Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
GianluC03
GianluC03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Calibre adds whitespace on epub

Ok basically I use Kindle Comic Converter to make mangas and after this I send them on the kobo having good result as KCC is a very efficient tool. However, I wanted to use Calibre as It's the best way I found to modify metadata and convert epub to kepub (through a plugin). The problem is that whenever I add the ebook to calibre and send it on my kobo clara HD, all the images are shown with really big whitespaces above, under and at the sides. As I said, since I tried to do this without using Calibre achieving the results I was expecting (KCC upscales or stretches the images to the desired lenght and width), I can say for sure that Calibre is the problem. Isn't there a way to just use Calibre to convert and modify metadata without it actually modifying the ebook's content? I hope somebody will be able to help me.
GianluC03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
You would need to show is the HTM/CSS code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GianluC03 View Post
Ok basically I use Kindle Comic Converter to make mangas and after this I send them on the kobo having good result as KCC is a very efficient tool. However, I wanted to use Calibre as It's the best way I found to modify metadata and convert epub to kepub (through a plugin). The problem is that whenever I add the ebook to calibre and send it on my kobo clara HD, all the images are shown with really big whitespaces above, under and at the sides. As I said, since I tried to do this without using Calibre achieving the results I was expecting (KCC upscales or stretches the images to the desired lenght and width), I can say for sure that Calibre is the problem. Isn't there a way to just use Calibre to convert and modify metadata without it actually modifying the ebook's content? I hope somebody will be able to help me.
What are you adding to calibre? The original CBR/CBZ? An epub from somewhere? Or the KCC created book?

If it is the KCC created book, from memory, for Kobo devices, KCC is creating kepubs. And you would be adding them to the device with the double extension ".kepub.epub". If you add that to calibre, it will be added to your library as an epub and then sent to the device as an epub.

What I suggest is to add the KCC created book as a kepub. Firstly, install the Kepub Metadata reader and writer plugins. This will allow calibre to get metadata from the kepubs, and update it when it needs to. Then, change the extension of the KCC output to just ".kepub". And then add the books to calibre. When you send these to a Kobo device, they will be sent as kepubs. The device should display them as you have been seeing them.

If you are adding a CBR or CBZ to calibre, just send that to the device. Kobo's have native support for comics. But, they don't read the metadata from them. The KoboTouch driver can update set the metadata on the device once the book is on the device and imported. Basically, send the book to the device, eject and let the device import it, and then connect again. Assuming the options are correct, the metadata will be updated on the device.

If you are using epubs, it will probably be the code in them that is not maximizing the images. We'd need to see the code in the books to understand what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:29 AM   #4
GianluC03
GianluC03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What are you adding to calibre? The original CBR/CBZ? An epub from somewhere? Or the KCC created book?

If it is the KCC created book, from memory, for Kobo devices, KCC is creating kepubs. And you would be adding them to the device with the double extension ".kepub.epub". If you add that to calibre, it will be added to your library as an epub and then sent to the device as an epub.

What I suggest is to add the KCC created book as a kepub. Firstly, install the Kepub Metadata reader and writer plugins. This will allow calibre to get metadata from the kepubs, and update it when it needs to. Then, change the extension of the KCC output to just ".kepub". And then add the books to calibre. When you send these to a Kobo device, they will be sent as kepubs. The device should display them as you have been seeing them.

If you are adding a CBR or CBZ to calibre, just send that to the device. Kobo's have native support for comics. But, they don't read the metadata from them. The KoboTouch driver can update set the metadata on the device once the book is on the device and imported. Basically, send the book to the device, eject and let the device import it, and then connect again. Assuming the options are correct, the metadata will be updated on the device.

If you are using epubs, it will probably be the code in them that is not maximizing the images. We'd need to see the code in the books to understand what is happening.
Thanks! I've just gave it a try, I changed the KCC epub extension to .kepub and even after adding it to calibre the ebook was still in the same conditions as before! I'll do some more tests this afternoon to see if something bad happens with other ebooks or when changing the metadata, but I'm pretty sure you just gave me the right answer there, thank you.
GianluC03 is offline   Reply With Quote