Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #6286
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
More...

(Why Did I Tell You I Was Going To) Shanghai - Doris Day
San Francisco (be sure to wear flower in your hair) - Scott McKenzie
Save me, San Francisco - Train
Night in Paris - Kanye West & Jay-Z
Angel of Harlem - U2
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #6287
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
And Orlok hasn't even clocked in yet, but he might well get shut out by Anh with her Hotel California!
I've been so pipped at the post I don't stand a chance of catching up now.

Quote:
And we need a ruling on Issybird's "Turkey in the Straw." I think that if we can allow Orlok's "Eve of Distruction" we should permit "Turkey in the Straw" however bad the pun...
I think you have to allow it. Half the fun is in the pun .

I'll add a few (apologies if there are any repeats, I'm a bit frazzled this morning having forgotten to reset the clocks last night, and then clearing up pee and poo from the hall rug thanks to one of our darling cats, and then having to wash the foot of one of our daughters who stood in the poo...)

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon (just seen Hamlet got this one)
London Calling - The Clash
Breakfast In America - Supertramp
All American Alien Boy - Ian Hunter
Irish Blood, English Heart - Morrissey
My England - Lady Sovereign
Mother Russia - The Sisters Of Mercy
New York New York - Sinatra (do I get double points for that one...? I've just seen issybird has already done it, so I'm happy with only one point )
Haiti - The Arcade Fire
Girl from Mars - Ash (does that count ? If it does I've got a hundred with "Sun" in the title )
Across The Universe - The Beatles (. Better stop that now...)
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - The Beatles
Massachusetts - The Bee Gees
Machu Picchu - The Strokes
Outside Tokyo - The Stranglers
Manhattan - Kings Of Leon
The North Pole - The Walkmen
Night Boat To Cairo - Madness
Galapogos - Smashing Pumpkins
The Girl From Ipanema - Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto

Last edited by orlok; 03-25-2012 at 09:00 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #6288
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Surfin' USA
Anchored down in Anchorage
Jerusalem
O Little Town of Bethlehem

I think the Ozzies have an unfair advantage. They can claim things like Flapdoodle at Killbingtrinkbong and who's to know? But I trust them.

Quote:
And no one has even mentioned the wonderful oldie by Les Paul and Mary Ford! Or the song recorded in 1954 by Kaye Ballard, or the 1958 pop song by English singer Laurie London. Come on, folks. I'm waiting....
Stitchawl
Just how ancient do you think some of us are?

But, just for Stitchy, that immortal tune by Hoagy Carmichael:

I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Doin' Those Beat-o, Beat-o Flat-On-My-Seat-o, Hirohito Blues, the Guinness Record Holder for longest song title.*

*OK, I admit it. I couldn't remember it exactly, so I looked it up.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #6289
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OOhh, you've just reminded me:

Honolulu Baby - Laurel & Hardy
Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #6290
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I am in the Centre of the Sun - Conjure 1
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #6291
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Looks as if Issybird's 52 entries leads the pack...
Some good calls from Hamlet, and Orlok did squeeze in a few more, especially good call with 'The Girl from Ipanema,' but Issybird took the lead.

Quote:
And no one has even mentioned the wonderful oldie by Les Paul and Mary Ford! Or the song recorded in 1954 by Kaye Ballard, or the 1958 pop song by English singer Laurie London. Come on, folks. I'm waiting....
Stitchawl
... which were "Sittin' on top of the World"
"Fly me to the Moon"
"He's Got the Whole World in His Hands"

With just one or two exceptions, everyone stayed on the planet. I'm surprised. OH well... Some really good memories from everyone! I've got fodder for my guitar to take me into the next month!

Issybird, a question please!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #6292
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Oddly (or not) I had been thinking along the lines of a geography quiz before Stitchy posted his challenge. So let's try this: works of fiction set in different countries, but only ONE work per country. So once a country is taken, it's no longer in play.

Looking forward to padding my reading list....
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #6293
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Private Dancer" - Thailand - Stephen Leather
"Shogun" - Japan - James Clavell
"Taipan" - Hong Kong - James Clavell
"Hawaii" - ? - Mitchner
"Chesapeake" - US - Mitchner
"Sherlock Holmes" - England - Connan Doyle
"A Tale of Two Cities" - France - Dickens
"Mexico City Blues" - Mexico - Jack Kerouac
"The Favorite Games" - Canada - Leonard Cohen

"Frankenstein" - Germany - Mary Shelly
"The Russia House" - Russia - John LeCarre
"Trinity" - Ireland - Leon Uris
"The Eiger Sanction" - Switzerland - Trevanian
"Sophie's World" - Norway - Jostein Gaarder
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - Sweden - Stieg Larsson
"A Death in Vienna" - Austria - Daniel Silva.
"King Rat" - Singapore - James Clavell
"Burmese Days - Burma - George Orwell.
"The Quiet American - Vietnam - Graham Greene

(I seem to remember reading a good book about a young girl growing up on a farm in New Zealand, but I can't remember the title or the author... )

I think I'm done!

Nope! While I was out I remembered some more;

"Papillon" - French Guiana and British Guiana - Henri ?
"Atlantis Found" - Antarctica -Clive Cussler
"DaVinci Code" - Vatican City - Dan Brown
"A High Wind in Jamaica" - Jamaica - Richard Hughes
"Captain Blood" - Barbados - Rafael Sabatini
"The Firm" - Cayman Islands - John Grisham
"Exodus" - Israel - Leon Uris
"The Key to Rebecca" - Egypt - Ken Follett.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 03-26-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #6294
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
"Sentence of Marriage" - New Zealand

"House of Spirits" - Chile
"Our Man in Havana" - Cuba
"Miss Smilla's Sense of Snow" - Denmark (including Greenland)
"A Passage to India" - India
"Death in Venice" - Italy
"Like Water for Chocolate" - Mexico

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 03-25-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #6295
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Iberia" - Michener - Spain (I couldn't get into it)
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #6296
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
"Eucalyptus" - Australia - Murray Bail (highly recommended)
"The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" and sequels - Botswana - Alexander McCall Smith
"44 Scotland Street" and sequels - Scotland - Alexander McCall Smith
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #6297
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
"Sentence of Marriage" - New Zealand
THAT'S the one!!

Stitchawl
Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #6298
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Okay, I have been checking my bookshelves:

People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks - Bosnia
The Magus - John Fowles - Greece
The Tailor of Panama - John le Carre - Panama (fancy that!)
The Alexandria Quartet - Lawrence Durrell - Egypt
The Mountain is Young - Han Suyin - Nepal
The Four Faces - Han Suyin - Cambodia
... and the Rain my Drink - Han Suyin - Malaya (as it then was)
Count Belisarius - Robert Graves - modern Turkey (ie Constantinople in the 6th century)
King Jesus - Robert Graves - Palestine
The Isles of Unwisdom - Robert Graves - the Philippines
The Persian Boy - Mary Renault - Persia at the time of Alexander the Great
A Story Like the Wind - Laurens van der Post - South Africa

Last edited by Bookpossum; 03-26-2012 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Deleted White Mischief as it is non-fiction.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #6299
orlok
Close to the Edit!

As usual, I'm too late to the party, and Stitchawl has clearly got this one, er...stitched up, so I'll just add one:

Sheepshagger - Niall Griffiths - Wales

(off for a day's shopping, so see y'all later )
Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #6300
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
As usual, I'm too late to the party, and Stitchawl has clearly got this one, er...stitched up, so I'll just add one:

Sheepshagger - Niall Griffiths - Wales

(off for a day's shopping, so see y'all later )
There really is a book called that?
I thought that kind of talk was just between Ozzies and Kiwis!