Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
muraiken
muraiken began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Greyed out font in Kindle books

I recently purchased a Kindle Paperwhite. The 1st book I purchased had some chapters where the font was greyed out rather than black and makes it hard to read. The bold font is already maxed out so it's not that issue and when I called customer service, they couldn't tell me what was happening. Anyone have a clue?
muraiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think it's an error in the book. To resolve it, use Calibre to remove the DRM and then reload. If it still persists, convert to Epub, delete the mobi or azw file, then convert back to mobi or azw and reinstall on your device. Should work fine then.

I have only run into this with self-published books, but even then, not often because most people seem to follow the rules. Calibre does a lot to fix errors by removing stuff it doesn't expect should be there, apparently.

Note: if you complain with an email message, very often there will be a fix for the book within a short time.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The font may be set to some colour other than black, which is rendering as grey. The only way to be sure would be to look at the code.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The font may be set to some colour other than black, which is rendering as grey. The only way to be sure would be to look at the code.
this is probably the cause, yes
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Actually, I tell a lie: looking at the code isn't the only way to be sure . Look at the book in Kindle for PC, or the Kindle App on a phone or tablet, and see what colour the font is there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually, I tell a lie: looking at the code isn't the only way to be sure . Look at the book in Kindle for PC, or the Kindle App on a phone or tablet, and see what colour the font is there.
Or even read.amazon.com in your browser.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muraiken View Post
I recently purchased a Kindle Paperwhite. The 1st book I purchased had some chapters where the font was greyed out rather than black and makes it hard to read. The bold font is already maxed out so it's not that issue and when I called customer service, they couldn't tell me what was happening. Anyone have a clue?
Customer services seems to be useless in this case. There is nothing wrong. The code in the book is set to use some color other than black. And it is displaying as it should. It's the eBook, not the Kindle.

If the eBook has no DRM or you can remove the DRM and you have it in KF8 (AZW3) format, you can use the Calibre editor and remove the color code(s) from the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I think it's an error in the book. To resolve it, use Calibre to remove the DRM and then reload. If it still persists, convert to Epub, delete the mobi or azw file, then convert back to mobi or azw and reinstall on your device. Should work fine then.

I have only run into this with self-published books, but even then, not often because most people seem to follow the rules. Calibre does a lot to fix errors by removing stuff it doesn't expect should be there, apparently.

Note: if you complain with an email message, very often there will be a fix for the book within a short time.
It's not an error. I have seen eBooks with color codes. They aren't in error. So reporting this as an error is itself an error.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not an error. I have seen eBooks with color codes. They aren't in error. So reporting this as an error is itself an error.
If it makes it hard to read on an e-ink device and it is sold for use on an e-ink device, it is an error.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If it makes it hard to read on an e-ink device and it is sold for use on an e-ink device, it is an error.
It is not an error. What the OP may find hard to read, I may find perfectly easy to read. I've seen text in some gray shades on my H2O and I've had no issue reading the text.

It's an annoyance at most.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Pretend he said an "issue" with the eBook. In other words, his point was that the hardware was not at fault, it was the book itself that resulted in the grayed out text.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I purchased the book about Leonardo DaVinci by Walter Isaacson from the digital library. I read the book on the kindle and look at the images on my cell phone at the same time. Really awful. Probably will have to give up and read it on my computer. Great book, but yes, the color images are washed out.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #13
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Have had similar issues on two books, both bought from AZ. With both when I went to fonts a Publisher's font was available which made the light portions readable.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've seen some eBooks where the graphics were too small and they needed to be larger as they were important. Sometimes when graphics are used in place of text, they can be too small and very hard to read.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I've seen some eBooks where the graphics were too small and they needed to be larger as they were important. Sometimes when graphics are used in place of text, they can be too small and very hard to read.
FWIW, the latest update for Kindle has a Report Content Error category for Image errors, including Illegible Text and Poor Quality. It seems if enough people report issues, a note appears on the Kindle edition product page that it has ‘quality issues’.

As for greyed out text, I think publishers can also define ‘media queries’ when defining CSS properties and in theory could apply a more appropriate style for Kindles to mitigate this issue. But I doubt many take the trouble to do so.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote