Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #31
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
The first series which came to mind (after 1632) are the Adventures of Conrad Stargard by Leo Frankowski, starting with Cross-Time Engineer. I was surprised to find it isn't available electronically.
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNet View Post
The first series which came to mind (after 1632) are the Adventures of Conrad Stargard by Leo Frankowski, starting with Cross-Time Engineer. I was surprised to find it isn't available electronically.
He died in 2008. He also had his contracts with Jim Baen cancelled due to "poor writing". I thought the Cross-Time Engineer was an interesting book. It was available as part of Baen's monthly bundles at one time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #33
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I hadn't read any litRPG when I started this thread, but I'm most of the way through Dave Willmarth's Shadow Sun Survival series, and it's both less absurd and higher quality than anticipated. If you're not familiar with litRPG, it's a genre where, through one plot device or another, the rules common to tabletop and computer roleplaying games become a literal reality: every character has attribute stats like Strength and Intelligence, levels up, picks a class, learns spells from scrolls, fights RPG-style monsters, etc. For me, that setup did not create high expectations - I was expecting glorified fanfic. Still, I do play lots of those types of games, so it had some appeal.

Shadow Sun Survival is a loose fit for this thread, but shows a lot of influence from these types of books, and in particular has a ton in common with Stirling's Emberverse. Partly it's just that they both use an apocalypse on Earth to set up their new world, but the results are also pseudo-medieval, except that Willmarth's world includes extreme sci-fi elements along with the swords and armor. It's also a different sort of expertise that comes to the fore: the protagonist is not an engineer, chemist or soldier, but an experienced gamer, as are many of the survivors who recognize and adapt to their new world. Battle tactics are also drawn less from historic warfare and more from World of Warcraft dungeon raids.

It's pure escapist junk food, to an even greater extent than most of the series in this thread, but if you have any affinity for DnD or RPG games, it's tasty junk food. It's also competently put together in terms of prose, plotting, pace and dialogue. The characters are... kind of all the same jocular, go-getter personality type, with different jobs or pets or traumas. There are a lot of characters by book four (where I'm at), and I can generally sort out, "Oh, you were at this or that battle, married to so-and-so, or joined with this or that group" as they come up, so it's not like they all run together, but if I were to tell you about them, it would read more like a CV than a biography.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #34
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I too have been nipped by the litRPG bug. I was not familiar with all the skill acquistion stuff before, so I took it as part of the world. Michael Atamanov is an excellent writer. I'm working may way through the game that bends reality series.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #35
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld depicts moderns thrown into a primitive non-tech world. The second book details the consequences when metal is found and mined.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote