Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Invitation for Beta testers

Hi everyone,

I am looking for people on this forum who would be willing to help us test the beta builds for upcoming Vox updates. If you're able to help then you can send me a PM with your Google Account information and I'll add you to our list.

The more eyes we have on the product, and the more feedback we receive, the better each release is going to be for everyone

Feel free to add comments or questions about this program in the thread.

Thanks for your help!

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Okay...so my first question is: any incentives for Beta Testers? Most importantly, if a beta build bricks my Vox, will you express ship me a new one?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Same question as above. And if it matters if the vox is rooted?
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Odieman
Enthusiast
Odieman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Same as the two above
Odieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
The same two questions
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
If a beta build damages your Vox we will ensure you are helped. We are asking for your help, so we wouldn't leave you high and dry.

As for incentive...as with the other beta programs being run with volunteers here at MR, the incentive is to help us improve your favourite eReader and get your feedback favourably prioritized in our dev list

As for rooting, as long as we know what you've done to your Vox I think it's OK. We need to understand the conditions under which people are encountering issues.

James

Last edited by KoboJW; 11-25-2011 at 05:21 PM.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want to send me a Vox, I will gladly help test new builds. I won't root and will use it as is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I can speak from Kobo Touch experience that the developers really do listen to the Beta Tester feedback. While your own preference may not prevail, group feedback can and will cause them to tweak or sometimes totally re-jig something to make it work better for the broader user community. They can't always make the changes we'd like and I occasionally curse their final decisions (my way was right darn you ) but they do take the general feedback as seriously as they take bug reports (for example they changed out 2 or 3 of the 5 extra fonts they added to the Touch based on tested feedback). Not to mention you get to have and try out new features sometimes a quite a while before they are released to the wild.
Having said all that, don't go into it if you demand that your VOX works perfectly all the time and/or you aren't willing to reset to a previous firmware if something isn't working for you and you won't wait for the next beta release. There usually aren't a lot of showstopper bugs by the time they release it for testing, but they can occur for some people and minor "quirks" can occur that you may have to live with until they release the next beta build.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Jesslynne
Zealot

I am considering it, and for sure for the reason to help and have the ability to see things ahead.

I just wanted to make sure that having a rooted device wouldn't affect being covered if anything went wrong, but what with uninstalling apps that I don't use.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Ditto. I like my devices to be stable, but I'm willing to go that route as well... especially since rooting will give me the ability to restore apps at will, should the firmware upgrade go horribly wrong.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want to send me a Vox, I will gladly help test new builds. I won't root and will use it as is.
Me too
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have been a beta tester for the eInk devices when we were working with the first device. I love beta testing, but there are some things folks should keep in mind:
  • You should be the kind of person who "works and plays well with others." If you impatient and have a short fuse, this may not be a good fit.
  • Do not expect to know deep dark secrets about what is being planned in the future. Kobo keeps information about the development road map private and as beta testers we generally don't know anything other than what is in front of us at the moment.
  • Be comfortable with silence. Kobo developers work hard, work long hours, and it sometimes seems that they never get a day off, but that does not mean that questions are always answered immediately or that you will get the answer you are looking for just because you asked it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
Jesslynne
Zealot

Yeah, didn't exactly expect a play by play what was going on in far future, but to see what's right in front come the releases that we beta. That's what I had meant.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
profbisson
profbisson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I'm interested but have a question - can I revert back to factory defaults if the beta does not work out? Or does that wipe the firmware?
profbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
Hey sounds like a lot of fun. I would get to get beta builds and see new features and comment on functionality of said features and submit bug reports. Count me in for this. I love testing new features and fixes. Right now my kobo vox is essentially unusable as a device. I would like to test beta versions of updates if only to comment on the issues i have. I had had issues with the kobo touch but they were fixed with updates and look forward to seeing the fixes for vox happen like they did for the touch. As in they release a product to the masses and fix any issues with updates. I rather get the device early than have to wait half a year while a small team of testers and developers beta test and refine it. Im all for the cutting edge and such
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote