Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 AM   #31
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
of course, if the materials would otherwise be printed on paper, i suppose they couldn't have the attendees in the dark then either.
Many thanks for the kind words -- I'm starting to really see the benefit of maquettes as I'm getting some furniture designed.

On the light issue, I've seen an ever increasing number of people use laptops in conferences. In part this is because their backlit LCDs work well conference venues even if they are dimly lit, and in part because it allows notes to be taken that are directly accessible on a computer. It would be incredible to have an e-ink device distributed that you could scribble all over, and that (probably when connected to a PC) took the scribbles and converted them to searchable text automatically linked to the relevant paper...

Laptops in a dimly lit conference venue is weird: all those faces lit in a ghostly fashion. And it adds another set of strange distracting noises if the speaker on the laptop isn't turned off. If it isn't a very modern venue it creates a nightmare for the organisers to arrange powerpoints (too many laptops still don't survive a day of use), and the trip hazard is frightening.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #32
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Laptops in a dimly lit conference venue is weird: all those faces lit in a ghostly fashion. And it adds another set of strange distracting noises if the speaker on the laptop isn't turned off. If it isn't a very modern venue it creates a nightmare for the organisers to arrange powerpoints (too many laptops still don't survive a day of use), and the trip hazard is frightening.
I just returned from just such a conference: Presentations in dimly-lit rooms while participants took notes (on laptops or supplied half-size spiral books). As most people were looking at the displayed presentation, the number of active laptops at any time was small, and most people took written notes. If you get an e-ink device, as with paper notes, make sure you find a good balance of lighting so people can actually see the screen, and/or their notes.

Or... get a device that can include an optional booklight-type device.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #33
saarkagan
saarkagan began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi,

Has anyone heard of a device called the NUUT by Neolux?

Here is a link to the product page: http://nuutbook.com/

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this device.

Thanks,

Saar...
saarkagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #34
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarkagan View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this device.

Thanks,

Saar...
I can't read Korean, but that looks suspiciously like a CyBook.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarkagan View Post
Hi,

It is exactly the same hardware as the Cybook. The only difference is the NUUT doesn't support any good formats. Here is our Wiki page:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/NUUT
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote