Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 05:20 AM   #31
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Reading comics on WordsGear.

Commercial

The tagline is "The right hand is free now!" (yes, they actually say that)

A service you can use to buy it (should be cheaper than Dynamism):
http://www.dankedanke.com/en/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:05 AM   #32
raptor_tk
raptor_tk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie
Credit Card and Webmoney payment methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post

Casty: You cannot buy the PDF connector in the stores, it must be purchased online via the Saidoku Online Store You can either pay via CC, webmoney (pick these cards up at local quick stop), or a few other options I'm unfamiliar with.
Hi Azayzel, I am interested in getting this device to purchase and read Japanese light novels and manga that is sold on the Saidoku online shop (saving me postage on book purchases) and was wondering how you paid for the PDF connector. Was it using a credit card or did you pick up a webmoney card?

I know that some Japanese online shops only accept credit cards issued in Japan, so I want to confirm with you if were able to buy that PDF connector using a non Japanese credit card, or if your only option was to use a web money card.

I will be going to Japan shortly, so it would be nice to know if I can use my credit card to buy books of the online shop outside Japan or if I will need to stock up on webmoney cards so I can buy my books.

Thank you.
raptor_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #33
jack staff
jack staff began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen 1
mm...

mmm...this time I have been reading about eords gear everywhere, but it seems to me that maybe it is too small to read american comics on it...I am really interested but it is an important amount of money and I would need more information about the screen...it seems too small, and I really would like you to show us, if possible, images comparing a real page of an american comic-book and the words gear screen...or maybe an example of the globes inside the page...I am getting older and small letters are not comfortable at all...

So...could you show me how american comics are displayed in landscape?readable?
jack staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #34
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
I have managed to get video and audio on Gear.

For video you need to download from their site http://www.saidoku.com Panasonic video converter, then put into it some small asf file (made for example with Apex WMV ASF Converter) and transfer this file to Gear using Panasonic converter. During the transfer needed directories will be created on SD card and after that you will be able to put asf video files directly to SD card.

For audio you will need to have MOOCS player installed. I have found link to it on one Russian forum: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ryd9jr

Of course before installing those programs you will need to switch your computer to Japanese language.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #35
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack staff View Post
mmm...this time I have been reading about eords gear everywhere, but it seems to me that maybe it is too small to read american comics on it...I am really interested but it is an important amount of money and I would need more information about the screen...it seems too small, and I really would like you to show us, if possible, images comparing a real page of an american comic-book and the words gear screen...or maybe an example of the globes inside the page...I am getting older and small letters are not comfortable at all...

So...could you show me how american comics are displayed in landscape?readable?
Sorry I haven't responded to your previous comments Jack Staff. The WG does American comics pretty good, but I found it best in landscape mode. I know, I groaned a little myself when I found the text bubbles just a little to small to read in portrait mode. Changing pages is actually quite quick, it's the scrolling on a single page that takes a few seconds. It's not a long wait, just an annoyance that it only shifts a little of the page at a time instead of gaging how much of the page is currently shown and scrolling from the bottom of that position. Other than that, they look pretty nice. It doesn't do CBR/CBZ, but it displays PDF's just fine so you can run your comic archive through JComics and have them all stitched together into a small PDF. I'll try and make a video over the next few days to demo viewing an American comic and you'll be able to see how it scrolls.

I"ve actually got my fingers crossed for the Fujitsu FLEPia when it comes out, so if you can wait it might be a better fit for large-size PDF's; i.e., comics and others. Just a matter of time now!

raptor_tk (not in the 501st, are ya? ) I think they may take CC through their website as well. Stasys can probably confirm this better than I, since he recently picked up the PDF-connector. I used web money, but it was easy to get since I live in Japan. Hope you have a fun trip!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #36
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

raptor_tk, they are taking cards, even issued in Lithuania. And now amazon.jp has 11% discount on Gears, but they only ship to Japan, so you need to have some friends there.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:41 AM   #37
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
Hey thanks for the heads up..awesome reader.

But curiosity undermines me again..why is this ebook reader in colour? Is this e-ink technology? Looks like constantly reading this will strain your eyes?
And i couldn't help but watch that video preview and notice that refresh rate is INCREDIBLY slow (2 sec or something)..

Apart from that it would be awesome reading manga/comics :P
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #38
stasys
Zealot

No, it is not e-inc - it's LCD. As for the eyes strain - I was reading LCD (from Reb 1100) for about three years. Before I was reading paper books and I'm wearing glasses because of that. So at least for me reading from LCD made no additional troubles.

Refresh rate for pdf text is quick, same or as it is on reb1100. For comic books I do not know - not reading that.

I'd say this device is the best one for reading with backlight screen. I also have Sony prs505 and sometime I'm searching for better light to read from it.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #39
stasys
Zealot

I have translated Bookshelf interface to English. You just need to overwrite native sigmabookshelf.exe file with mine file that you can get from here http://rapidshare.com/files/81267661...shelf.zip.html

Here is the interface screenshot:

No, I do not know Japanese at all - used internet translation. But anyway, that makes this device usable outside Japan.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #40
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Where can I buy one of these?
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #41
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't know where you are, but in the US you can special order it from:

www.dynamism.com
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #42
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dynamism sells them; you can also use one of the proxy services like DankeDanke which is usually cheaper.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #43
stasys
Zealot

The cheapest way would be Japanese Amazon: http://www.amazon.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_e?_...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
and DankeDanke:
http://www.dankedanke.com/en/how_to_order.html

Amazon ships Gear with cover. Dynamism wants additional bucks for cover.

Last edited by stasys; 01-18-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #44
igorsk
Wizard

It's currently out of stock at Amazon. I ordered mine directly from Words Gear shop.
http://www2.enekoshop.jp/shop/wordsgear/
Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #45
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It's currently out of stock at Amazon. I ordered mine directly from Words Gear shop.
http://www2.enekoshop.jp/shop/wordsgear/
Did you just order it? I'm very curious about it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote