Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-07-2021, 01:51 PM   #5416
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Mean High Tide is the third in the Thorn series by James W. Hall. It's free right now at Kindle US and UK.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00756IJ64
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00756IJ64

Spoiler:
Quote:
Beneath the still blue waters off Key Largo a woman dives into a dazzling array of color. But behind the shimmering schools of fish, somewhere in the shadows of the reef, a death trap awaits. In minutes one life will be expertly, brutally taken, and another plunged into a mean season of fury, obsession, and revenge... His name is Thorn, his world is mangrove islands, open waters, and the ghosts of a too-violent past. Darcy Richards was everything to him. Now, finding her killer is. Wading into a seething mystery, Thorn is catapulted into a nightmare of violence and deception. There lurks a sensual young woman with a hard come-on, an aging former mobster, and a diabolical ex-CIA man. What they all have in common is each other's mad ruthlessness -- and a little red fish that will make some people very rich, and others very dead...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #5417
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Slayer of Gods is again at $1.99 at Kindle US, but not this time at Kobo US. Note that there are now two different versions of this, with different covers, so make sure you get the right one (Hachette/Mysterious Press). The links below are still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Slayer of Gods is the sixth and last in Lynda S. Robinson's Lord Meren series, set during the reign of Tutankhamun, in ancient Egypt. I really liked this series years ago in DTB, so I'm happy to see at least one e-book title drop to a reasonable backlist price, at $1.99.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZGZC12
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/slayer-of-gods
And in the "newer" version of this series, from Open Road/Mysterious Press, which seems to have been published (all of the books) on May 18, 2021, the second title, Murder at the God's Gate, is also $1.99 at Kindle US, but not at Kobo US. As I mentioned above, I really like this series, so I'm hopeful that now that they are Open Road titles, they will all eventually drop at various times to $1.99, as most Open Road titles usually eventually do !

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YDNN1G8

Spoiler:
Quote:
Egypt is under threat from the Hittites, and the teenage pharaoh has additional troubles stemming from the heresy of his late father, Akhenaten. Fate seems to be pointing a finger at him when a priest topples to his death—from a statue of none other than Tutankhamun himself. Now Lord Meren, the confidential agent who protects the boy king, must struggle to uncover Tutankhamun’s most threatening enemies, some within the court at Thebes . . .

“Robinson knowledgeably instructs readers in the cultural and political life of a fascinating period in history while entertaining us with a puzzling plot, accessible characters, and the domestic details of their daily lives.” —Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine

“Delightful . . . Robinson makes ancient Thebes come alive as she describes the personalities, clothing, golden jewelry, the intrigue, and the smells of the desert, the terrors of a hippo hunt.” —San Francisco Examiner & Chronicle
“A compelling narrative comprised of vividly depicted background and characters and a well-plotted mystery.” —Publishers Weekly, starred review

“Ms. Robinson is an archeologist by training and a storyteller by inclination. Using her scholarship to penetrate the inner precincts of court and temple, she has written a complex and exciting narrative that reflects the twisted machinations of politicians—royal and otherwise.” —The New York Times Book Review
Old 06-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #5418
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The Red Horse is the fifteenth and most recent (2020) in the Billy Boyle WWII series by James R. Benn - at least until the new one comes out in September. It is on sale right now in both the US ($1.99) and UK (£1.41).

I read and enjoyed many of the early books in this series in DTB from my local library. What's not to like with a young Irish-American cop from Boston, whose mom got him a supposedly safe job on the staff of a distantly-related American general? Especially when that general turns out to be Dwight D. Eisenhower, the job may not be all that safe, and Ike needs Billy to solve a murder or two...

But I sort of lost track of the series after I started reading e-books almost exclusively, because these tend to be $9.99 and up in the US, and almost never (with the exception of the first one) go on sale. So just be forewarned - if you get hooked on this series, you may need to cross your fingers for your local library to have them, or be very patient, or spend lots of money.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08273WLDM/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-red-horse-3
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08273WLDM/

Spoiler:
Quote:
England, 1944: Recovering from physical and psychological wounds sustained in the liberation of Paris, US Army detective Billy Boyle and Lieutenant Kazimierz are sent to a convalescent hospital in the English countryside—only to discover that St. Albans may have its own war secrets, including a killer.

"As historical detective series go, this one is extremely well tended by an author who clearly dotes on his hero. As do we."—The New York Times

Just days after the Liberation of Paris, US Army Detective Billy Boyle and Lieutenant Kazimierz are brought to Saint Albans Convalescent Hospital in the English countryside. Kaz has been diagnosed with a heart condition, and Billy is dealing with emotional exhaustion and his recent methamphetamine abuse. Meanwhile, Billy’s love, Diana Seaton, has been taken to Ravensbrück, the Nazi concentration camp for women, and Kaz’s sister, Angelika, who he recently learned was alive and working with the Polish Underground, has also been captured and transported to the same camp.

This news is brought by British Major Cosgrove, who asks Billy for help, unofficially, in solving what he thinks was the murder of a British agent recuperating at Saint Albans. The convalescent hospital is really a secret installation for those in the world of clandestine warfare to recover from wounds, physical and emotional. Some are allowed to leave; others are deemed security risks and are detained there. When a second body is found, it is evident that a killer is at work in this high-security enclave. Now Billy must carry out his covert investigation while maintaining his tenuous recovery, shielding his actions from suspicious hospital authorities, and dodging the unknown murderer.

(After reading the blurb, I note that this book sounds quite a bit darker than I remember the earlier titles to be. Not that books set during wartime are ever exactly lighthearted, but... I'm going to be interested to see if that's the case when I read it.)
Old 06-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #5419
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Explosive Eighteen By Janet Evanovich $2.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Cozy/Crime Stephanie Plumb series

Deeper Than the Dead By Tami Hoag
$2.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Crime (my mom loves this writer).

When Maidens Mourn By C. S. Harris $1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Historical mystery - Sebastian St Cyr

The Moneychangers Arthur Hailey $1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Thriller

Hide My Eyes By Margery Allingham $.99 Amazon only
British cozy
Note: not associated with vanity publisher of same name.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:13 PM   #5420
Mims
Groupie
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Bimbos of the Death Sun $1.99
by Sharyn McCrumb

A sci-fi convention gets a dose of true crime in this Edgar Award-winning mystery by the*New York Times*bestselling author of the Ballad novels.
When Virginia Tech professor James Owen Mega wrote a fictional account of his real-life research, he hardly expected it to get published. But when a publisher changed the title of his novel to*Bimbos of the Death Sun, James—under the pen name Jay Omega—becomes an overnight sci-fi star. Invited to the annual fan convention Rubicon, James is both a fish out of water and a Guest of Honor among the Trekkies and sword-wielding cosplayers. But he’s not the only VIP at the overrun hotel.*
Revered fantasy author Appin Dungannon never misses a Rubicon—or a chance to belittle his legions of devotees. But when Dungannon turns up dead, police wonder if a die-hard fan finally turned to murder. As the list of suspects grows and hucksters hunt for the victim’s autograph, James devises an ingenious way to catch a killer.

https://www.amazon.com/Bimbos-Death-.../dp/B088Z48BYC
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #5421
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
Bimbos of the Death Sun $1.99
by Sharyn McCrumb

A sci-fi convention gets a dose of true crime in this Edgar Award-winning mystery by the*New York Times*bestselling author of the Ballad novels.
When Virginia Tech professor James Owen Mega wrote a fictional account of his real-life research, he hardly expected it to get published. But when a publisher changed the title of his novel to*Bimbos of the Death Sun, James—under the pen name Jay Omega—becomes an overnight sci-fi star. Invited to the annual fan convention Rubicon, James is both a fish out of water and a Guest of Honor among the Trekkies and sword-wielding cosplayers. But he’s not the only VIP at the overrun hotel.*
Revered fantasy author Appin Dungannon never misses a Rubicon—or a chance to belittle his legions of devotees. But when Dungannon turns up dead, police wonder if a die-hard fan finally turned to murder. As the list of suspects grows and hucksters hunt for the victim’s autograph, James devises an ingenious way to catch a killer.

https://www.amazon.com/Bimbos-Death-.../dp/B088Z48BYC
I loved this book, and the second in the series, Zombies of the Gene Pool, back in DTB days. This reminded me a lot of some of my fellow students at the very technical university I went to .

I wish Zombies was available in e-book...
Old 06-10-2021, 04:38 PM   #5422
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Lady’s Guide to Gossip and Murder By Dianne Freeman $1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Cozy

The Intruders By Stephen Coonts $1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Thriller

Heartbreak Bay By Rachel Caine
$1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Suspense. Book 5 of Stillhouse Lake series. I really enjoy this creepy series which follows the family of a convicted serial killer. Companion audiobook is $1.99 as well.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:57 AM   #5423
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Last time I noticed this on sale was early December, 2017, which makes some sort of sense. Now it's free at both Kindle US and UK - in JUNE - no idea why.

In any case, the link below is still good for the US, and here's the UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naughty-Nin...dp/B004AHKD1U/

Quote:
Another holiday-themed title:

Naughty by Steve Hockensmith, of Holmes on the Range fame, is a collection of nine holiday-themed short stories. It is a US Kindle Countdown deal for about 5 1/4 more days.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Naughty-Nine-...dp/B004AHKD1U/
Old 06-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #5424
Tarana
Wizard

Eleventh Hour By Catherine Coulter $1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Crime

All the Wrong Places By Joy Fielding $1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Psychological Thriller - I've not read this author but popular Canadian author
Old 06-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #5425
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Last time I noticed this on sale was early December, 2017, which makes some sort of sense. Now it's free at both Kindle US and UK - in JUNE - no idea why.

In any case, the link below is still good for the US, and here's the UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naughty-Nin...dp/B004AHKD1U/
Thanks! Got it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:25 PM   #5426
GA Russell
Grey Cup in December?
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 8, 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:

I enjoyed this one! Very light, but great for December.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote