.guys..i tried to convert word document..

i tried to convert arabic word document to EPUB format using calibre ,,but in the result it showed like this ???????? ?????? ?????? instead of arabic letters..what is the salution????
shater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, shater.

I don't know the answer to your questions, but someone will long on soon to help.

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I suspect that your particular problem is a character encoding issue or possibly not having the required font available in your reader. Do you know if your reader has an Arabic font installed? If not you might want to look for some of the threads that discuss embedding fonts in the EPUB file itself.

If you have a Word document you normally seem to get best results if you first convert it to HTML by using the option in Word to save it as "Web Page (filtered). You can then add the resulting HTML to Calibre and tell it to convert that instead.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't know if this will help, but in the conversion options, Calibre has an option to convert Unicode to ASCII (it's found in the layout tab). This basically translates the non-latin characters to their latin transcriptions. What I don't know is if this will be readable to you, so you'd have to try it.
Of course, finding a font that supplies the missing characters would be your best choice, I think.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
shater
shater began at the beginning.

Device: sone prs-600
i tried but it didn't work..
can you just tell me how to embed font file in ebpub????
thank you
shater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
kichigai
kichigai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I don't believe you CAN embed a font into an ePub file. And since we're talking about Arabic here, that would only solve half the problem. We'd have to worry about character encoding and signaling to display text in a right-to-left mode. I don't even know if these features exist in the PRS-600. You'd have to consult their hardware section of the forum.
kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Sorry, does calibre convert .doc?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by shater View Post
i tried to convert arabic word document to EPUB format using calibre ,,but in the result it showed like this ???????? ?????? ?????? instead of arabic letters..what is the salution????
You might try using Open Office writer to convert (Simply do a ,'Save As') that .doc file to Open Office HTML and then throw that puppy at Calibre and see what you get out
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
youssef
youssef began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
I read arabic by converting any document to pdf using pdf995 printer, now the problem is my ereader device doesn't have reflow, so to avoid horizontal/vertical scrolling I use soPdf which basically cut the page in half, so say you have 20 lines in one page, it will make it 10 and doubles the total number of pages in the pdf to acheive this,
so cutting the number of lines in half and viewing the pdf in landscape mode saves me from scrolling
youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
lorenzov
lorenzov began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS600, Apple iPhone 3G
hi Shater,
it is most likely caused by the character encoding of the input/output. check your preferences; if needed force it to 'utf-8'. this might solve the problem

lorenzo
lorenzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
What I do when I want to read a file in Greek on my reader is make the margins smaller, enlarge the font to 22 and convert it to pdf format using the free program PDFcreator. The resulting file shows up fine on my PRS-505. I think that the same process would work for arabic text. You might have to play with the margins or font size until you find a layout that works for you.

Best of luck!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
youssef
youssef began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
I tried to find epub arabic files on the web but there are none,
I created the attached file, it shows up fine when you use http://bookworm.oreilly.com/library/ to view it, didn't try it on my jetbook reader yet but I expect it to fail since jetbook doesn't support epub with embedded fonts, give it a try on your viewer.
Attached Files
File Type: epub arabic.epub (35.9 KB, 300 views)
youssef is offline   Reply With Quote