Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Sony Reader would be the only option for that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack View Post
What’s the best stand alone reader for non-PDF e-books that I might actual find in a brick and mortar store in Philadelphia?
The Sony reader is the only one you will find in a US store. Places like Borders, Sony Style, Costco, Circuit City (you might have to order on line for instore pickup - not sure they stock them.)

However, none of the formats you listed would work. You would need to convert as much as you can to a supported format... calibre will convert mobi to BBeB (LRF), it natively reads txt, rtf, html, for eReader you would need to convert... not sure what's readily available for that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Reader does support RTF natively, but you don't get pictures, hyperlinks, etc, that way.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack View Post
What’s the best stand alone reader for non-PDF e-books that I might actual find in a brick and mortar store in Philadelphia?
I think your only option is the Sony PRS-505. The good part about this is that the PRS-505 is supposed to get a software upgrade that includes Adobe Digital Editions, and this will most likely allow it to read your existing Adobe e-books (but don't hold your breath, there is no delivery date for this software and it may be months away). The bad part is that you will have to convert almost all ebooks before reading them on the Sony. The calibre package will do this for you (it has its own Forum here). The MobiPocket format is not a bad choice, but the best option if your primary device does not support MOBI is the MS Reader format (LIT). This is easily crackable, and Calibre has a lit2lrf option.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #20
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast
Brazos_Jack began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
The Sony (home of proprietary everything) sounds like a real pain. I think I'll just have to wait until December when I can order something. Maybe the 9.7" Mentor will be out. If not, maybe I'll go for the iLiad reader. Even the Cybook 3 sounds better than the Sony.
Brazos_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What do you mean "even the Cybook 3"? The Cybook is an excellent device.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #22
Crisby
Fanatic
Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I agree with HarryT. For reading novels and newspapers the Cybook Gen3 is a brilliant device. If you're willing to deal direct with the supplier, the HanLin V3 is also very good.

You can read PDFs on a Cybook and HanLin V3, although the iLiad would probably be better for your PDF tech documents.

You can easily convert your Word DOCs to PRC using Mobipocket Creator, or you can print them to PDF or WOL. (HanLins will support PRC soon.)

I have no interest at all in Sony or Kindle.
Crisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #23
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast

Didn't mean to sound negative about Cybook 3. I will definitely get "something" in December. If the 9.7" Mentor is out and is everything I hope it will be - then that will be it. If enough is known about the 9.7" Mentor by December for me to know that it is not what I want - then I'll get the iLiad. But if it is clear that the 9.7" Mentor will be what I eventually get - but it is still not availble in December - Then I will likely get a Cybook as an interim "fix" and continue to use it even after I get a Mentor when I don't need to deal with non-reflowable PDFs. I just wish it could read RTF's.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #24
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast

Well, I ordered a Cybook Gen 3 from BooksOnBoard in Austin Texas last night as an intermediate fix until the 9.7" machines come out.

I'll pick it up in the states on a short trip there next week. I'm already loading an SD card with books, music, and pictures to use as soon as I pick up the Cybook.

I'll be watching this forum to see if the 9.7" Mentor turns out to be as good as it looks like it will and if it gets released in time for me to buy one while I'm in Texas for my vacation in December.