Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #931
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Have you tried the email address in the Gutenberg file?

These are missing that particular volume:
http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011261032
http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011261033

This is not available:
http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100327200

This one at least looks like the same text:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...39015014614948

This has probably the same content too:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...33433107655205

Probably nothing you didn't know already.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #932
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Thank you very much, Jellby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Have you tried the email address in the Gutenberg file?
Not yet, I will try that if everything else fails.

Quote:
Indeed. The second link would have been right (only the 1908 collection has the Reviews volume), but unfortunately it’s one of the misnumbered lists.

Quote:
This is from the Second Collected Edition which only gives excerpts from the Reviews volume.

Quote:
Probably nothing you didn't know already.
Almost. Because this

Quote:
This one at least looks like the same text:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...39015014614948
could be it! I was worried about variants in the American collection, but I found out that the “Authorised Edition” used stereotyped plates of the Methuen edition. I’m still not sure, though: according to Mason, it should say “Reviews | By Oscar Wilde | [Volume I or II] | Authorised Edition | John W. Luce & Co. | Boston” on the title page and this one is a one-volume book by “The Wyman-Fogg Company | Boston Massachussetts”, which isn’t mentioned in Mason. But then, everything else (including the pagination) is identical, so it’s probably the right one.

Thanks again!
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #933
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
I did some more research and I’m quite sure now that the Wyman-Fogg text is identical to the Methuen edition: I have compared The Happy Prince, and Other Stories, and not only do the pages look the same, but the misprints are identical, too.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #934
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds interesting. I must admit that he's an author I hadn't previously heard of.
Thorne Smith wrote the two Topper novels on which the movies (starring Roland Young as Topper) were based. There was also a TV show based on the character I believe.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #935
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've started working on Burton's translation of "The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night". The PG version is not in very good state (lots of missing hyphens, split words and OCR errors), the ebooks@Adelaide one is supposed to be improved, but does not seem much better. At least the first volume is reasonably correct in Wikisource, so I'm using that as a starting point, and I'm applying all corrections there too.

If there's any volunteer for proofing the other volumes (the reference scans are listed in the "Discussion" page in Wikisource), that would be greatly appreciated
Advert
Old 12-31-2014, 02:58 AM   #936
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Jellby, I'll volunteer for a volume or two, if you don't expect terribly speedy results

It's only fair, after all the proof-reading you have done on books that I uploaded.

Let me know which volume you would like me to work on.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:01 AM   #937
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

It seems that every volume in Wikisource but the first is just a straight copy from PG. When I reach there I'll search the net to see if there are better versions around. For the time being, if you want to start somewhere, I'd say Volume 2, and concentrate on OCR mistakes ("cost" for "dost") and split words ("be fore" for "before"); apply any correction to the Wikisource text directly.

I should say that I am not reading the text at this point, just formatting it. (There's not much formatting, actually, but I'm adding some tags to keep track of the structure, curling the quotes and visually checking every page.)
Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 AM   #938
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I've started working on Burton's translation of "The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night". The PG version is not in very good state (lots of missing hyphens, split words and OCR errors), the ebooks@Adelaide one is supposed to be improved, but does not seem much better. At least the first volume is reasonably correct in Wikisource, so I'm using that as a starting point, and I'm applying all corrections there too.
There's also another website that has the Burton etexts: Wollamshram World.

IMHO, Burton's translation isn't that great; he basically took John Payne's translation and "sexed it up" a bit. He also added at least one story that isn't in the Arabic original. (For more information on Burton's translation, see this article.)

If you're interested in re-reading 1001 nights, I can fully recommend the contemporary translation by Malcolm C. Lyons. The slightly older English translation by Powys Mathers (1892–1939) is also not bad. Unfortunately, Mathers' translation doesn't seem to be available as an etext.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:31 AM   #939
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
There's also another website that has the Burton etexts: Wollamshram World.
Which shares many problems with the PG version, however. They look like the same text.

Quote:
IMHO, Burton's translation isn't that great
From what I've read, all translations have their flaws. I've chosen Burton's because it seems to be the most popular and easily accessible of the complete, unexpurgated, public-domain ones. I'm still early enough in the project to choose a different one if a better option is given.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #940
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm still early enough in the project to choose a different one if a better option is given.
Have a look at the article that I linked to. IMHO, Payne's translation is much more readable. Here's an excerpt from the (somewhat raunchy) story that the article refers to:

a) The Porter and the Three Ladies of Baghdad (Burton)

Quote:
So they said, "Thou must not remain with us this night save on condition that thou submit to our commands, and that whatso thou seest, thou ask no questions there anent, nor enquire of its cause." "All right," rejoined he, and they said, "Go read the writing over the door." So he rose and went to the entrance and there found written in letters of gold wash; Whoso speaketh of what concerneth him not, shall hear what pleaseth him not! The Porter said, Be ye witnesses against me that I will not speak on whatso concerneth me not."
b) The Porter And The Three Ladies Of Baghdad (Payne)

Quote:
So the mistress of the house said to the porter, 'Thou shalt pass the night with us on condition that thou submit to our authority and that, whatever thou seest, thou ask no questions about it nor enquire the reason of it.' 'It is well,' answered he; and they said, 'Go and read what is written over the door.' So he went to the door and found the following words written thereon in letters of gold, 'He who speaks of what concerns him not, shall hear what will not please him.' And he said, 'Be ye witness against me that I will not speak of what concerns me not.'
Old 12-31-2014, 08:18 AM   #941
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Have a look at the article that I linked to. IMHO, Payne's translation is much more readable.
I read the article. I must confess it was somewhat disappointing (not the article, but what it says), I had the impression the faithfulness of the translation was better that what the article implies. Nevertheless, I've learnt not to trust too much neither praise nor criticism.

Regarding Payne's translation, only 4 volumes seem to be available at PG, though, and with similar issues to Burton's. Do you know of any complete electronic version?
Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #942
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"The Pickwick Papers" by Charles Dickens

Just completed in time for the New Year a new version of "The Pickwick Papers" by Charles Dickens. Thoroughly proofed against the "Oxford Illustrated Dickens" edition; lots of errors fixed, and general formatting improvements made, such as replacing straight quotes with curly ones, and (where appropriate) using small caps (well, fake small caps, at least). Uploaded in the usual formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #943
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Regarding Payne's translation, only 4 volumes seem to be available at PG, though, and with similar issues to Burton's. Do you know of any complete electronic version?
AFAIK, pdfs of all nine volumes are available at archive.org and the etext of all 9 volumes is available at Wollamshram World.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #944
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I've just started work on The Middle Parts of Fortune by Frederic Manning. Are there any better sources than the Project Gutenberg Australia text file? Anyone know of a cover image?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #945
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
AFAIK, pdfs of all nine volumes are available at archive.org and the etext of all 9 volumes is available at Wollamshram World.
Thanks for pushing me. I'll probably format the first volume of both Burton and Payne, then I'll see.