Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2007, 03:54 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
I quite fancy a Sony Reader, but as I'm in the UK I can't buy one without ( I believe) breaking the EULA, voiding the warranty, and jumping thorough all kinds of hoops to get onto the Sony Connect store.
You've slightly lost me. In what way does buying a Reader in the UK break the EULA? (I live in the UK and have a Reader)

Quote:
AFAIK, Sony don't specifically advise you not to plug in their 110v charger into a 240v socket, but can you imagine their response if you tried to make a warranty claim for doing so, from a country where they don't distribute?
The Reader has a switched-mode power supply which will happily work on any voltage from 100-250v. I honestly can't recall buying any portable device for years which has had an old-fashioned fixed-voltage power supply; can you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:14 AM   #32
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You've slightly lost me. In what way does buying a Reader in the UK break the EULA? (I live in the UK and have a Reader)
Sorry, poorly worded on my part; I was referring to content from the Connect store, rather than the Reader itself; I'd mentally made that leap, but it didn't come across in the writing; I blame the beer, myself...

As I said, I don't have a Reader or access to Connect so haven't had the opportunity to study the EULA, which I presumed to be country or region-specific. If not, then fair enough, my mistake...

Quote:
The Reader has a switched-mode power supply which will happily work on any voltage from 100-250v. I honestly can't recall buying any portable device for years which has had an old-fashioned fixed-voltage power supply; can you?
Yes, you're right; most mains adapters are now multi-voltage, so perhaps a bad choice of example - but I'm sure you understand the point I'm making with this Harry.

Apple at least gave fair warning that hacked iPhones may be damaged by the update, yet people still went ahead anyway.

And just out of interest, who's to say the next Sony software update won't brick the hacked Readers out there? The more I look at large companies (especially with closed systems) the less I find myself thinking "why would they do that?" - and more 'why wouldn't they do that?"
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
And just out of interest, who's to say the next Sony software update won't brick the hacked Readers out there?
We actually did have some hacks locked out in the first update back in February, but this most recent one hasn't bothered them at all. Not conclusive, of course, but a good sign.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And just out of interest, who's to say the next Sony software update won't brick the hacked Readers out there? The more I look at large companies (especially with closed systems) the less I find myself thinking "why would they do that?" - and more 'why wouldn't they do that?"
Sony would not purposely brick hacked readers. The worst case would be that the hacks would be lost and you'd get the defaults based on that version of the update. Then you can either put the hacks back like happened with the current update or you can wait till someone fixes the hacks to work with the new update if need be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Definitely a PR mess, but I think the legality is unknown. It will be interesting to see if anyone actually goes to the courts about the contract locking issue. It's a lot of effort, when the affected parties would probably be better off selling their iPhones and switching to a Neo1973.

I can't imagine buying a device this capable that I couldn't load 3rd party applications onto. If I had been crazy enough to do so and then had used hacks to add software on anyway, I wouldn't use an update until I knew additional hacks would let me keep using my 3rd party apps.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #36
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony would not purposely brick hacked readers.
Who says Apple have 'purposely bricked the iPhones'?

Sorry but Apple don't have responsibility for the consequences of unauthorised mods.

And how much sympathy would you get from Sony if you carried out an unauthorised mod that resulted in bricking the machine either immediately or when you installed an update?
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apple's idea is to keep thier stuff way too restricted. Apple has screwed over the iPod classic models good. They not force you to use iTunes instead of any thrid part program for getting your content to and from the ipod. So any platform that doesn't have a version of iTunes is well and truly screwed. That is a great way to sell stuff. Apple is all about screwing the user.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #38
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Hah. In something slightly unrelated, it sounds like Apple and AT&T might be good bedfellows.

AT&T threatens to disconnect subscribers who criticize the company.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #39
bigumpah
bigumpah began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 5V, Irex Iliad
Quote:
Apple's idea is to keep thier stuff way too restricted. Apple has screwed over the iPod classic models good. They not force you to use iTunes instead of any thrid part program for getting your content to and from the ipod. So any platform that doesn't have a version of iTunes is well and truly screwed. That is a great way to sell stuff. Apple is all about screwing the user.
Actually, I use a free program called Media Monkey to sync my music instead of Itunes. I haven't checked, but I'm sure there must be other progs to use.

Ephpod is supposedly a robust application synicng with an iPod.
Hymn for removing the DRM from purchased songs purchased (Not meant for stealing but for being able to port songs to mp3 format).

There must be even more options than just using Itunes, if you really felt like it. It just really gets my goat that I can't readily share the music that my wife bought on her Mac from Itunes.

Vincent
bigumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
A rather extreme view, Jon. Windows and the Mac together cover - what? - 99.5% of PC users, I'd guess? That seems like reasonable market coverage to me. How many people don't have access to a machine running either Windows or OSX?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, it's what Apple is doing now with their non desktop/laptop devices. They are trying to keep them so closed up as to prevent third parties from developing software to work with them. It's not a good idea.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That kind of attitude is what put Apple so far behind starting in the late 80's -- when everybody and their dog was cloning PC's, Apple was suing Lazer Computing (I think that's the right name), the only company ever to clone the Apple ][, out of existence for its temerity in said cloning.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm just amazed Apple has survived for so long.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #44
NatCh
Gizmologist

The wouldn't have if M$ hadn't bought a large chunk of them just to keep their "biggest competitor" in business so they'd have fewer monopoly suits to defend.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #45
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I knew that somehow, somewhere it was Microsoft's fault ;-)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote