Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #30076
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Starting Benjamin Percy's The Ninth Metal. First in a series.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #30077
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Under the Dragon' Tail by Maureen Jennings. The second in her Murdoch Mysteries. I quite liked the first when I read it last year.
And I liked this one too.

And next up was To Clear Away the Shadows by David Drake. The start of a new series in his RCN universe. Most enjoyable.

And now I'm reading The Assassins of Thasalon by Lois McMaster Bujold. A novel-length Penric & Desdemona story.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #30078
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I enjoyed Benjamin Percy's The Ninth Metal quite a bit. Sort of a modern day gold-rush meets the Hatfields and McCoys with a splash of superhero origins thrown in for good measure. I look forward to a few future installments.

Now starting Peter F. Hamilton's Salvation Sequence (now that there's several books available).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #30079
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now I'm reading The Assassins of Thasalon by Lois McMaster Bujold. A novel-length Penric & Desdemona story.
And excellent it was too. Most enjoyable.

Next up: Worlds 2 by Eric Flint. A second collection of his shorter fiction.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:42 AM   #30080
Camellia
Enthusiast
Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've been in a reading slump for a long time. I'm going to try to break out of it with a collection of horror shorts:

The Secret of Ventriloquism by Jon Padgett

Quote:
Jon Padgett's The Secret of Ventriloquism, named the Best Fiction Book of 2016 by Rue Morgue Magazine, heralds the arrival of a significant new literary talent. With themes reminiscent of Shirley Jackson, Thomas Ligotti, and Bruno Schulz, but with a strikingly unique vision, Padgett's work explores the mystery of human suffering, the agony of personal existence, and the ghastly means by which someone might achieve salvation from both.

A bullied child seeks vengeance within a bed's hollow box spring. A lucid dreamer is haunted by an impossible house. A dummy reveals its own anatomy in 20 simple steps. A stuttering librarian holds the key to a mill town's unspeakable secrets. A commuter's worldview is shattered by two words printed on a cardboard sign. An aspiring ventriloquist spends a little too much time looking at himself in a mirror. And a presence speaks through them all.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #30081
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I finished the fifth and currently last Shadow Sun book, which wraps up a major story arc making the series reasonably "complete," though there is absolutely room for sequels. Willmarth does a great job expanding on his worldbuilding and raising the stakes at a satisfying pace, and his monsters, magic and battles are very solid. His characterization is less so; every good guy is more or less the same jocular go-getter with a different name and job, and every human villain has ALL the character flaws. Nevertheless, the characters are adequate to the narrative. The MC's righteous encounters with sniveling, freeloading murder-rapists are an early clue, along with rampant gun fetishism, of the author's skew on reality, which is occasionally confirmed in later volumes, but isn't overpowering or ubiquitous overall.

I poked my head into some other litRPG on Kindle Unlimited without doing any real research, which so far confirms my impression that Shadow Sun is likely as well-written a litRPG as I'm going to find, as well as my fear that the militaristic Sad Puppies vibe is going to be a common theme. Despite both those issues being obvious right off the bat, I am sticking with Dean Henegar's first Derelict book for now, because the setting interests me. Really it's the same setup as Shadow Sun: all of our myths, fantasy stories, and video games reflect hidden knowledge of a galactic civilization where dwarves, dragons, etc are real alien races and leveling systems, character classes and dungeons are part of a legal system enforced by nanites or <insert handwave here>. This one is a space Navy captain whose consciousness becomes fused to his wrecked ship in a first contact with the DnD aliens, and he now has to level himself up as a space dungeon (i.e. Derelict).
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:02 AM   #30082
mlewis78
Addict
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Last week I finally finished Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898 by Edwin Burroughs and Mike Wallace on my kindle. It was good, and if I'd read some of it every day, I would have finished it in a couple of months. There was a lot of class misery and there was a lot in it about attempts at social programs to help the poor.

This week I listened to Lake Wobegon Virus, Garrison Keillor. I started listening to his radio show Prairie Home Companion in 1981 and I'd been to some of his shows at Carnegie Hall, Town Hall and Radio City Music Hall in New York City and at least two shows he did at the Great Auditorium in Ocean Grove, New Jersey. He overdoes talking about lust, nose snot, farts and other body functions, but the second half was quite good.

I started listening to former President Obama's A Promised Land during my walk this evening.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:10 AM   #30083
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Starting up The Women of Troy by Pat Barker. I'm a couple chapters in and haven't seen any women yet, but it's looking good so far.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #30084
elaysee
Zealot
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I poked my head into some other litRPG on Kindle Unlimited without doing any real research, which so far confirms my impression that Shadow Sun is likely as well-written a litRPG as I'm going to find, as well as my fear that the militaristic Sad Puppies vibe is going to be a common theme.
I dabble in litRPG, moreso before Amazon did away with KOLL, but I've read a few. Some ones that I thought were a bit further from the archetype:

- Forever Fantasy Online, Rachel Aaron & Travis Bach - siblings with very different approaches to the game they get stuck in
- The Luckless, A.M. Sohma - on the fluffy end, a woman gets stuck in the joke character a friend tricked her into joining as
- Awaken Online, Travis Bagwell - a necromancer protagonist and some creative use of in-game mechanics
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #30085
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty. A fantasy set in the 18th century in the Middle East (involving djinn, daeva and ifrit etc.). It is a densely plotted story with a large cast and a lot of unfamiliar names for people, places and things, and so I found it a bit hard to keep track at first. But it was well told and held my interest, making it easy to push on until things started to come together for me. There is some romance here, a love triangle of sorts, but like the rest of the book it's not quite that simple. The first of a trilogy, this book wound up well enough feel complete, but also with much still unresolved. I really enjoyed this, a firm 4/5, so I have dived straight into the second.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #30086
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Worlds 2 by Eric Flint. A second collection of his shorter fiction.
Which was great fun. Some I'd read before, and some were new to me. I liked reading all of them.

Next up: The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton. First of a trilogy that I bough back in August 2017.