Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Google service changes

For those of you who feel that you have a good grasp on Google's services such as Gmail:

50 illuminating questions about Google's latest messaging service shakeup

If this doesn't confuse you, you can then check into Google's own announcements. At this point, I would say that not only does the right hand not know what the left hand is doing, neither of them know what they are doing.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That article seems much more confusing to me than what's actually happening.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm naturally confused, I don't need to read any articles that increase it.

hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That article seems much more confusing to me than what's actually happening.
That was my impression too, the TL;DR seems strsightforward to me: "Google's merging its collaborative tools and giving all account holders a taster for free, hoping to upsell them"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:44 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, much of the confusion is just which of Google's tools that do very similar jobs, for example, what chat module am I supposed to use. Not to mention confusing the difference between Google's paid and free services which now seems to be non-existent so what are we paying for?

At this point, there appears to be a very good chance that we are going to move from using Microsoft and Google to using Microsoft only due to the lack of clarity supplied by Google.
Advert
Old 06-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, much of the confusion is just which of Google's tools that do very similar jobs, for example, what chat module am I supposed to use. Not to mention confusing the difference between Google's paid and free services which now seems to be non-existent so what are we paying for?

At this point, there appears to be a very good chance that we are going to move from using Microsoft and Google to using Microsoft only due to the lack of clarity supplied by Google.
I found this article in The Register last week to be much more informative about the changes, not focused on amping up the "gee this confusing" vibe. It also explains clearly some of the known differences between free and paid.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I found this article in The Register last week to be much more informative about the changes, not focused on amping up the "gee this confusing" vibe. It also explains clearly some of the known differences between free and paid.
The Register article does little to point out the numerous overlaps which is where the confusion starts. Why do we have a medley of Google Chat, Google Hangouts, Google Messages, Google Rooms soon to be Google Spaces, Google Meet, Google Duo, etc.? Compared to this, Microsoft Teams seems downright straightforward.

Though I am glad that you find:

Quote:
Google has introduced a new subscription called Workspace Individual, which adds "premium capabilities." The exact list of what these capabilities are is to follow, but we can expect them to include custom domains, additional security features, increased limits for Meet videoconferencing, live streaming, and premium support.
where the italicized portion is editorializing from Tim Andersen, to be a clear explanation of what is included in the paid individual plan. I personally would key off the "exact list of what these capabilities are is to follow" as meaning that Google hasn't bothered to make that list public, assuming Google has generated such a list at this point in time.

Since I am more concerned about the corporate environment, where the poor slobs in IT who are going to have to explain this to their co-workers are still waiting for information on what effect these changes/rebranding will have on our corporate Google environment. The information will be ready Real Soon Now.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-22-2021 at 04:32 PM. Reason: re-italized text
Old 06-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
The Register article does little to point out the numerous overlaps which is where the confusion starts. Why do we have a medley of Google Chat, Google Hangouts, Google Messages, Google Rooms soon to be Google Spaces, Google Meet, Google Duo, etc.? Compared to this, Microsoft Teams seems downright straightforward.

Though I am glad that you find:

where the italicized portion is editorializing from Tim Andersen, to be a clear explanation of what is included in the paid individual plan. I personally would key off the "exact list of what these capabilities are is to follow" as meaning that Google hasn't bothered to make that list public, assuming Google has generated such a list at this point in time.

Since I am more concerned about the corporate environment, where the poor slobs in IT who are going to have to explain this to their co-workers are still waiting for information on what effect these changes/rebranding will have on our corporate Google environment. The information will be ready Real Soon Now.

You did a sterling job of ignoring the qualifiers I included in my post, bravo! I specifically said it was "more informative" and explains clearly "some of the known changes". I made it clear that I was comparing the Register article favorably with the link originally posted, nothing more.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
IT will spin up NextCloud, LibreOffice, and Jitsi on AWS, and tell prior vendors that their offering were too confusing to the C-Levels, and tell the C-Levels that the former setup has been discontinued.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #10
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:

I moved all my google stocks in microsoft cause microsoft is the new google, google the old microsoft
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote