Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-1.6.0 Released

Sigil-1.6.0

Sigil-1.6.0 represents a mix of bug fixes and new features for both epub2 and epub3.

New Features:
  • Find and Replace search targets expanded to include tabbed files, CSS files, OPF and NCX files
  • Saved Searches now save full search Controls (mode, direction, options, and targets)
  • Preview loading is now completely asynchronous with a loading progress bar and loading placeholder
  • Merge will now automatically prevent duplicate ids
  • Merge will automatically add ids are former file boundaries to prevent TOC, Guide, and href losses
  • A new Xhtml Highlighter speeds up huge single file loading considerably
  • Redesigned CodeView Spellchecking to bring it back to Sigil-1.3.0 speeds
  • The External XHTML editor will now always pass along the OPF path and spine position to simplify interface with PageEdit (use "Open With" if you want the old behaviour)
  • Added PyQtWebEngine as a newly required python module for Plugins. ie. Plugins now have access to browser functionality for implementing e-Readers, more complex guis.

Bug Fixes:
  • Add Qt workaround for restoring Sigil window sizes when FindReplace left open on macOS
  • Add missing tr() calls to the tooltips in the Special Character selection dialog
  • Fix bug when all unused selectors are removed as in css stylesheet - adds a comment placeholder
  • Make empty Nav have a title to help empty epub passing epubcheck
  • Fix bug where fonts couldn't be previewed when a space was in the path
  • Redesigned code to make Merging large numbers of files much faster (Thank you Tex2002ans)
  • Fix bug in blank language field in Spellcheck Dialog (Thank you Tex2002ans)
  • Fix use of different indentation of css via PR from BeckyEbook (Thank you)
  • Fix typos in plugin framework guide (Thank you Doitsu)
  • Fix hang on launch when opf manifested files exist inside the META_INF (Thank you un_pogaz)
  • Fix Metadata Editor bugs related to alternate-script (Thank you Carmina16) (#613)
  • Fix Metadata Editor bugs related to epub2 event dates (Thank you Octet-nl) (#616)

--------------------------------- Notes -----------------------------------

The Sigil user guide has been updated for Sigil-1.6.0+ for the new Saved Search Controls and Find & Replace targets. It can always be downloaded from its own repository.

Three new e-Reader plugins for Sigil have been built to help users see what their ebook might look like in real e-readers while still inside Sigil. See this post for descriptions and links.

Please check the Sigil Wiki for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.

Mac users should still download and install ActiveState's ActiveTcl Community Edition to utilize plugins that use Tk/Tcl GUIs. More here.
Mac users should also check out the wiki entry on the New Release File Format.

PGP Fingerprint

The binary downloads (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of The Sigil Github Release page.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-30-2021 at 07:32 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Post reserved for future use.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Sigil 1.6.0 is an AWESOME update. I especially appreciate the expanded search targets and full search Controls for Saved Searches. This is very useful to me.

Question: When I right-click on a Saved Search, there is a "Fill Controls" option at the bottom of the context menu. However, when I select that, nothing seems to happen. Am I missing something? Should I be able to set Saved Searches Controls from the context menu?

In the meantime, I successfully set my Controls by double-clicking in the Control column, no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
  • Find and Replace search targets expanded to include tabbed files, CSS files, OPF and NCX files
  • Saved Searches now save full search Controls (mode, direction, options, and targets)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Think of Fill Controls as being like Fill Down in Microsoft Excel. It will copy the first Controls value to all of the other Controls fields that are highlighted via dragging or shift click. That way if you want the same controls for an entire saved search group, you just fill in the first Controls and then highlight it and all of the other Controls in the search group and choose Fill controls.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Sigil 1.6.0 is an AWESOME update. I especially appreciate the expanded search targets and full search Controls for Saved Searches. This is very useful to me.

Question: When I right-click on a Saved Search, there is a "Fill Controls" option at the bottom of the context menu. However, when I select that, nothing seems to happen. Am I missing something? Should I be able to set Saved Searches Controls from the context menu?

In the meantime, I successfully set my Controls by double-clicking in the Control column, no problem

Last edited by KevinH; 05-29-2021 at 06:15 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, I tried to update the User's Guide to bring it up to Sigil-1.6.0 levels. So you may want to grab the latest copy of the user guide.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Think of Fill Controls as being like Fill Down in Microsoft Excel. It will copy the first Controls value to all of the other Controls fields that are highlighted via dragging or shift click. That way if you want the same controls for an entire saved search group, you just fill in the first Controls and then highlight it and all of the other Controls in the search group and choose Fill controls.
That's excellent! Thank you!

Question: I know I'm probably doing something stupid, but how do you highlight via dragging? Every time I try to drag, the entire search entry moves up or down. (Highlighting via shift click works great.)

Quote:
FWIW, I tried to update the User's Guide to bring it up to Sigil-1.6.0 levels. So you may want to grab the latest copy of the user guide.
Yes, I got it. That's how I learned how to set the Controls by clicking in the Control column
Old 05-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Perhaps drag of an entry takes precedence. I forgot that drag can be used to repder entries as I always use the arrow keys to do that.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:45 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg

Okay, makes sense.

I just attempted a pull request for the User Guide on GitHub to add info on Context Menu > Fill Controls to the Saved Searches chapter.

I am very intimidated by GitHub and don't know what I'm doing, but I wanted to try to expand my brain and figure this out.

Let me know if it worked. If not, I'm happy to post the xhtml file here.

Quote:
Perhaps drag of an entry takes precedence. I forgot that drag can be used to repder entries as I always use the arrow keys to do that.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay, makes sense.

I just attempted a pull request for the User Guide on GitHub to add info on Context Menu > Fill Controls to the Saved Searches chapter.

I am very intimidated by GitHub and don't know what I'm doing, but I wanted to try to expand my brain and figure this out.

Let me know if it worked. If not, I'm happy to post the xhtml file here.
It's fine. I merged your pull request this morning. Thanks! If you don't plan on doing a lot of pull requests, it's probably easier to delete your Sigil fork (on github and locally on your machine) and start over next time you want to contribute. Otherwise you have to bother with pulling in the upstream changes to your fork. That can be a bit daunting for beginners.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #10
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I am very intimidated by GitHub .
Yes, it's hard to navigate. I can't imagine what a first time Sigil user would make of it.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Yes, it's hard to navigate. I can't imagine what a first time Sigil user would make of it.
A first time Sigil user has no need to "navigate" github, or make pull requests (which is what was actually intimidating @odamizu). You're conflating the daunting nature of learning how to use github--as a new user of github--with first time users of Sigil. Who have no need to use github (and no need to create a github account at all).

There are plenty of links that take users (new and old) directly to the release notices that have the downloads attached. No navigation required. Only a bit of reading (which I won't ever apologize for requiring).

Please stop with the passive/aggressive jabs.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-30-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Again - thanks for all the hard work!

I really don't like being the guy that just complains.... so .... I'm going to recommend a way to make Sigil even better! By fixing a minor bug that I found! lol

The preview pane doesn't update position properly, and/or just goes to the wrong place whenever you update the css.

To replicate:
- If you are finding some text and it switches to a new html page the code view will show the correct location with the found text highlighted, but the preview window just displays the top of the new html page. It appears to go to the correct location if the found phrase is on the same html page.

- If you are looking at a particular location in code view, then switch to the corresponding css (either with ctrl+click on the class name, or manually opening it) then the preview pane switches to some random view (rather than staying with the text you were working with). You can scroll back to the correct location on PV, but then any change to the CSS causes the PV to revert back to the previous random location.

- Also, I'm not sure if it is related, but when I open a book, the preview window seems to be flashing as if it is refreshing. When I change from the initial html page, the flashing seems to go away.

I hope that helps!

edit: Windows 64 (latest), only 16GB RAM, latest Sigil (1.6.0)

Last edited by Turtle91; 05-30-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
It's fine. I merged your pull request this morning. Thanks! If you don't plan on doing a lot of pull requests, it's probably easier to delete your Sigil fork (on github and locally on your machine) and start over next time you want to contribute. Otherwise you have to bother with pulling in the upstream changes to your fork. That can be a bit daunting for beginners.
Woohoo! I'm so thrilled. I have deleted my fork (repository?) and will re-fork every time I want to suggest a commit.

Quote:
... make pull requests (which is what was actually intimidating @odamizu). You're conflating the daunting nature of learning how to use github--as a new user of github--with first time users of Sigil. Who have no need to use github (and no need to create a github account at all).
Yes, indeed.

Making pull requests on GitHub = intimidating, what with all the forking and pulling and pushing and merging and cloning and branching ...

However, downloading Sigil from GitHub = no problem

Last edited by odamizu; 05-30-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Again - thanks for all the hard work!

I really don't like being the guy that just complains.... so .... I'm going to recommend a way to make Sigil even better! By fixing a minor bug that I found! lol

The preview pane doesn't update position properly, and/or just goes to the wrong place whenever you update the css.

To replicate:
- If you are finding some text and it switches to a new html page the code view will show the correct location with the found text highlighted, but the preview window just displays the top of the new html page. It appears to go to the correct location if the found phrase is on the same html page.

- If you are looking at a particular location in code view, then switch to the corresponding css (either with ctrl+click on the class name, or manually opening it) then the preview pane switches to some random view (rather than staying with the text you were working with). You can scroll back to the correct location on PV, but then any change to the CSS causes the PV to revert back to the previous random location.

- Also, I'm not sure if it is related, but when I open a book, the preview window seems to be flashing as if it is refreshing. When I change from the initial html page, the flashing seems to go away.

I hope that helps!

edit: Windows 64 (latest), only 16GB RAM, latest Sigil (1.6.0)
We'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

We may have inadvertently broken something with the changes to prevent double-loading.

And we will need to better store the last location when changing to another tab so that Preview will always be up to date.

I can look into that on Tuesday. I am tied up tomorrow.

Edit:

Actually, I took a look on macOS and I can not recreate what you are seeing.
The location Preview moves to is just not centred on the PV window but instead is placed at the top of the screen.

If I return to that tab (not the css tab) clicking on that line at the top of the Preview Window
brings me back to the exact same place in CV.

At least that is what I am seeing on macOS.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-30-2021 at 05:56 PM.