Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #6016
SilentShadow123
SilentShadow123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Actually, I just tried to download from URLs 6 fanfics and now anytime I'm retrying the browser cache feature on ff.net, I'm getting this error:

HTTP Error in FFF 'Page not found or expired in Browser Cache (see FFF setting browser_cache_age_limit)'(428)

Can I please get some help with this and how to fix it?
SilentShadow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #6017
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Try clearing the browser cache, opening the pages again in browser, and retrying. Always works for me. Force-reloading (usually ctrl+F5) may work but I found it less reliable.

If that doesn't work, you can also tweak browser_cache_age_limit in personal.ini. Setting it to -1 will make it use all files, but is extremely slow because it has to check them all.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-11-2021 at 07:30 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #6018
kim67255
kim67255 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
I'm trying to get the browser cache feature to work. I can't even find my cache file. I cleared the browser cache. That didn't do anything.

I'm so lost. I've read the directions to do this but it's all above my head. In step 1, it says to find my cache directory but I can't even find that. I have an LG laptop. The directions where for a Mac.

I know enough about Calibre to load my stories/books, add columns ect. I've changed things in the personal ini. But now I'm getting this message when I try to update a story. The message is
Directory does not contain a known browser cache type: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32'

I took out what I put in and I'm still getting the same error.

I know I sound like a moron, but I need help. Several of you have helped in the past and have been very patient with me. Any help would help. Thanks in advance.
kim67255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #6019
SilentShadow123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim67255 View Post
I'm trying to get the browser cache feature to work. I can't even find my cache file. I cleared the browser cache. That didn't do anything.

I'm so lost. I've read the directions to do this but it's all above my head. In step 1, it says to find my cache directory but I can't even find that. I have an LG laptop. The directions where for a Mac.

I know enough about Calibre to load my stories/books, add columns ect. I've changed things in the personal ini. But now I'm getting this message when I try to update a story. The message is

I know I sound like a moron, but I need help. Several of you have helped in the past and have been very patient with me. Any help would help. Thanks in advance.
As someone who is not tech-savvy, I understand how difficult this is. I got it to work eventually through a series of steps I followed. I can try to help you out the best I can, but please keep in mind that this is likely out of my jurisdiction and this is the way I got it to work.

1. Find your browser cache location. For mine, I have a Mac and my browser is Chrome. From the list given to us on https://github.com/JimmXinu/FanFicFa...erCacheFeature, I located it to be:
#browser_cache_path:/Users/your.user/Library/Caches/Google/Chrome/Default/Cache

For your LG Laptop which likely runs Windows, if you use the browser Chrome, then your location would be either of these two:

browser_cache_path:C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local \Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache
browser_cache_path:C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local \Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Cache

For Firefox: browser_cache_path:C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local \Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ZjwI7Fo4.default\cache2

Just make sure to choose the appropriate option for your location, and replace "YourUser" with your windows username.

2. After you've found the right location enter it below [defaults] in personal.ini.

The top part of my code looks like this:
[defaults]
browser_cache_path:/Users/YourUser/Library/Caches/Google/Chrome/Default/Cache
## [defaults] section applies to all formats and sites but may be
## overridden at several levels. Example:

3. Last step is to copy in these lines of code near the end of the personal.ini code under [overrides]:

[www.fanfiction.net]
##the following line tells FFF to use the browser cache when set to true
use_browser_cache:true
##the following line limits FFF to use cache entries no older than the ##number of hours shown
##(in this case, cached items no 4 hours or less old).
browser_cache_age_limit:4.0
use_browser_cache_only:true

(You don't have to add in the comments if you don't want to. They're just a personal preference of mine.)

Last edited by SilentShadow123; 06-11-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:05 PM   #6020
kim67255

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentShadow123 View Post
As someone who is not tech-savvy, I understand how difficult this is. I got it to work eventually through a series of steps I followed. I can try to help you out the best I can, but please keep in mind that this is likely out of my jurisdiction and this is the way I got it to work.

1. Find your browser cache location. For mine, I have a Mac and my browser is Chrome. From the list given to us on https://github.com/JimmXinu/FanFicFa...erCacheFeature, I located it to be:
#browser_cache_path:/Users/your.user/Library/Caches/Google/Chrome/Default/Cache

For your LG Laptop which likely runs Windows, if you use the browser Chrome, then your location would be either of these two:

browser_cache_path:C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local \Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache
browser_cache_path:C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local \Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Cache

For Firefox: browser_cache_path:C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local \Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ZjwI7Fo4.default\cache2

Just make sure to choose the appropriate option for your location, and replace "YourUser" with your windows username.

2. After you've found the right location enter it below [defaults] in personal.ini.

The top part of my code looks like this:
[defaults]
browser_cache_path:/Users/YourUser/Library/Caches/Google/Chrome/Default/Cache
## [defaults] section applies to all formats and sites but may be
## overridden at several levels. Example:

3. Last step is to copy in these lines of code near the end of the personal.ini code under [overrides]:

[www.fanfiction.net]
##the following line tells FFF to use the browser cache when set to true
use_browser_cache:true
##the following line limits FFF to use cache entries no older than the ##number of hours shown
##(in this case, cached items no 4 hours or less old).
browser_cache_age_limit:4.0
use_browser_cache_only:true

(You don't have to add in the comments if you don't want to. They're just a personal preference of mine.)
This worked and now Calibre sees my cache directory. Now I'm back to the orig error that everyone else is getting.

cloudscraper reports: "Detected a Cloudflare version 2 Captcha challenge, This feature is not available...."

How do I work around that? I thought that was what the Browser Cache Feature was supposed to do.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #6021
SilentShadow123

Quote:
This worked and now Calibre sees my cache directory. Now I'm back to the orig error that everyone else is getting.

cloudscraper reports: "Detected a Cloudflare version 2 Captcha challenge, This feature is not available...."

How do I work around that? I thought that was what the Browser Cache Feature was supposed to do.
Yes, that's odd. Once I was done with all these steps, I wasn't seeing the Cloudflare error anymore. Are you sure you've followed the steps exactly and you've added all the necessary lines of code and uncommented them?
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #6022
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

System32 is definitely not your cache folder. The location depends on which browser you are using.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #6023
kim67255

I was able to update 2 stories last night. This morning I tried and it won't work. I've tried your step 3. the same thing. I take it out same thing I have it in now and get this message: cloudscraper reports: "Detected a Cloudflare version 2 Captcha challenge, This feature is not available...."

Is all of this a workaround until ffn gets their act together/finish whatever it is they are doing? Or is this the way we need to start updating all ffn stories.?

At least now my Calibre is seeing the cache so that is better than last night.