Notices

Old 05-13-2021, 02:09 AM   #16
The_book
Connoisseur
The_book began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So why don't you want any CSS in the epub? Calibre won't convert a book without generating a basic CSS. But, you can remove or replace it. If you remove it, you are completely dependent on how what you are reading it with decides to style the tags.
Thanks. I just want the file to contain only the features I want. Css and Class are not the functions I want, and they cause some interference when editing files.
The_book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:58 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_book View Post
Thanks. I just want the file to contain only the features I want. Css and Class are not the functions I want, and they cause some interference when editing files.
Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. The CSS is what sets how each tag is displayed. And the class attribute defines which class to use in the styleheet when you don't want the standard for that tag.

And from the point of view of editing an epub, most of my time is spent getting the styles correct. Editing of the actual text should be done elsewhere and then converted to appropriate publishing formats. Then those are tweaked to solve problems that the conversion cannot handle.

Maybe the question I should have asked was: What are you actually trying to achieve?
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2021, 04:02 AM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Because I want the toc in the Epub.
pure txt do not have toc. markdown support toc, but I haven't find a book reader support reading markdown files
Shameless plug: if you're trying to convert a single Markdown file, you might find my Markdown Sigil plugin helpful.
It is not as sophisticated as the Calibre text filters, but it won't add any styles to the epub.
However, it won't automatically generate a TOC, but if you used the proper Markdown heading syntax, all you have to do is select Tools > Table of Contents > Generate Table Of Contents.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:20 AM   #19
Sarmat89
Addict
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just convert to EPUB, delete the CSS file, and use "Cleanup CSS function" - it should remove useless "class" attributes.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:29 AM   #20
The_book
Connoisseur
The_book began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. The CSS is what sets how each tag is displayed. And the class attribute defines which class to use in the styleheet when you don't want the standard for that tag.

And from the point of view of editing an epub, most of my time is spent getting the styles correct. Editing of the actual text should be done elsewhere and then converted to appropriate publishing formats. Then those are tweaked to solve problems that the conversion cannot handle.

Maybe the question I should have asked was: What are you actually trying to achieve?
I think I have said it before. I want the toc function of epub. The directory analysis of txt files by e-book reading software cannot meet my needs, and markdown files are not yet supported by most reading software (in fact, I have switched to markdown to store and read e-books on my computer) .
The_book is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I think I have said it before. I want the toc function of epub. The directory analysis of txt files by e-book reading software cannot meet my needs, and markdown files are not yet supported by most reading software (in fact, I have switched to markdown to store and read e-books on my computer) .
Which doesn't actually answer my question. Or at least not clearly. What it says is that you do not believe that ePub is a good format but are forced to use it in certain circumstances. So, why are you worried about removing the CSS? You are planning to read the book and the delete it. What you should be doing is creating a stylesheet that matches the styles used by whatever reader you are using for your markdown versions, putting that in the epub so that when read on the device you get your preferred experience.

And as to "markdown files are not yet supported by most reading software", that is because it doesn't do a lot of the things people want. Which you clearly know as you want the ToC that epubs do deliver.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Just convert to EPUB, delete the CSS file, and use "Cleanup CSS function" - it should remove useless "class" attributes.
When you convert to ePub, you don't get any unused CSS. CSS is not useless. Without it, I would not be reading eBooks as I do not like the format I get from just the defaults.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote