Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-05-2021, 12:57 AM   #1
Bradles
Connoisseur
Bradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmos

Device: Apple Books & Kobo Libra H20
[GUI Plugin] Scroll Book Details

Scroll Book Details (SBD) is a calibre plug-in for using the spacebar (or any configured keyboard shortcut) to scroll the book details panel.

Main Features:
  • Use the spacebar (or any configured keyboard shortcut) to scroll info in the book details panel.

Special Notes:
  • Requires calibre 5.0.0 or later. Works with calibre 6.0+.

Installation Steps:
  • Install the plugin from calibre preferences (Preferences - Plugins - Get new plugins).
  • Alternatively, install it manually by downloading the attached zip file, and installing as described in the Introduction to plugins thread (look for "How do I install a plugin manually?").
  • Use calibre preferences (Preferences - Shortcuts) to change the default keyboard shortcut.

Donations:
  • If you feel the need to pay someone, please donate to support calibre's development.

Version History:

Spoiler:
Version 1.0.2 - 23 Sep 2022
Use Shift key to scroll up.

Version 1.0.1 - 22 Jul 2022
calibre 6 / Qt6 version

Version 1.0.0 - 5 Jun 2021
Initial release of the Scroll Book Details plugin

Attached Files
File Type: zip Scroll Book Details.zip (12.8 KB, 27932 views)

Last edited by Bradles; 09-23-2022 at 02:09 AM.
Bradles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:58 AM   #2
Bradles
Connoisseur
Bradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmos

Shift+Space To Scroll Up

This is a test version of the Scroll Book Details plugin that scrolls up if the Shift key modifier is part of the keyboard shortcut.

The default shortcut and alternate shortcut are Space and Shift+Space. Any shortcut that includes the Shift modifier will scroll up.

I've tested with calibre 5.44 and 6.5.

This version of the plugin can be installed manually for testing purposes. Report any issues at the bottom of this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Scroll Book Details.zip (12.8 KB, 870 views)

Last edited by Bradles; 09-22-2022 at 01:51 AM. Reason: use Shift modifier to scroll up
Old 01-07-2022, 01:20 AM   #3
Bradles
Connoisseur

Qt6 test version attached to the second post.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:53 PM   #4
Bradles
Connoisseur

calibre 6 / Qt6 compatible version 1.0.1 released and attached to first post.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:34 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradles View Post
Scroll Book Details (SBD) is a calibre plug-in for using the spacebar (or any other key) to scroll the book details panel.

Main Features:
  • Use the spacebar to scroll info in the book details panel.
There's an inconsistency between those two statements - far as I can tell it only works with spacebar.

But what I really came here to ask was :

Could you add something that will Scroll Up - maybe Shift+Spacebar

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:41 AM   #6
Bradles
Connoisseur

Hi BR.

Quote:
There's an inconsistency between those two statements - far as I can tell it only works with spacebar.
I was referring to the ability to configure a different keyboard shortcut if you don't want to use the default, i.e. spacebar. I've updated the first post accordingly.

The Scroll Book Details plugin relies in the built-in keyboard shortcut mapping. There is an "alternate shortcut", but no way to determine that programmatically. I could hard-code a shortcut using create_action(), but that's never going to please everyone.

I use the up/down cursor keys to move off and back. As long as you're not on the first book it works a treat.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:09 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I'm after is a keyboard sequence to scroll the book details back up after scrolling it down with the Space-bar. So I envisage two configurable shortcut sequences that would default to - Scroll down=Space and Scroll up=Shift+space.

Journal articles often have a long synopsis, and an even longer list of authors.

BR
Old 09-22-2022, 01:57 AM   #8
Bradles
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What I'm after is a keyboard sequence to scroll the book details back up after scrolling it down with the Space-bar. So I envisage two configurable shortcut sequences that would default to - Scroll down=Space and Scroll up=Shift+space.
Figured it out now, and version 1.0.2 is attached to the second post.

It should work with calibre 5 or 6. It relies on one of the two configured shortcuts (Preferences - Shortcuts) being Shift+something. The defaults are Space and Shift+Space.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:26 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Figured it out now, and version 1.0.2 is attached to the second post.

It should work with calibre 5 or 6. It relies on one of the two configured shortcuts (Preferences - Shortcuts) being Shift+something. The defaults are Space and Shift+Space.
Works for me.

I didn't trying changing the shortcuts, happy with the defaults.

Thanks a lot.

BR
Old 09-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Some things are logical, (Just ask Spock)
Shift+Tab
Shift+space

Shift either raises or reverses
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:10 AM   #11
Bradles
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Works for me.

I didn't trying changing the shortcuts, happy with the defaults.

Thanks a lot.

BR
No worries. Updated the first post with version 1.0.2.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:59 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Nitpik in a minor key.

To scroll either of the detailed book details panels I must tap the Tab key first.

BR
Old 01-08-2024, 09:00 PM   #13
Bradles
Connoisseur

By "detailed" book details panels, do you mean the window that pops up when pressing i? Is there more than one?

I suspect that the cover has the keyboard focus, which may be for a reason or maybe not. Perhaps Kovid can shed some light and depending... might be amenable to changing the behaviour slightly?

Adding the following code to class CoverView / def __init__ in widgets.py seems to do the trick:

Code:
self.setFocusPolicy(Qt.FocusPolicy.NoFocus)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:32 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
By "detailed" book details panels, do you mean the window that pops up when pressing i? Is there more than one?

I suspect that the cover has the keyboard focus, which may be for a reason or maybe not. Perhaps Kovid can shed some light and depending... might be amenable to changing the behaviour slightly?

Adding the following code to class CoverView / def __init__ in widgets.py seems to do the trick:

Code:
self.setFocusPolicy(Qt.FocusPolicy.NoFocus)
That should have been 'detached book details'. Yes, there are two of them… one that follows the book list; and another that locks onto the current book, of which you can have multiple instances.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-09 140640.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	205685

I'm sure you're right about the cover having initial kb focus. I push them aside… so, I'd forgotten they were even there. Now I know why I have to hit tab first, it's less likely to bother me, so happy to leave it be.

BR

Tags
sbd, scroll, scroll book details