Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #121
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I was perusing the Guardian Books section yesterday, as it is the only newspaper with a decent book section not behind a paywall, and came across an article about the rise of new Space Opera. The article was the usual tone from this particular journalist, who seems to sneer at anything other than lit-fic and poetry. However, near the end I came across this: ‹snip›
The claim made in Space Opera strikes up again for a new era that Baen’s books have a political bias has been refuted quite nicely in this thread. But I would also like to point out that the claims the essay makes about Baen publisher Toni Weisskopf’s writings are demonstrably—and possibly actionably—false. (Basically, she wrote a somewhat rambling blog post calling for inclusivity and engagement across all segments of SF/F fandom; the Guardian article falsely characterizes it as a diatribe against SF/F whose politics she disagrees with.)
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #122
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I liked John Ringo's Posleen series at first, but the last couple of books didn't really do it for me. I love the Prince Roger series, the Looking Glass series, and the Council Wars series. The Cally's War spinoff from the Posleen series was pretty good.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #123
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Well, that's the first time I've seen a blog entry rendered unreadable by sidebar material covering the text.

Horrible. But I easily fixed it by using Pocket.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #124
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I think the discussion of ideological fiction was spot on. I have been reading Ringo's zombie post-apocalyptic series, which I've found tolerable despite the ideology, and a Michael Moore fat joke made by a 14 year old girl . Still, I wonder about my coworker who I believe rates Ringo as one of his favorite authors.
John Ringo came quite close to falling into the category of "authors who write books I hate myself for liking." And then I thought of the people I knew who were like the narrator and how I really can't stand them.

This was my impression of The Last Centurion.

Quote:
It's written in a breezy, foul-mouthed, funny conversational style which is a good thing because if it wasn't there would be no way I would have finished the thing. It was initially time-suckingly readable despite the (conservative) political ranting (and there were issues that I did and didn't agree with the narrator about there)--but then as things went on I realized the narrator was one of those annoying people who always thinks they know everything and Ringo set up the plot situation so that he was also Always Right and you know how irritating that can be. And there's some pretty vicious stuff here thrown at liberals and at Hillary Clinton (present under a thinly disguised pseudonym as "the B*tch" who destroyed the US Mao-style. I did wonder at one point whether the narrator was being set up as unreliable because of some remarks he made about his Persian concubine (don't ask) which seemed contradictory, but no, I think Ringo expects us to think this jerk is the ultimate hero
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #125
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Horrible. But I easily fixed it by using Pocket.
I don't know what that is but I read the html source until I got past the offending part.

Last edited by Joykins; 09-06-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Advert
Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #126
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I haven't read a lot of Baen books. However, I'm quite fond of Rick Cook's Wiz Zumwalt series and Legacy of the Stone Harp by Anderson & Sebanc.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:39 AM   #127
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I don't know what that is but I read the html source until I got past the offending part.
http://getpocket.com

Very handy for clipping articles for later. Also reduces webpages to simplified plaintext in a pinch.

You can do simliar things with Readability and a few other sites. Also Google Webcache has an option to view text-only versions of pages.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-07-2014 at 01:42 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #128
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm with Joykins. I tend to call John Ringo one of my guilty pleasures, as if his work should not be mentioned in polite company. The entire meme of "Oh John Ringo no" hits the mark, despite my liking some of his work.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #129
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I'm with Joykins. I tend to call John Ringo one of my guilty pleasures, as if his work should not be mentioned in polite company. The entire meme of "Oh John Ringo no" hits the mark, despite my liking some of his work.
Ringo used to write good military SF. These days he writes xenophobic, ultra right-wing, political diatribes which I personally find extremely unpleasant.

He, though, is in a small minority. I very much enjoy the overwhelming majority of Baen's output, and have bought every one of their monthly bundles since they started publishing them in the late 1990s.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #130
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
These days he writes xenophobic, ultra right-wing, political diatribes which I personally find extremely unpleasant.
Can you give an example of a title in this category?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #131
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I agree, what titles are you alluding to?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #132
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Can you give an example of a title in this category?
"The Last Centurion" would be a prime example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #133
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"The Last Centurion" would be a prime example.
+1. I tossed this after a chapter or two. I am looking forward to the next 'Troy Rising' book, though, if there is going to be one. Me likes my BIG space battles
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #134
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
+1. I tossed this after a chapter or two. I am looking forward to the next 'Troy Rising' book, though, if there is going to be one. Me likes my BIG space battles
Have you read Mark Van Name? His first one doesn't necessarily have LOTS of space battles, but I remember the second one leaning in that direction. He's a Baen author. I can't remember the titles of the series he wrote, but can look it up if you want!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #135
Joykins
Wizard

I love milSF too, which is why I tried Ringo. Apparently, I just picked the wrong book...