Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Hi new to site and PRS505 what do I do first?

Ok started having a look around the site and looks to be a great community decided to order a 505 from BH as I live in the UK and that seems to be the best option.

I'm going to start reading everything on the site... but a few pointers would be great.

Where do I get Ebooks for my sony from?

How do I convert the books I have? currently in .Lit and PDF. anywhere I can test my conversions before I get the 505?

I only own mac's so what impact will that have?

any tips?

oh and I wont be able to properly play with it till Dec 25th!!! its a christmas present from my wife

Thanks all

Stu
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
any tips?

oh and I wont be able to properly play with it till Dec 25th!!! its a christmas present from my wife
Oh the old "don't you just love your new Sony Reader dear?" trick.

Anyway... I would say rather than reading all the back messages you might want to start on the Wiki. The info there is more in narative form than thread form.

That said, you should probably look at all the sticky threads here.

Also, don't expect PDF's formated for 8.5x11 paper to be anywhere near readable on your Sony!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

ha yeh thats right.
The Wiki was great thanks.

Another question that isnt on there is what is the best case available and anyone know somewhere that sells it to the UK?

oh and is BBeB exactly the same as lrf then?

so if I get something that is converted to LRF that will work on my sony?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
LRF is the file extension for unprotected BBeB files, LRX is for protected ones.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard

Aha excellent thanks didnt get that from the Wiki. and how come the format support list on there doesnt show LRF for the sony?
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Aha excellent thanks didnt get that from the Wiki. and how come the format support list on there doesnt show LRF for the sony?
The name of the format is "BBeB" the file extenstions for the format are .lrf and .lrx... so the name is listed.

Just like the name of the format is Excel Spread Sheet but the file extentions are xls, xl5, xlr... etc.

Where as, RTF (Rich Text Format) name and the file extension of .rtf just happen to be the same.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Actually that LRF is a Sony format is in the wiki. How did you search for it? There are many articles in the wiki and perhaps some need to be fixed. Let me know and I will correct it, or you can do it yourself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually that LRF is a Sony format is in the wiki. How did you search for it? There are many articles in the wiki and perhaps some need to be fixed. Let me know and I will correct it, or you can do it yourself.

Dale
It just wasnt clear to me! Im pretty up on comp stuff so think it would be worth maybe changing the table to read just so its real obvious.

BBeB(.LRF)
etc for file types to show the extension.

Ive never edited a Wiki before but may have a go
Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
It just wasnt clear to me! Im pretty up on comp stuff so think it would be worth maybe changing the table to read just so its real obvious.

BBeB(.LRF)
etc for file types to show the extension.

Ive never edited a Wiki before but may have a go
I am not sure which page you are talking about but I put a link in one of the Sony pages like this [[BBeB]] to point to the LRF, LRX, LRS page. Maybe this is enough.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote