Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
sash
sash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipsesash can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo Rtf and txt file display issues

Hi, I'm using kobo glo with a powerpc mac (firmware 2.3.1). Basically when you open an rtf or txt file on the machine, no text is displayed. Then when you go into the fonts setting, if you switch to a different font, and then back to the first one displayed, the text shows up. E.g. initially georgia doesn't work, then after a switch it does. Is this a kobo bug?

Or is some kind of special version of these files needed? Its really very annoying that such basic formats dont work. I currently save them in word and other text programs. I also tried converting them in calibre (without changing the file format) but this doesnt affect the issue Is there any way around this? A better software to save the files?

And as a second part, is there any alternative to calibre for powerpc users apart from Adobe Digital Editions? I cant of course run Kobo desktop on my machine!!!

Many thanks
sash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sash View Post
Hi, I'm using kobo glo with a powerpc mac (firmware 2.3.1). Basically when you open an rtf or txt file on the machine, no text is displayed. Then when you go into the fonts setting, if you switch to a different font, and then back to the first one displayed, the text shows up. E.g. initially georgia doesn't work, then after a switch it does. Is this a kobo bug?

Or is some kind of special version of these files needed? Its really very annoying that such basic formats dont work. I currently save them in word and other text programs. I also tried converting them in calibre (without changing the file format) but this doesnt affect the issue Is there any way around this? A better software to save the files?

And as a second part, is there any alternative to calibre for powerpc users apart from Adobe Digital Editions? I cant of course run Kobo desktop on my machine!!!

Many thanks
Sounds like another bug for Kobo. The easiest workaround is to change the format to epub which is quick and easy using calibre.

Yes, such basic formats should work if they claim they do but we all have to live with what we have and we all have a device that displays epubs pretty well -- go with that and your life will be easier.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, display, kobo glo, rtf, txt